Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:30:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Maker For Beginners: Part II
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker For Beginners: Part II  (Read 136435 times)
The-Imp
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2009, 01:48:18 PM »

The first ones melted my brain, in a bad way.
 Embarrassed

I believe I'm not able to comprehend much, that's why I do pixel art.
 Durr...?

But they were both interesting to read though!
Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2009, 01:29:40 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

The first ones melted my brain, in a bad way.
 Embarrassed

I believe I'm not able to comprehend much, that's why I do pixel art.
 Durr...?

But they were both interesting to read though!

I'm curious where you got tripped up.  You are doing them step by step, right, along with the program? 

These tutorials are very good in that they eliminate the bad preset GM stuff and teach you to use code right away.  I'm not a programmer and I see the need for that.  The tutorial might be a little tougher for now, but it makes later transitions a ton easier (well, I'm assuming).  Like figuring out "fast-loops" in MMF took me forever... so many quirky rules about them.

-PENCERKOFF

Ninja Disguise
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2009, 06:41:11 PM »

I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but for some reason oEnemy01 (my basic enemy) doesn't want to inherit the 'hp' variable from oEnemy, which I'm using as its parent. When I run the game I get an error message saying it doesn't know what variable 'hp' is in the 'if hp < 1' piece of code in oEnemy01.

EDIT: And I know why: because I put 'image_speed' in the creation event for oEnemy01, which overrides the 'hp = 1' creation event for oEnemy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:47:29 PM by Ninja Disguise » Logged
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

Just went through this part of the tutorial series. I got a lot little lost, but not too much. I like hand holding a lot, so when certain steps where omitted under the assumption we know how to do it, I had trouble following.

Otherwise, very nice.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2009, 12:51:08 AM »

You're awesome for this Derek.

I was missing something like this though for making an animation from a spritesheet:

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 01, 2009, 01:48:33 AM »

Is this what everyone does, manually cut up sprite sheets?
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2009, 02:16:14 AM »

Is this what everyone does, manually cut up sprite sheets?
"Create from strip" is the other option, right?  Most of my older project I just did the graphics in GM, but now that I really care about alternative graphics (photographs of stuff; texturing; collaging, crazy shit, essentially), almost all of it will be loaded (this doesn't count for prototyping, of course, and that's about all I've had time for lately).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 01, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »

It depends on the game, usually I use a sprite sheet, sometimes I use an animated GIF, sometimes I import individual images manually and then put them in order in GM's sprite editor. But sprite sheets are generally the easiest to deal with.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 01, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Hm, ok. Being reminded of this, I've released a super old program of mine for cutting up sprite sheets into the constituent sprites. I guess that might be useful to people here.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 01, 2009, 01:02:51 PM »

Game Maker does that automatically though -- you can load a sprite sheet, tell it the width and height of each element and the number of elements and it loads it fine. (They all have to be the same width and height though.)

JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:49 AM »

Were you a little inconsistent with the naming of oEnemy, oEnemyBasic, and oEnemyFlyer, or am I just not paying enough attention?
DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2009, 10:28:49 PM »

I am having a little trouble with applying the fire delay: in which object's Actions am I supposed to enter these lines of codes? I tried it both with PlayerShip and PlayerShot and I can't seem to get it to work...

(Otherwise I think this tutorial is well written and very fun to follow.)
Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »

it's got to go in the step event of oPlayerShip, right where the original code you put in to fire it is. make sure to define the variables in the create event too, or it wont work (it probably wouldn't even compile)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »

Game Maker does that automatically though -- you can load a sprite sheet, tell it the width and height of each element and the number of elements and it loads it fine. (They all have to be the same width and height though.)

It does what now?

God damn. That would save me... a whole lot of time.

I'm still getting that "Sprite Choppa" though! Cause sometimes I like to do things manually. Thanks Boris!  Smiley
ubersquiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2009, 10:57:54 AM »

Were you a little inconsistent with the naming of oEnemy, oEnemyBasic, and oEnemyFlyer, or am I just not paying enough attention?

Yes i noticed this too, its been making me scratch my head for the last 20 minutes. And then there is mention of chaning the animation speed with a variable, but no mention of where or how to do it, unless im not paying enough attention either ?
rrrowdy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »

Thanks for the tutorials, they're really really useful! They've at least provided enough basic definitions for me to get my head around what's happening, and enough starting points to launch me into other things.

(Ha... stupidly requested the third one, then found it. Nevermind).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:34:13 PM by rrrowdy » Logged
jakten
Level 0

さわるとふらふらワタボー!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »

I'm having a bit of trouble. I added the variable hp = 1. to oEnemy under the create event. But when I run the script it says that hp is unrecognized and I get errors from ever object that contains the variable "hp". How can i fix this? Everything else runs fine except the HP thing.

Sometimes when I delete some of the coding that has HP in it it will run fine, but when I press fire no bullet comes out and the enemy explodes..

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object oPlayerShot1:

Error in code at line 2:
   other.hp -= 1;

at position 2: Unknown variable hp

Edit: nevermind, I didn't understand that i had to make a collision event. Although I found that adding HP to the hp variable does nothing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:23:09 PM by jakten » Logged

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2010, 07:22:49 PM »

Thank you very much for these tutorials, Derek! I'm really learning a ton from these. Unfortunately, I always tend to make some stupid mistake when I'm programming, and I'm sure that's what's causing this:

for object oEnemyBasic:

Error in code at line 1:
   if (hp < 1)
      ^
at position 5: Unknown variable hp

I put the Collision event in the PlayerShot, I have the hp variable in Enemy and the EnemyBasic has the Enemy as a Parent... so I'm kinda scratching my head and trying to figure out where I screwed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2010, 07:35:32 PM »

Assuming you created a variable "hp" in the EnemyBasic object's Create Event, if you have a Create Event for any child objects (e.g. Enemy), you'll have to make sure it inherits parent actions. Easy way to do this is to write this as the first line of the Execute Code action of the Create Event for Enemy:
Code:
event_inherited();

This way, any of the actions from EnemyBasic's Create Event should carry over. (It's kind of like calling super() in a language like Java, C++, or ActionScript). Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 09:21:43 PM by imaginationac » Logged

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Houndninja
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »

Thanks these tutorials are really helping me and they look complicated but really are easy to understand and make so much sense.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic