Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:08:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Guild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]  (Read 88231 times)
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2014, 02:12:57 AM »

Fred sent me a video mockup of the new battle screen + animation to move the hero & monster into it, here it is on youtube:

wearepinata
Level 0

Piñata Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2014, 03:27:40 PM »

Started playing the demo of this and ended up playing for about half an hour. Nice work!

Piñata Games
Facebook // Twitter

We made Tamak and Magnetix
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2014, 02:30:26 AM »

Started playing the demo of this and ended up playing for about half an hour. Nice work!

Thanks wearepinata! I brought the game along to a Dublin gamedev meetup on Friday and it was encouraging to see people playing it for much longer than I've seen before.

To prep for GDC I'm going to get business cards printed up and I've decided to make one side of them Guild of Dungeoneering themed since that is much more likely to be recognised than Gambrinous:

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »

Mini Update: v0.6.12 Feb 25th

Changes since the last version
- treasure spritesheets now have bigger versions for the equippable items. Previously they were the small size to fit on the hero spritesheet when he equips them. Now they look far nicer on the board or on a card

Play this version: Browser (Flash)

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »

Update: v0.6.13 Feb 26th

Changes since the last version
- added a game over screen once you die
- added some more chatter from the boss, EMBRO

Play this version: Browser (Flash)

And if anyone wants to try the installable version via AIR for PC or Mac:
dungeoneering.air

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:34:53 PM by gambrinous » Logged

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »

Just been recording some gameplay with commentary. Here's about 15 mins of the current alpha with me explaining a few things:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:06:45 PM by gambrinous » Logged

Gustang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »

Thanks for the chance to try out your creation.   It’s a neat concept and I enjoyed the game for about an hour in its current form.    In addition to the game itself, I decided to try it because of the sketchy art style, the use of cards, the subject matter (fantasy!) and (most importantly) the fact that this would play out differently each time.

I didn’t run into any game-breakers.   I’d watched your gameplay video first, so had the basics before I started.   The first 4-5 games were spent getting a handle on what the adventurer would do.   I then ran into a good deck where the dungeon became massive and I could plant loot everywhere.   That’s where it became addictive and I wondered if I’d ever run out of moves.   I didn’t know if I had a discard limit, but (mostly) played as if I could discard only one per turn and I could soon see that if I wasn’t careful, I’d quickly run out of ways to play dungeon cards  (like dominoes). Unfortunately, I ran out of time and didn’t finish that one.

While at first cute, the baby babble got annoying (not enough to stop playing!).   I did pay attention to the text bubbles most of time though.   I also didn’t like having to wait for the boss of the dungeon (again, cool at first) to complete his puddle rant before I could start play again.   

Some ideas: 

Not sure if it’s in there, but I think a limit for discards definitely forced some hasty decisions.  Perhaps you could even make them impossible without sufficient “hope” or “dread”.   

Eventually allow the player to modify their deck from a pool of cards.  Players must maintain a minimum deck size, but perhaps allow for larger decks with limits to multiples of cards and card types.   (making it collectible and thus turn up the addiction factor).

Include dungeon tiles that contain a random element of some kind, like a possible trap (you must play a monster card or teleport somewhere else).

Include the ability to zoom out to see the entire play surface, or include a minimap for possible tile placement.

Include pre-established tiles that you must “link” up to.   For instance, place a stairway to level two (and a different, more difficult deck!), a card merchant, a super-duper treasure vault or a level boss.   

I didn’t notice if they were already there, but cards with “healing” elements (potions, a healer, etc.) would be useful.   Maybe add cards that change the movement ability.

Well, all for now.   Looking forward to seeing how this grows. 
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »

Hi Gustang, thanks so much for taking the time to write all that feedback!

On the card 'deck' - at the moment it just generates new cards at random when it deals them to you, but at an absolute minimum i'll be making this generate a real 'deck' at the start of the game with certain proportions of each card in it instead. As you suggest some way of modifying the deck slightly could be fun, and I will be investigating that. I'm already thinking of making the Guild side of things affect this: for example say you expand your guild to have a Shrine to the Goddess of Luck, which adds a single 'lucky break' card to your SEEK deck with some beneficial effect on it..

Really, really agree with all your other points - this is like a handy todo list of good ideas, thanks!  Beer!

Gustang
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »

You’re welcome and I appreciate the response.   Well, I suggested the deck modification as a means to make trips to the dungeon(s) more meaningful.   Record point total is a fine goal; however, were you to add cards as a form of loot (special monster drops, bosses, reward tiles, etc.) or something attainable by going into the dungeon, then we’d be playing the game to change the way we play the game.  I dunno, it sounded fun to me.   I thought that “stacking the deck” would add another layer of strategy too.    I also understand how incredibly complicated that could be, so maybe it’s an idea for a later iteration of the game.

Sure, if modifying the guild through the process of adventuring has a bearing on the contents of the deck, then that also makes the trips more meaningful.    Yes, cards that allow you to search or stack the deck on the fly are fun too.

I like the idea of enhancing/leveling a successful “hero”, but ultimately, I thought they were to be expendable (for the advance of the guild!).   So, maybe a means to find other “heroes” (via cards, tiles, combat) in the dungeon(s) would make sense.  

Again, very interested to see where you take this.    
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:42:06 AM by Gustang » Logged
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2014, 02:42:16 AM »

Well, I suggested the deck modification as a means to make trips to the dungeon(s) more meaningful.   Record point total is a fine goal; however, were you to add cards as a form of loot (special monster drops, bosses, reward tiles, etc.) or something attainable by going into the dungeon, then we’d be playing the game to change the way we play the game.  

Again, thanks for the ideas. I really like your point about playing the game to change the way we play the game. I had been thinking of quest runs giving you 'glory' for your Guild (even if your dungeoneer dies in the dungeon), and you would use the glory to get upgrades for the guild. The kind of upgrades I was thinking about (I haven't delved into this that much yet) would certainly include things that add special cards to your deck for future dungeon runs. I like your idea of the rewards being actual cards though.. I'll have a think about that. It's nice and direct.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »

So I have some fairly exciting news - I have given my notice to my day job and will be dedicating myself to Guild of Dungeoneering full time for the foreseeable future!  Gentleman

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2014, 07:16:54 AM »

Over at GDC right now, enjoying meeting other game creators. My number one question is 'how long did it take you to finish' Smiley

In Dungeoneering news Fred has been putting together a trailer, including doing some cool voiceover for it.. looking forward to sharing it when it's finished!

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »

Phew, so back from GDC now, had a blast and am feeling very good about Guild of Dungeoneering's next few months. In about 3 weeks I'll be fulltime on the game, which should seriously change the pace of development.. exciting!

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »

This is looking pretty cool, good luck with going full time on it. I'm currently taking a career break and working on my game, the amount I get done working full time is immense compared to doing it part time.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2014, 02:29:16 AM »

Cool - any tips for me? I've worked from home before (for a year for a startup) so I'm not worried about being able to handle that, but this will be the first time I'm 100% my own boss.

Someone wrote up a pretty comprehensive wiki page on the game, so if anyone's looking for instructions this has you covered:
http://www.giantbomb.com/guild-of-dungeoneering/3030-45688/

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2014, 02:45:43 AM »

I think If you've worked from home before you'll understand the pitfalls and dangers.. I still have a pretty well paid job to go back to come may so I'm also not worried about financial problems etc I might be If I went full time indie and was relying on making money from my game or a kick starter before my savings ran out..

I'll only put my biggest tips down though in case others who are thinking, "hey I can easily work from home" are reading and want to know.

1. Routine - Get into a routine!! and stick to it. I constantly drift between good routine and terrible routine... last night for example I worked until 3AM!!! but I forced myself to get up at 8AM because I know I could easily become nocturnal Tongue

2. Exercise - Do some exercise daily, even just a couple of 10 minute walks to break up the day. Sedentary lifestyle while easier is terrible for you in general and your work will suffer..

3. Get Dressed as if your leaving the house - It may seem awesome working at home, you can sit in your underpants and a T-shirt and it'll be awesome, but its a bad habit treat your development as a Job, get up, shower, eat breakfast, get dressed etc then your work day starts It'll make you feel like what your doing is more like a Job.

4. Schedule - make lists and targets and deadlines, without anyone pushing you, you need something to aim for. If you fail to hit a target do a postmortem on why and make a new target. Get used to failing, learning your mistakes and adjusting till you don't miss any deadlines. Your estimates will become more attuned to your work rate and you can then set stretch goals to boost work rate.

So yeah they're my bigger tips Smiley

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2014, 02:59:06 AM »

If I could add my 2c on top Spoonies's (which I 100% agree with).

5. Peer Reviews - This is especially important if you work alone. Show whatever you've been working on for the last few days and ask them for a review/feedback on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. Without a superior supervising your daily job and checking if you're on track, etc. it's incredibly easy to fall into the tunnel-vision trap and all sorts of bad things for your project. Posting on forums doesn't really count, as you need the opinion of somebody you can trust with every project's inner detail, and who is not going to refrain from criticizing stuff when that's what you need most in order to improve.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2014, 04:20:12 AM »

Great tips guys, thanks. Agree with your #3 knifeySpoonie - that was something I stuck to in my previous stint of working from home and it definitely helped.

I'd add my own tip

1a. Remember to stop working! Don't be tempted to work ALL THE TIME. Pick a sensible stop time (like 6pm) and most days stop working at that time.

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2014, 04:21:21 AM »

Yep that's a good one too, Peer review is always important..

Another important one is take days off occasionally and Socialize..., It keeps you sane and breaks up the work, It's easy to get into an ongoing routine of work work work, and It's dangerous not having other experiences and things to focus on to clear your head.

Ha Gambrinous I was typing your exact tip as you posted and it told me to review my post Tongue

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2014, 09:49:46 AM »

So the guys running Insomnia Gaming Festival in the UK next month have been kind enough to offer me a free 'Indie Zone' space to demo Guild of Dungeoneering!

http://insomniagamingfestival.com/indie-zone/

Anyone going along?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic