Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:54:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71
Print
Author Topic: Cogmind (sci-fi robot-themed roguelike) - BETA RELEASED  (Read 236858 times)
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2014, 04:32:08 PM »

Working on new save mechanics today, which should ensure that no significant amount of progress will be lost. Current plan: Auto-save on every new map, and whenever the window is closed. The save file is only deleted on death.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »

This week's blog post will be late since I'll be away for the weekend without a computer. In the meantime, have this gif of Cogmind using a Gravity Flail to swat a flying robot back into a Nuclear Reactor, which then explodes and kills all his friends:

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2014, 05:16:50 PM »

Very impressive effects, particularly given the tiny resolution. Seems like that ought to have been bad for Cogmind too...
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: July 24, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »

Thanks, and yes, most certainly bad for Cogmind (hence the screenshake and glitching), except when I've given myself 100x the normal core integrity Wink

I can imagine someone might do this if they were low on weaponry, high on HP, and surrounded by enemies, but otherwise a situation to avoid!

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 24, 2014, 10:24:26 PM »

Better late than never, subscribed. Smiley

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »

Heh, mostly the same stuff as on Twitter Wink (though that's such a fleeting way to communicate...) But, WELCOME!

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2014, 12:49:21 AM »

Just want to be sure that I don't miss anything. Shrug

Also, posts here can be longer than 140 symbols, obviously :D...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:03:50 AM by 0x0961h » Logged

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2014, 03:08:42 PM »

An overview of non-interactive machines, including their distribution and impact on gameplay (explosions!): http://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2014/07/non-interactive-machines/

Lots of gifs, e.g.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »

Ha awesome! Also I just followed you on twitter so look forward to daily twitter-gifs. Tongue

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2014, 07:50:01 PM »

Heh, I wish. I do tend to put different, earlier, and more frequent visual updates on Twitter, but then there can be spells where there's so much non-visual stuff to deal with! Roguelikes...

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »

As a side note: what are your thoughts on graphics? Personally, I usually dislike RL tilesets (DC:SS is especially ugly), but Infra Arcana showed me how simple graphics *can* be better than ascii while retaining the RL feel.

I did some quick tiles for cogmind to show what I mean. Although I think the robot is too specific, the machine retains its abstraction but has a little more character. Anyway, I'm the master of scope-creep so you probably should just ignore me.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »

Wow, I like it! I wouldn't call this feature creep, because the only way a traditional roguelike can access the gaming audience at large is with a tileset. I don't like most tilesets myself--DCSS is okay (for a free game), ToME is one that I really dislike. IA uses a nice style that retains the simplicity of ASCII but provides a more unique appearance, and is precisely the style I plan to use for an eventual tileset. The Cogmind prototype came with a sprite set in that vein a couple years ago (and yes, the sprite for "Cogmind" was still pretty symbolic because it represents something not so concrete). I will probably be hiring someone else to do it, because I'm not a great pixel artist.

I really like your machine there, though for now my plan is to stick with sprites for only the robots and items. The problem with the machines is that drawing them like that is too specific/detailed to be scalable without requiring a huge amount of work. Any sprites/images must be drawn in each font size the game supports, which as planned will be 10x10, 12x12, 16x16, 18x18, 20x20. That's a lot of drawing and re-drawing. As is it's a tiny amount of work to do a large number of machines in the extended ASCII character set, for which multiple sizes for each font sheet already exist. Things may change later on, but for now we'll have to keep everything within the realm of "doable in a reasonable time frame, and on a low budget."

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2014, 10:18:50 PM »

Ah cool, yeah Oryx does a great job with minimal graphics. As for the machines and world tiles, I imagined each tile as actually a few different parts that are context-dependent. With a little bit of 'animation' (two-frames) and some colour cycling, it could really make your game stand out (visually). But ultimately as you said it's more work and doesn't really contribute to the game play -- still, I love this post-ascii RL era we're in and I want to see it pushed far.. :D

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2014, 10:25:56 PM »

still, I love this post-ascii RL era we're in and I want to see it pushed far.. :D
I'm pushing as many boundaries as I can get away with and hopefully still be called a "traditional roguelike" Wink

and some colour cycling
As a side note, some players have already spoken out against any kind of persistent animation in the map area, at least anything purely aesthetic / non-informational, since it could be distracting. Sure it could be optional, but just throwing that out there. This is one of the general design principles that I've been sticking to for now.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »

But machines go bleep-bloop and having little flashing lights! Subtle and rare animation could be good, but I also see the aesthetic of having a static scene, like a chess board, that you analyse before moving. Anyway, good luck with all this!

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2014, 11:27:57 PM »

machines go bleep-bloop
That'll be coming from the speakers when you approach them Wink

For now the map will be completely static except for when/where something is happening, be it an action or map UI animation (which I'm still getting to). It will at times get pretty lively, but I wouldn't want players to confuse unimportant and important information, even more so if having to differentiate between the two slows down play. A favorite gripe about non-roguelike games by some RL players is that there's too much noise onscreen.

Thanks and as always, "we'll see how it turns out..."

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2014, 03:44:16 AM »

Today was writing up the next blog post and noticed how lively the media page is in my wordpress installation. Check out all those gifs.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »

A little writeup on the new projectile penetration mechanic.

And a demonstration (more on blog):

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2014, 02:07:43 AM »

That looks like a fantastic game mechanic. Like you wrote yourself, a worthy addition to game variety.
Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2014, 04:06:34 AM »

Thanks. As I was playtesting a couple months back it was the only thing I kept wishing again and again that I could do, so I figured the game must really need that mechanic Wink

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 71
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic