Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:00:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLooking for C#/JavaScript programmer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for C#/JavaScript programmer  (Read 994 times)
Aveno
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »

Hello, everyone! Gentleman
My name’s Victor and as stated above I'm looking for a programmer to collaborate with. Your role would be to do general programming in C# or JavaScript, as well as some simple server-side, matchmaking-based networking - preferably using tools like Photon to ease everything up. My skills aren't focused on a single aspect of game development. I can do 3d and 2d graphics as well as the game design. I can also do some programming in C#/C++. I can't be called a professional developer for sure, since I never worked in the game industry itself, but I've been highly interested in game-dev for years and did it as a hobby. I recently started working on my 3rd project. None of the previous two has ever seen the daylight. I just happened to gather wrong people (who turned out not being interested in gamedev that much and eventually getting bored with working on it) and all in all I was the only one truly engaged. So after two unfinished projects I started something smaller alone. First thing worth mentioning is that it’s my best design idea so far and more importantly having just one collaborator with me would be enough to bring it to live, as it isn't anything complex. Another thing is I've already got a small working prototype of the core mechanics. The environment I’m working in is Unity engine and I’m using C# for programming (Unity also accepts JavaScript if you prefer it).

These are the two previous projects I worked on:
The first one was (at least supposed to be) a sci-fi multiplayer (matchmaking-style) space shooter. Something like a combination of Third Person Shooter, Real Time Strategy and a Racing Game. Huge part of the design process has been done there. I also did some coding. The only thing that was not created by me was some graphic elements (there are also some placeholders on the screenshot below). The project was quite big and only one person (out of 6) in team beside me was eager to work, which was not enough, so the project died.
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2361/w04k.png

The second project was supposed to be a rogue-like dungeon crawl with randomly generated dungeons. I started it with just one guy (a programmer), who claimed that he's eager to work, but he eventually gave up before he even wrote a single line of code, declaring that gamedev doesn’t seem to be his kind of thing. So practically this was already my personal project. I had some unique ideas in mind but I didn't expect to be left alone again, so after all I couldn't continue the development process, since there was too much content to make (at least for a one guy). Nothing's impossible, but that was no longer worth effort. Also, nothing was coded here yet, I just managed to do some 3d and 2d graphics before the programmer left.
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5681/ptve.png

Going to my current project, as I told it's clearly the most ambitious one so far, yet simple and easily doable, since there is not much content needed to to be able to release it in some kind of alpha stage (it’s meant to be a free-to-play game anyway). It's a kind of a First Person, 1v1 (PvP) arena. Just like the Roman arenas back in antiquity, when gladiators fought for their lives. However, the players don't play as gladiators, but as mages. It's all about casting spells, and it happens in a very special manner (it's not any kind of MMO'ish skill based system about pressing hotkeys bound to particular spells; it's something more complex and very original, since it's the core mechanics of the game). The design here is much deeper than I briefly described of course, but well - just message me if you’re interested. Here is a little screenshot:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/677/j91x.png
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:29:38 PM by Aveno » Logged
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:24:18 AM »

Can I make a suggestion?

You've had a few complex ideas and people have bailed on each one.

Instead of making an even-more-complex idea, why not start smaller and let your programmer get his/her feet wet?

My suggestion is to come up with something that could be completed during Ludum Dare and work on that with a programmer.  You don't have to actually do it in a weekend, but it should be completable in 48 hours.

This will have the additional bonus of giving you something to put in your portfolio to show people when looking for future teams.
Aveno
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 05:45:20 AM »

Hmm, I've never heard about Ludum Dare before. Sounds like a cool way to make a portfolio. Thanks for recommending it!
Going back to my project, I don't know what made you think it's an "even-more-complex idea". The previous two were (much too) complex indeed, but this one is really simple in terms of complexity. Just adding basic networking (client side for now) with simple server hosting and connecting through IP would make it playable, as I already have a working prototype.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 11:24:18 PM by Aveno » Logged
Aveno
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:12:08 AM »

Still looking!
I should also note that I'm covering any possible costs by myself and if any profit appears, it'll be shared.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic