Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:22:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallVictory Bout. 2 player boxing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Victory Bout. 2 player boxing  (Read 6754 times)
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:04:11 AM »

Victory Bout is a 2 player only, 2d, retro boxing game that recreates the two player sessions of the 8-bit consoles. Can't defeat your opponent in game? Then use your offscreen persona to stun your opponent, creating a mix of on and offscreen gameplay.

Now with punching, colouring, more punching and slapping.

So I decided I should put this game up on the d-pad site to give people something to mess around with while I work on Owlboy, but the last time I put it up, it was more or less broken, so I had to do a bit of fixing to make something you could actually play at all. The game is basically a really simple boxing engine that I made for kicks, but at it's core, it's an experiment on social play. I wanted to see if just teasing your opponent would impact how people play the game, so I added a slapping mechanic for the players in front of the TV that didn't actually do anything other than annoy the opponent. Judging from the feedback I got, people didn't really get all that more engaged, so I've remade it to where your slaps makes your opponents ingame boxer dizzy. At the same time, your offscreen character can now dodge slaps, giving it a tactical element.

The gameplay is simple. Select a set of colours, start the match. Punches can be blocked, charge punches breaks blocking, slaps makes character dizzy but you can dodge the slaps. 3 KOs and you're out.

I realise that everyone will request a 1 player mode because there's no one to play with, but I can't sit down and program a 1 player mode when I've got Owlboy looming overhead. I'm thinking of remaking the whole thing later anyway, so enjoy it if you can.

All the instructions you need should be in the readme that commes with the game. Just remember that you ALT + F4 out of it.

Magic game link

Let's see who will the the first to unlock super afro mode.  Gentleman

The-Imp
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »

YES!

I shall love you for the rest of my days!
 Kiss
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:58:47 AM »

I notice your health bars contain the colour yellow, should we consider that as a personal failure?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:17:50 PM »

I notice your health bars contain the colour yellow, should we consider that as a personal failure?

I've been pondering about this one and I still don't understand what you're getting at, but here are my best guesses:

1: The NES didn't have a pure yellow, just a near yellow orange.
A: I never said I was going by NES restrictions. In fact, the palette mostly consists of MSPaint default colours so I could set the program to replace them in the colour selection quicker.

2: You loathe Streetfighter 2 and the Final Fight series and they use yellow health bars.
A: Nope. The health bars are still awesome.

3: You have grown a love for this game that is so strong that it's gone past the maximum limit and ended up on the negative scale, thus making all your comments about it negative when in reality, you mean that yellow health bars are pure win.
A: Right on!

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »

It was #1 and #4
(#4=being extremely angry of the impossibility of playing this game because of no one-player mode) Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 08:22:15 PM »

Then, to further it, you slap each other in real life!

Anyways, this sounds really cool, but I have no friends, so  Sad
Yes, you should consider it your own personal failure.

WHY DIDN'T YOU BREAK INTO SNAKE'S HOUSE AND MODIFY THE ART WHILE HE SLEPT

NOW WE ALL SUFFER BECAUSE OF YOUR FOLLY
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 09:56:33 AM »

(#4=being extremely angry of the impossibility of playing this game because of no one-player mode) Gentleman

Anyways, this sounds really cool, but I have no friends, so  Sad

I was expecting that. I'd have a go at making a single player mode, but I have to consentrate on my other project right now. Once I get a free moment I could try putting  in some AI. I'll need a lot of time to do that though. Making a flexible AI in MMF is no cakewalk. (Not that anyone wants to ruin cake by walking on it.)

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »

I had problems getting the second player's color to select, even with the right buttons =( What's wrong wif me!
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »

I had problems getting the second player's color to select, even with the right buttons =( What's wrong wif me!

That's strange... I haven't had any problems with that. At least, not in ages. I sorted that out a while ago. Anything spesific happening? Something that happens at random, or after a series of matches?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic