Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:53:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsTixel - Now Hiring!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Author Topic: Tixel - Now Hiring!  (Read 73470 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »

I'll be the guy ruining the code so that others can fix it up later.

medieval
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »

I'll be the useless guy.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »

My dream feature list? A direct port of Deluxe Paint IV on the Amiga!  Then I'd love you guys even more than I do already....

Seriously though, it would be good to take a look at the ex-industry standard when designing some sprite-soft.  The animation, gradient and morph features were neat, as was colour cycling. But it was the general ease of use and simplicity of interface that made it the pixel king!

thisguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2008, 03:29:47 PM »

I'll be this guy
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »

I'll be giving hugs.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »

I think if anything it might be good to focus Tixel (sounds like something by Mr Fish) on palette-based spriting to begin with, as this is hard enough to get right.  Full 24 bit + alpha makes it into a PS competer, and there's no real way to compete there.  The palette-pool could still be 24 bit, but the one you work with shouldn't be imho.

Also, I'm into Annabelle's suggestion about Z & X for zoom.

Been thinking, and there's a couple of features I really miss from Dpaint:

- The way it was full-screen.  I'd really prefer one written to be strictly full-screen so you could easily hit the buttons on the right (especially as a Mac user...  Don't think it'll happen though, haha.  I'd probably do it in something like BlitzMax.  Keep it simple, snappy and fast.  Windowed mode would still be a one-surface interface.  I find customisation makes things more cluttered generally.

- The onscreen palette.  This was a nice size and easily selectable with a mouse. One quite radical idea here I have comes from sprite package I once wrote, and I added an extra palette by holding space that was full-screen.  The more custom colours you had, the more would appear onscreen, starting with just two colours, then four, eight etc, so the actual hit-boxes for the colours were huge!  Releasing the space bar switched right back to the picture.  This made palette selecting lightning fast and I'm surprised no-one else did it.  I use the same kind of system in my tile editor, just without the hold-releaase so I can tweak tile settings.  I digress..

- The grid was spot on.  It never got in the way.  It was easily turn-off-and-on-able,

- The set of tools.  I loved the way clicking on on the top-left did un-filled, and bottom-right did filled. All useful and clear (except maybe the spraycan and 'unjoined' line haha.)

- I also dig how the selected colour and background colour are laid out, really clear to see which is which, unlike PS.

- The stencils.  You could lock certain colours from the palette.  This was really handy!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »

I think if anything it might be good to focus Tixel (sounds like something by Mr Fish) on palette-based spriting to begin with, as this is hard enough to get right.  Full 24 bit + alpha makes it into a PS competer, and there's no real way to compete there.  The palette-pool could still be 24 bit, but the one you work with shouldn't be imho.

I personally hate using a palette. Having to set a colour on the palette before being able to use it just makes colour experimentation awkward. I far prefer just using the image itself as my palette and picking colours off it.

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »

I would hate fullscreen.  I like to have another window open behind my image program in case I'm referencing something else, or sometimes just watching videos simultaneously.

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2008, 06:30:10 PM »

i dont know if this has been discussed yet, but i'd like to request a tile system where you could create duplications of tiles and edit them all at the same time. the program in this video has such a feature: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/upload/pixelvids/mockup.avi

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »

Now Hiring, eh?  How much does this position pay, and does it require me to actually do any work?

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »

On the subject of fullscreen vs not fullscreen,
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »

I will be the guy rooting for everybody working on this and giving feedbck on any builds that may be shown here.
mememememe
this is me.

Decipher
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2008, 11:17:17 PM »

Gold Cray: Well we can always stick a "snap to fullscreen" button somewhere. It's quite irrelevant at this point to fight over it Smiley. I'd rather like to see us gather a proper base for our superhero mega-power meetings before we even write a single bit of code.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2008, 11:27:59 PM »

I'm a graphic designer, so I could, uh, do graphics. And design user interfaces, and so on. Not sure how much time I'd have to dedicate to the project, but I'll try.

increpare
« Reply #214 on: November 28, 2008, 01:24:18 AM »

On the subject of fullscreen vs not fullscreen,

That's not exactly the same thing
Saker
« Reply #215 on: November 28, 2008, 06:24:01 AM »

eh  Undecided ?? i can do some artwork and interface design if u need my hand on this  Well, hello there!  Evil
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 28, 2008, 09:02:13 AM »

if u need my hand on this  Well, hello there!
Shocked  :D
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 28, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »

Maybe the fullscreen could be a gui addon?
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: November 28, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »

As default it shouldn't be fullscreen, but if FoxBlitzz is willing to implement it, there should be a shinny button to do so.
Simple enough I guess.
FoxBlitzz
Level 0

Watch out! Bad Klik & Play graphics!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »

Or it could be F11, like in most web browsers (BTW: How does full-screen act on OS X?).

In any event, less chatter, more sign-ups, please. We really can save this for after we've formed a group together.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic