Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 01:37:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAquaria for Mac!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aquaria for Mac!  (Read 5651 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:01:20 PM »

http://www.bit-blot.com/?p=136

At long last, the Mac version of Aquaria is out!  This has a lot of improvements over the Windows version, and was made to be as "Mac-ey" as possible, so... yeah.  Woo-hoo!  The Windows version will get a patch eventually, but for now, Mac is superior. Wink

Alec worked his butt off on this, like he works his butt off on any project he works on.  Send him your love!

And try the game, if you're so inclined!  Thanks, guys, for all your support over the years.  Really and truly.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »

Yay, great job.  Beer!

In fact, these features will be exclusive to the Mac version of Aquaria...
Any ballpark dates for the updated Windows version? And a Linux version, maybe?

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 01:49:11 PM »

Awesome, I've been holding out for this!! I just got the spam about it into my inbox!   I didn't want to play on my 12" laptop screen, so I can now play it on my lovely 24" mac screen!  Insta-buy! :D

edit: Now bought!  I'm $30 poorer, license key in hand, and downloading the 200mb install. I'm looking forward to trying this out. Smiley
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:16:05 PM by dock » Logged

twitter: @docky
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »

It's about time! You've been workin on this which seems like FOOOORRRREEEEVVVEEERRRR. Good Job, Alec.
Michael Buckley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »

Wow, fantastic job. You've definitely got my $30 once I cash my next paycheck. You'll forgive me for poking into a few of the internals, but I was really impressed by how much effort you've gone to to create an authentic Mac experience. It's more than any PC game I've seen ported to Mac. The only Mac-specific problem that I can foresee is using Sparkle as your update engine. Sparkle is great, and I use it for my products, but unless you've modified it, it must download the entire game, not just the parts that have changed. Even though the game was only a 200 MB download, it took about 20 minutes to download from Ambrosia on a fast connection.

The game ran very well, even on my Mac Mini with Intel graphics, and I was happy to find that widescreen is supported. There were a few small things I found that could be improved, but you guys, especially Alec, deserve to celebrate, so it's probably not the best time.

Congrats!
adamrobo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:17:09 PM »

Congrats! Drinks are on me the next time you are in LA. That goes for you too, Alec. Beer!

Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 03:26:42 AM »

nice one. can't wait for the windows update.

@optriromini
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »

Even though the game was only a 200 MB download, it took about 20 minutes to download from Ambrosia on a fast connection.

I'm assuming that Ambrosia's primary download site was being hammered;  I was getting about 1k per second transfer rate from it.  When I switched over to their first mirror site, I was back to a zippy 1meg per second.  Smiley

(And Aquaria is awesome;  runs great at max resolution on my MacBook Pro)
Michael Buckley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »

Even though the game was only a 200 MB download, it took about 20 minutes to download from Ambrosia on a fast connection.

I'm assuming that Ambrosia's primary download site was being hammered;  I was getting about 1k per second transfer rate from it.  When I switched over to their first mirror site, I was back to a zippy 1meg per second.  Smiley

Point taken, but Sparkle isn't going to give you an option of mirrors. It's not that I find the 20 minute download unreasonable, it's just that 20 minutes for each update might be a tad excessive.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 11:27:37 AM »

It's about time! You've been workin on this which seems like FOOOORRRREEEEVVVEEERRRR. Good Job, Alec.

Haha, thanks a lot guys! Smiley

It was a long, painful haul but its over and the game is more sexy for it.  Kiss

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 12:56:19 AM »

I like its awesomeness.

Finally I can givesend you guys some munney.
EDIT: And lurve.

Send.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic