Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:17:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookEndless Cavern [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Endless Cavern [FINISHED]  (Read 16413 times)
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »

14! I felt such a sense of achievement, as I plummeted to the cavern floor, chased by a white line.

Once the controls made sense to me, I really liked this. It's pretty hard on the wrists, though, what with all the tapping.

Is there only one cavern, then? Thought you were going to add more, and some 'special areas'? Or am I just too rubbish to get that far?

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
increpare
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 02:56:35 PM »

Is there only one cavern, then? Thought you were going to add more, and some 'special areas'?
The cavern does change in various ways as you progress further.  If you're at a score of 14, you've probably not seen any of them though.  ( However, don't expect any extra narrative, colours, obstructions, or dancing gnomes).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:16:06 PM by increpare » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2008, 04:56:55 PM »

Soooo hard. o.o My best is 24. I didn't see any difference in the caves.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2008, 05:40:18 PM »

I got to about 20 when the computer started stuttering severely (I blame Vista).
I was annoyed that I would get such inconsistent updates on what was going on, but took advantage of the slowed-down state to mash left (I prefer going left) a whole bunch during the pauses.  I managed to ride this technique to I think 34?  Before I crashed.  So I got to see the cavern change a bit.

I really like the resolution/lighting changes with distance.  It gives it a creepy, amorphous feel.
increpare
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008, 07:17:54 PM »

I got to about 20 when the computer started stuttering severely (I blame Vista).
I hadn't noticed anything funny like that on osx or xp, and there shouldn't be any reason why things get more processor-intensive later on, so I guess i'm going to have to blame vista as well ... .

Anyway, congrats on the 34, whatever the means! I'm not able to get much further than that myself; I don't think I've broken 40 yet... . (also congrats to melly for the 24).
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »

IT'S FRIGGIN' IMPOSSIBE!
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 09:16:50 PM »

Very cool style, but I had a bit of trouble getting the hang of it due to the lack of reference points in the background. When its just blue with the white in the middle you can't tell where you are going. Maybe just some tiny pixels here and there in the blue so you can get a sense of speed. Bug I enjoyed it nonetheless, simple and elegant.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:30:14 PM by mrfredman » Logged
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 01:19:36 AM »

Okay, I'm going to keep trying for a high score in this. 14 simply isn't good enough.

34 to beat!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

increpare
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2008, 06:54:56 AM »

Very cool style, but I had a bit of trouble getting the hang of it due to the lack of reference points in the background.
hmm; interesting - it hadn't occurred to me that this might be a problem.  I don't think I'm going to change anything about the original (the aesthetic has sort of set now for me, and I'm reluctant to change it), however, fwiw, I'm half-working on a sequel at the moment (though development is currently suspended), and that should deal with your issues:

And: good luck Synnah!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:01:29 AM by increpare » Logged
Graham Lexie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »

Ahaha it just occured to me how confusing it would be if pushing up and down switched your 3rd(or higher, of course) derivative instead of 2nd. I wanna try that now.
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2008, 02:34:38 PM »

Woo, I managed 30! I liked how the cavern opened up between 15 and 22, before narrowing again for a while, and then opening into a vast space below you at around 29. I really felt like I was emerging from a narrow tunnel into the top of a vast cave. And then I crashed.

The music also works perfectly; the longer you play for, the more its monotony becomes part of the gameplay. I know you usually do your own music, but if you ever resume Endless Cavern 3D, I'd be happy to do a reworking of this song, keeping the general melody, but running a series of effects on it. Just an idea I had.

Bob le Moche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

I really like the technology but I can't beat my high score of 5!  Cry
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 08:59:44 AM »

HIGH SCORE.

Took this screenshot shortly before I crashed, with a score of 42.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 07:11:31 PM »

I died so many times! Your game is crushing my self esteem!  Cry

increpare
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 07:53:42 AM »

congratulations synnah.  I think that's higher than even what I've so-far been able to manage so far...

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic