Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:35:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhoenotopia (prev. Legend of Stone Hero)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Phoenotopia (prev. Legend of Stone Hero)  (Read 10647 times)
Quells122
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »

Welp, the game's finally done. I went for a sponsorship so it's free to play and out now on www.newgrounds.com

Youtube Launch Trailer:

Now that I'm done, I can say with certainty that it takes a lot out of you. Man I'm tired!

---------------- OLD STUFF-----------------------
Hi Everyone,

I've been working on this game as a hobby for the past 2 years, adding to it little by little between work and other commitments. Then about 3 months ago, I began working on it full-time. I'm calling it "Legend of Stone Hero" (or "Strong Gale", still debating what the title should be). I started out making a platformer, and then thanks to unending feature creep, it became a 2D Zelda sidescroller.

About the Game
The game is heavily Zelda inspired, and is temporarily using some zelda sound effects and music (until my musician and I can catch up). I do aim to differentiate the gameplay and puzzles from Zelda, and explore a more futuristic setting and tools, but won't get to do much of that in this first game, due to story line reasons.

The story follows Gale, a girl of a small farming town, as she is thrust into the role of hero after all the adults are abducted by aliens, making her the oldest (and therefore most responsible) adult.

What am I using
I'm using Flash Develop, Flash Punk, Tiled, Audacity, and Photoshop. I've also commissioned some sprites from artists I found on pixelation, and will probably look for one more before this project is done.

Platforms
It's a flash game. I'm thinking I'll aim for sponsorship when it's done to get it on to a flash portal.

See Video
I threw together some footage from the first 3 areas of the game. See it

Try the game (and leave feedback)
I would really appreciate your guy's feedback. You can use this FGL fan account to try it. Click here (https://www.fgl.com/login.php?username=Viewer54321) and then log in with the following Username and Password:
Username: Viewer54321
Password: huntzeroeight

So far, the demo on FGL covers the first 3 areas, a bit past the first boss (who is just rectangles, until I can get some graphics in).

Some Old Media

Concept lineart of the main character (I plan to color it eventually)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 06:28:28 AM by Quells122 » Logged

Current Project:
Legend of Stone Hero
Quells122
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:58:36 AM »

Wow. Can't believe it's been a week already.

My pixel help ad on wayofthepixel has found me a helper by the name of “pirate”. They've already produced for me some nice looking NPCs. Thanks Pirate!

I’ve also started blocking out how the final area of the game will be in my head. I needed something to really sell the message “This area is off-limits!”, so I drew and created this guy.

Though right as I was typing this, I realized they really look like Beamos from Zelda >_>

Also, Burcag Yildirim was kind enough to draw for me a concept art of the main character. Thanks Burcag!

Current Project:
Legend of Stone Hero
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:16:40 AM »

Looks cool, I like the art style.

Edit: I tried the demo out.  Some feedback follows ..

You should work on the player's run cycle, it seems a bit stiff.

The text when you get the wooden paddle makes it sound like you can hit townspeople with it, I'd suggest changing that ..

Sometimes when you hit the switch to open the town exit, it hits twice, causing it to revert right back to it's previous state.

Some of the sound effects, paticuarly the impact ones, don't really fit in with the rest of the game.  Might want to replace them with sound effects from BFXR or something.  Also, you might want to add a sound for when the player swings a weapon.

Is there any reason the player can't move or attack after attacking in the air and not completing the attack animation before landing?  Seems really cumbersome.

Also I think you should decelerate faster if you attack while running, I found myself sliding right into enemies like the floor was made of ice.

I think you should also recover full or at least half life from a save point, instead of having it save your current health value .. I recovered from death and still had 6 life left from when I saved.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:28:02 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Quells122
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 04:03:26 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback, Udderdude!

I've worked on this game for too long to notice what may be really obvious errors. My eyes can't see the stiffness of the running animation >_>. I plan to have the whole main character sprite revamped, so hopefully it'll be much better in the future.

The text for the paddle? Consider that changed! The door bug? Marked for deletion. And i'll look for better sound effects. What I really want is a program that 8-bitifes higher resolution sounds. Does such a thing exist?

I'll make the deceleration while attacking on ground faster for sure. I took a page out of smash brothers, and figured since the attack comes out faster and with a bigger hitbox in the air, there should be a penalty for using it too near the ground. I'll have to ruminate hard on what should happen here.

And good point about the savepoint thing. My biggest fear is that it becomes like modern Zeldas, where you're running around with 4 health potions and there's never a reason to need them. What I hope to achieve is make the player want to stock up on healing items and that they would be expended naturally by the end of a dungeon. There's something really epic about using up all your items to barely get through a dungeon. Though I guess the way it is now is just annoying, so I'll give healing half-health a shot.

Thanks again for all your feedback, it's much appreciated!

Current Project:
Legend of Stone Hero
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 04:40:53 PM »

No prob .. here's a link to BFXR if you want to play around with it.  http://www.bfxr.net/
EdgarTheGame
Level 0

Invisible things are the only realities.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »

Interesting to see a Zeldalike with a female protagonist. Looks pretty neat.

ZeppelinCaptain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 05:11:20 AM »

I'm digging the small quips from the townspeople, they remind me of pokémon and similar games (I've never played zelda). I also like the mood of the village, with the small houses and the grandmas Grin. The background is very nice as well.

The bold forest has some promising level design, but it seems a bit vast for a first dungeon. You've never fought an enemy before, and suddenly you have to manage health herbs and fight megafrogs and cave owls like a pro. I don't mind the difficulty, but the length just makes the game seem a bit stale from the get-go, since the ancient ruins feels so big (I never completed it, so I don't actually know how big it is. Maybe I was a rooom away from completion?  Shocked). Maybe it could be solved by just putting a save-point somewhere earlier, but that doesn't seem to be in the spirit of what you're aiming for?

The slingshot is just super cool. I like the tension of waiting for the aim to rise in order to hit that frog in mid-air  Ninja

Small bug found: when you go to buy herbs from one of the townspeople, the marker for Don't buy/buy is a line off.

Quells122
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »

@ZeppelinCaptain, Thanks for your feedback! Yours came to me as a surprise since I was worried the dungeons were too short. I definitely need to rework that first level later with play testing when I'm done, maybe add some visual ques to help denote progress. Text alignment has been a BIG problem for me. I thought I've fixed that bug numerous times, but it generally pops up again somewhere and it's hard to recreate. It may be time for drastic measures...

In the meantime, after some back and forth with one of my artists, this is the new Gale design. Generally people didn't know the main character was a girl, so hopefully this time the skirt and hairband make it clear.

I also reworked the Title Screen and added support for multiple save files. Something about having three save file slots in the title screen makes it feel like a big adventure is about to unfold.

Current Project:
Legend of Stone Hero
Quells122
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 09:31:01 PM »

The Project Lives! (it was never dead, but I sure suck at this blogging thing)

Latest Video:

Latest successes/changes in no particular order
- figured out how to get the percent icon next to my game. Yay.
- 2nd boss fight is finished. It's like a Dodongo?
- main character changed colors (guess I'm attached to the pink hair)
- game got a new name, Phoenotopia
- Also, got a domain name tied to my tumblr. sweet. http://phoenotopia.com/

Current Project:
Legend of Stone Hero
Quells122
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 06:29:33 AM »

Welp, the game's finally done. I went for a sponsorship so it's free to play and out now on www.newgrounds.com

Youtube Launch Trailer:

Now that I'm done, I can say with certainty that it takes a lot out of you. Man I'm tired!

Current Project:
Legend of Stone Hero
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic