Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:51:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesDevlog Forum
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Devlog Forum  (Read 5404 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:49:33 PM »

I was browsing the forum at work earlier this week, and made a mental note of a game to check out when I got some time free at home.
Now I have some time free, I'm having trouble finding the game! There's so many entries in there, I think 8 pages of topics covers the last week alone!

Could we have some categorization into subforums? Maybe not exhaustive, but big genres like platformer or RPG and then OTHER or something, just to make it a little more manageable. There's so much stuff in there!

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 12:13:21 AM »

i personally like that idea; devlogs is so chock-full of stuff that if you don't update every 6ish hours, you'll get totally buried

of course the main issue is that it'll take forever to move all the current devlogs into the appropriate category but maybe there's a clever workaround i don't know about
Ant
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 12:18:38 AM »

just wish somebody would make a devlog version of the image crawler. would solve all woes
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 02:59:39 AM »

Subgenres on an Indie forum might cause confusion since multi-genre games are relatively common. It might also push developers to angle their games for the more popular genre boards, since, for example, a board for Interactive Fiction / Visual Novels would be far less popular than the RPG and Platformer boards.

If threads could simultaneously exist on multiple boards that might work out differently (or just make the problem worse since you'll now deal with even more threads, most of them just copies).

I typically just bookmark threads that I like so I know to come back to them later.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 04:12:24 AM »

just make it PLATFORMER and EVERYTHING ELSE

there'll still be more topics in the first category

of course the main issue is that it'll take forever to move all the current devlogs into the appropriate category but maybe there's a clever workaround i don't know about
you could make ppl to move their own threads, or just take care of the new ones and leave the old ones as they are

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 04:44:17 AM »

Maybe just add the thread to your notify list, or bookmark it ..
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »

I support this "categorization" message.

Yeah.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »

I agree that the devlogs subforum is a bit hard to follow because of all the glorious activity going on there, but what categories would there be in such a split? Would it split them by genre as SirNiko suggests? What about games which don't really fit in a given genre?

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »

Yeah, it honestly doesn't seem like you'd ever be able to cover everything, and sounds too constricting.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 09:45:03 AM »

I agree that the devlogs subforum is a bit hard to follow because of all the glorious activity going on there, but what categories would there be in such a split? Would it split them by genre as SirNiko suggests? What about games which don't really fit in a given genre?
hehehehhehe i see what you did there heheheh  Durr...? Durr...?

yeah........  Embarrassed

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »

Yeah, please don't do this. I'd hate to have to check multiple devlog subforums. And I'm sure that scattering the various devlogs and burying them even deeper will do more harm than good.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »

Well, I suggested a non-exhaustive categorization. Not a category for everything, but a couple categories just to make the whole thing more readable and findable. Platformer is probably the biggest category on TIGS, so that's an easy suggestion...

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »

I would suggest some sort to set tags to devlogs and filter accordingly. Somehow.

ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »

a sort function might be nice!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »

I've seen other forums that allow custom tags (user and topic creator) to be applied to threads to help you search them and that could be useful.
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

just wish somebody would make a devlog version of the image crawler. would solve all woes

This is a good idea. When I get some free time I think I'll take a stab at it, if someone else hasn't done it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic