Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:19:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 234608 times)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2014, 04:19:57 AM »

Hey you got covered on RPS. Congrats!
Thanks! It's apparently a follow-up on the coverage from last month, which was the first official coverage Cogmind's ever gotten, and very surprising considering the game is still pre-alpha. I'm quite happy. I recall being so happy I even went to tell my wife (who cares nothing at all for video games) and she cut me off mid-sentence. Giggle

8-Bit Ape
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2014, 04:58:26 AM »

This is looking super awesome. Such great consistency of style. How long till we see some gameplay videos? The level structures are looking cool. I'm reminded of Space Hulk...
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2014, 05:29:33 AM »

Glad you like the direction!

I'm holding off on videos until they can really show the world as a whole. Development has been focused on many different parts of the underlying game and even much of the content, but the world itself hasn't been put together yet so I've been releasing gifs of isolated features instead. Only a couple days ago I started taking apart the prototype world (playable in the 7DRL from 2012) and piecing together the new one in its place.

The first video probably won't make the rounds for another couple months at least, and I'm thinking of waiting for an official trailer to show any video at all. I'm working full speed ahead now, but there's a *lot* to do... (it looks so simple, but it's really so... not =p)

Before a video comes out I'll be updating the website with a general screenshots and gifs section. Hopefully soonish but the development schedule sorta guides itself Wink

As for the level structure, expect some more variety coming up in the next few posts (next one 6/30). Looking cool is the first step--next is the harder step of making sure they *play* cool, too. Today I started work on machine design and distribution.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »

I recall being so happy I even went to tell my wife (who cares nothing at all for video games) and she cut me off mid-sentence. Giggle
Ah. Our better halves. How would we ever keep our feet on the ground without them?
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2014, 05:38:58 AM »

I recall being so happy I even went to tell my wife (who cares nothing at all for video games) and she cut me off mid-sentence. Giggle
Ah. Our better halves. How would we ever keep our feet on the ground without them?
Seriously... these feet are re-rooted quite firmly every time she opens her mouth. At least my dad thought it sounded cool, though he had no idea what "RPS" is Roll Eyes I told him it was "important," hehe.

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »

Hey, where does Cogmind (the 7DRL version) keep its savegame file? Surprisingly, data/save/savegame doesn't seem to be it.

On the subject, could the full version please pretty please delete the savegame on death, instead of on load? I've lost two promising games to crashes. Sad
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »

Hey, where does Cogmind (the 7DRL version) keep its savegame file? Surprisingly, data/save/savegame doesn't seem to be it.

On the subject, could the full version please pretty please delete the savegame on death, instead of on load? I've lost two promising games to crashes. Sad
The savegame issue was... me being mean Roll Eyes
A "diversionary" location to encourage people to play with permadeath, though really you could just copy the whole game directory if you want a "permanent save." The secret-but-now-not-so-secret-because-I'm-telling-you file is actually data/objects/data2.bin

Sorry about the crashes. The 7DRL is pretty stable overall but there were a couple bugs the program wasn't equipped to track down at the time.

Deleting the savegame on death instead of load was something I recall considering during and after the 7DRL, though I now forget the reason I decided against it. I suppose because force quitting the game would allow you to keep the last save? Now that you bring it up, destroying the save early is not really worth the annoyance if something legitimate screws up the run. That said, the full version is going to be a heck of a lot more stable and should never crash on you. I'll probably switch to the method you mention just in case.

I'm not sure how many times players are actually starting up the same run (from save). Since the game only saves on *exit*, there will be no save file at all if you haven't stopped at least once before. (And in the case of the 7DRL, games aren't usually all that long.)

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »

Another post in the mapgen series, Cellular Automata, in which we go spelunking,

mining,

and generally do cool things like combine the results with the previous generator:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2014, 04:23:14 AM »

Nice
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »

Love the combo of artificial and natural structures in the map.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2014, 08:10:19 PM »

Thanks guys, the main "dungeon" is all about rectangularity as in the original, but once/if you leave that area and explore other parts of the world there will definitely be some environmental differences (though the composite sample shown may be a bit oversized). Each route will have its own drawbacks and advantages; it's up to the player to decide which they prefer.

Today I added additional room-to-room "shortcuts" to the tunneling generator. These will be used as hidden emergency access routes for enemy combat units, though you can attach a new "structural scanner" utility to find and use them yourself.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2014, 06:20:57 AM »

Next post in procedural map series: Dungeon Metrics (or: What to do with that random bunch of open and closed cells created by an algorithm).

Play with it, that's what:

(Screenshots are still featuring an earlier pre-improvements version of the map generator, but the techniques discussed are all the same.)

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2014, 06:44:14 AM »

Last mapgen series post, this time about the hand-crafted map content implementation, where we get to do cool things like put skulls in maps (just for testing...):

or bases in caves

etc, etc... see how it's done

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »

Machine placement is now part of the map generation process. Read about it here.

The really fun stuff starts next week when we get to see them explode Wink

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:19 PM »

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: July 18, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »

Haha, yeah, something like that, just a little bit more ASCII. Definitely the right amount of robot, though.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2014, 05:07:52 AM »

Aaand... separate quote from Bay12 today about this same blog post:
Cogmind, Michael Bay edition?
Cheesy

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2014, 05:11:26 AM »

Make it a cheatcode - type in "Michael Bay" to blow up everything (including yourself)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

ASCII-plosions! Been busy blowing things up:

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »

Deleting the savegame on death instead of load was something I recall considering during and after the 7DRL, though I now forget the reason I decided against it. I suppose because force quitting the game would allow you to keep the last save? Now that you bring it up, destroying the save early is not really worth the annoyance if something legitimate screws up the run. That said, the full version is going to be a heck of a lot more stable and should never crash on you. I'll probably switch to the method you mention just in case.
Awesome, thanks! It's good to hear that the full version will be very stable, but one of my crashes was actually caused by the whole system locking up, so that wouldn't have helped.

In my experience, taking extreme measures to stop players from savescumming (or cheating in general, in single-player games) is never worth it. By all means make the "official" options support the gameplay you want, but if someone chooses to bypass that, it doesn't affect anyone but themself.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic