Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:26:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Guild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]  (Read 88232 times)
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »

Update: v0.6.14 Mar 30th

Changes since the last version
- improved the battle screen to look a little nicer (TODO on this is to use bigger sprites for the hero & monster, plus to have them swoop in from their position behind the banner on the board)

Play this version: Browser (Flash)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:28:24 AM by gambrinous » Logged

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2014, 07:22:49 AM »

Getting some stickers printed to give out to peeps at Insomnia in a couple of weeks  Wink

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2014, 06:54:06 AM »

Writing up my Greenlight page - going to be going live with it next week (to coincide with the release of the trailer!)

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2014, 08:45:09 AM »

Ok any thoughts on which of these to use for the greenlight square image? This is what will be used on the listing pages like this one:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/browse/?browsefilter=mostrecent&appid=765&browsesort=mostrecent

Plain or with game tiles in the background? Or I could go further again and have the coloured tokens actually on the board in the background...

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2014, 11:49:13 AM »

And one with the coloured tokens:

Obviously the logo-only one is clean and readable, but the other ones do hint at the kind of game it is at a glance, which is neat..

Tangrin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2014, 12:35:14 PM »

And one with the coloured tokens:

Obviously the logo-only one is clean and readable, but the other ones do hint at the kind of game it is at a glance, which is neat..

The light background is a good idea. Personally I would make the banner gold/yellow. Also, animating your image helps a lot to draw attention to it. Should be pretty easy in your case, just have an animation of how the game playes in the background?

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2014, 01:32:53 AM »

I really dislike animations on the greenlight browse page - I find them seriously annoying, so I'm taking a stand against animating my own one Tongue

Tangrin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2014, 02:51:42 AM »

I really dislike animations on the greenlight browse page - I find them seriously annoying, so I'm taking a stand against animating my own one Tongue

Interesting! I think it is really cool what people do with the animated logos. Spices things up a bit Wink.

Good luck on greenlight Smiley! First week is vital, so I hope you do well. The game is really fun, played it longer this morning than I probably should have Wink.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »

I've decided to go for option #3, this one:

I felt it showed a little of the game (the hand drawn dungeon tiles) without being TOO busy.

So the greenlight page is now ready & the trailer uploaded to youtube ready to have the switch hit! Just need to ready up my press list (sadly bare so far), prepare my email to press folk, and write up a simple press release for gamespress. Will probably be going live tomorrow or wednesday with everything :D

If anyone here has a website, podcast, or youtube channel and would like to write about the game/trailer/greenlight (or have me on to chat about it), just drop me a mail: [email protected]

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2014, 06:25:29 AM »

Guild of Dungeoneering is now on Greenlight

There is also this excellent trailer:

If anyone wants to share either of these, that would be massively appreciated!!

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2014, 03:13:37 AM »

Got my stickers to give away at Insomnia next week! They look ace

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2014, 05:43:22 AM »

First day working on this as my new full time job!  Coffee

beeglebug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:18 AM »

First day working on this as my new full time job!  Coffee
Congratulations! Live the dream! Beer!Toast Right

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »

Thanks beeglebug!

A little mention on Boing Boing today drove enough traffic to put me over the 100 mark for pre-orders. \o/

Smhanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2014, 11:14:38 AM »

Spent a bit of time playing it today,I love the idea for this game and enjoyed playing it for a while but found it very easy to get my little dungeoneer stuck. He walked down a corridor that I decided I no longer wanted to add to and  he just started walking in a circle despite having enemies laid out in front of him and treasure ahead along the path. Is there a trick to this or something I missed? Other than that it is a great game and I can't wait to see what else you can do!
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »

Thanks for trying it Smhanner - no trick, he just needs some actual AI written for him. Right now he only looks one room away from him; in the next few weeks I'll look at having him actually examine the entire dungeon and pick where he wants to aim for each turn, hopefully solving this kind of annoyance

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »

Oh and I did and interview explaining some of my inspirations & goals for the game here:
http://www.laserlemming.com/2014/04/15/state-of-the-game-special-guild-of-dungeoneering/

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »

Update: v0.6.16 Apr 16th

Changes since the last version
- EMBRO the Fire Lord eventually gets angry enough with you that he invades his own dungeon
- he will then chase around after you, saying some funny stuff
- until he catches you and forces a final battle!
- idle chat happens less often; no sound effect for idle chat
- fix for 1-frame appearance of monster/treasure sprites at top left when placing them
- fixed some bugs due to boss on board (turns skipping, wrong icon shown in final battle)

Play this version: Browser (Flash)

Todo (hopefully before showing this at Insomnia Gaming Festival on Friday)
- Win Screen if you beat EMBRO
- Instructions screen when you start
- Make sure I can build the AIR version on the laptop I'm bringing with me for emergency fixage Tongue

Would love feedback on this if you can find anything odd or breaking!

bigalphillips
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2014, 06:17:00 AM »

Hi gambrinous,

I tried out Guild of Dungeoneering -- pretty neat. I really like the hand-drawn, table-toppy style.  Super cute.  I know it's still alpha and many things will change/be added, but here's some thoughts so far:

* It would be great to see the stats of the monsters/items you place.  I know the hope/dread cost is a relative indicator of how good an item is, but there are variations within that.  You can't cancel out of a fight so a poorly chosen enemy can be devastating, and it would be good to know what I'm going up against before going in.

* I end up expanding the map far quicker than I can explore it.  With three cards played per one square moved, I feel like I often have more cards than I know what to do with and end up just playing them on the outside borders of the map.  I'm sure this will somewhat improve with better pathfinding AI so that he doesn't just end up blundering around in a corner for ten turns.  (I wonder how it would feel if you *had* to play exactly two of five cards, and the other three were discarded.  I could imagine all kinds of situations: "Damn, which two of these three awesome cards should I play?", or "Damn, which is the least of all evils when I get a hand of high level monsters?"  Currently, it's a bit more of a "Meh, I guess play this ducky and discard a couple room tiles".  )

* The text/sound starts to wear thin after playing it a bunch.  It's cute at first but after seeing Embro make the same joke for the fifth time I wish I could press space or something to advance.  (Or maybe just reduce the pause between UI animations? It feels a little slow paced.) (Or let the player start looking at/playing the next round's cards while Embro is taunting us?)

* There doesn't really seem to be any incentive to explore more of the dungeon until the final boss comes.  I did just as well creating a closed loop of four elbow tiles off the starting tile as I did creating a giant maze. (Other than the fun of creating a giant maze!)  Maybe some small one-time bonus for exploring new rooms?  (eg. you could get dread only exploring new tiles... or maybe certain of the rooms would give a 1 HP or 1 Hope or 3-turn buff the first time you enter them?  Something minor to encourage the explorer to not just swap back and forth.)  The art is great so it would be good to see the art actually matter (eg. the tile with the big pit in the center gives +1 dread when entering.)

Hope that didn't come off too negative - it's fun as is and I see lots of potential for more.  Best of luck!

(I really like the idea of an FTL-like metagame.)
Smhanner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »

I've been playing it more and more, I must admit I am mildly addicted to the game although mostly because of how frustrating it is to actually complete. I think a few simple adjustments could make the game vastly more enjoyable. Rather than having him search out the entire dungeon and pick a route (which could make the game very sluggish)you could have him check 2-3 rooms away at max and move towards/ away from specific enemies based on his armor/strength levels. And the other issue I am running into quite often is the fire demon will appear on my screen but I haven't drawn any enemies that were weak enough to defeat to gain hope, or any hope cards that gave me equipment so I end up going against the fire demon with a club and leather helmet or worse. To fix that I think it could be relatively simple to modify your random card generator to actually pick up on what cards have been drawn/used/discarded in the previous turns or the strength of the character to decide which enemies/ equipment to send. (i.e. if I have a 1 strength and 2 armor I dont get a hand with 3 cyclops and a bandido). Again I have to say I thoroughly enjoy this game and would love to see it succeed.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic