Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:29:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBetelgeuse
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Betelgeuse  (Read 76949 times)
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 05:34:24 AM »

Posting so that I get updates Smiley totally missed that this was a thing.
You'll want to push the highlights in that NES version more, TV screens of that time had shitty contrast and that screen would turn out pretty muddy, I expect.
Then I had to try it on every TV, which can get up to.

numbers you're the bomb, keep up the good work. I'll be satisfied with this while I wait for 5734L3R!  Wink
Okey Smiley

Every time I see this game I feel like I need to work on my tile sets. Loving the colors!
I like new tileset, it improves readability of objects and level "topography":

My current headache - sprites. I want to make it simple and laconic with minimum colors and maximum of contrast, but that will have the impression of 3D.

Possible NES version? yeah! (would you do it yourself?) following... Screenshots look excellent, keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Will do it, if I find a NES programmer. =)

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »

Why do all the doors go down, while the south door goes up?

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 03:39:08 PM »

They don't, the thing visible at the edges is on the roof, see the difference between the top and side doors Smiley

08 for the 3d look on the sprite, shadows help a lot with grounding something. The new level tiles are good but make sure your alignments make some functional sense - why are they randomly alternating between big tiles and little tiles, what might the they use the little pink wall lights for and how can you inform level design with those insights. Having some guidelines for construction will help it feel much more consistent.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 10:19:28 PM »

kurtss, you mean on this picture?

Geti, possible, I'll think about it. Objects (powerups and bonuses) will appear from dead enemies. Currently we have only enemies, walls and pits on the maps, no other objects, but later we can add something else and maybe this will require functional sense.

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:56 PM »

I think I was replying to an imagine on the first page, perhaps I missed that you've fixed it.

wizbane
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »

This is looking really slick, definitely reminds me of SmashTV, but way better! The animations are looking great so far, can't wait to see some gameplay vids/gifs.
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2014, 01:34:31 AM »

Agreed, this looks pretty awesome. I enjoyed Alien Swarm quite a bit and I love pixels so this could be really enjoyable, boss looks awesome

matriax
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2014, 02:46:32 AM »

I Love the palette used Smiley .

But for some reason i prefer the first mockups, i don't know, they are more dirty/darkness, and a feel of some cool ambient. The last big one is maybe too bright but well is more readable as some people say.
LiberalNerdism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »

I want to take that tileset out to dinner. Buy it nice things. Maybe go on a romantic getaway together.

I can't wait to play this game.
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »

wizbane, LiberalNerdism, thank you!

Agreed, this looks pretty awesome. I enjoyed Alien Swarm quite a bit and I love pixels so this could be really enjoyable, boss looks awesome

Сurrently game is look more like a SmashTV. The player moves from room to room, which have a size like the game screen.

matriax Actually I used green and blue palettes too and also tiles from that first mockups on some levels, check gif in bottom of this post ^___-

Last month have not time to tell you about development progress, but project is live! We are work on this, some current work stuff:

Also, now we have FB page and modDB page.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:26:47 PM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 01:01:51 AM »

The graphical style comes out really well. If you still have a potential port to a real NES in your mind, you may want to align your texts properly to the 8x8 tile matrix. Here's what I mean:

I hope I can see some gameplay action soon, keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 01:41:54 AM »

There was a playable online version available somewhere, but it seems OP hasn't posted it here. I remember playing that, and it felt way faster than I had imagined from the pictures.
retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »

I'm so excited for this, your pixel work is amazing, and the game looks fantastic! Give it to me Beg Just kidding, take your time and finish it Smiley

Anyways I gave it a watch  Blink

Also I love how me and Alex's INFilstrUcTURE, which is awesome to me that they are both space games!

Cheers Beer!

Toast LeftWizardHand Metal Left
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »

The graphical style comes out really well. If you still have a potential port to a real NES in your mind, you may want to align your texts properly to the 8x8 tile matrix.

This is how it started in semptember of last year c: I wanted to make NES game:

I hope I can see some gameplay action soon, keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I can't show the game in near future, because at first we have to put it on FGL. But as for shooter part of game all main features and objects are ready, here they are:

So I will try to publish video in near future, which would show the gameplay and progress of development.

I remember playing that, and it felt way faster than I had imagined from the pictures.

Now the gameplay is very different from that early version, so I removes, this month we have done a lot of things.

Also I love how me and Alex's INFilstrUcTURE, which is awesome to me that they are both space games!

Thank you! I look forward to your INFilstrUcTURE. Love the visual style, it's pretty cool, my respect to Alex! And can't wait to try out the gameplay. ^___-

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 10:42:04 PM »

Looks promising.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 04:19:34 AM »

Looks promising.

I will publish game in "Feedback" section as soon as I can. And I hope you enjoy the gameplay.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »

Wow, this looks really cool.  I love your color choices.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2014, 11:22:01 AM »

DANG the colors and tiles and fonts are all so neat. gr8 job.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »

♪ What is love ? ♫
retrostark
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 06:22:36 PM »

♪ What is love ? ♫

This looks so awesome. It really puts a whole new feel on the game.  Wink