Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:11:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDeity Quest - Beta Demo [RPG/Dungeon Crawler]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Deity Quest - Beta Demo [RPG/Dungeon Crawler]  (Read 3070 times)
RedOwl
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

Deity Quest
RPG/Dungeon Crawler

Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & Flash

Downloads:
All builds of the part one beta are available here:

http://fancyfishgames.com/deity_quest/beta/

That page also has instructions, and open source license info.

Description:
Deity Quest is a light-hearted RPG where you play as the ambitious young god Tyrus, who graduated #2 from the Ethereal Academy and is immediately assigned to a world to gather followers and gain power. Your goal is to become the Overgod of the planet, but the #1 student, your sassy rival Ryga, will try to thwart you at every turn. Support your followers with spells and items as they automatically fight enemies in fast-paced 6 vs. 6 battles. Convert enemies to become new followers and fight for you! Explore huge, procedurally generated locations, learn about deity society and the many gods you will compete with for power, and defeat your rivals in your quest to become the most influential god of all.

Trailer:

Feedback: Any feedback would be awesome! But we are also specifically interested in the overall flow of the demo (was the dialogue interesting or did you skip it? Did you know what to do while playing or were you lost? Was the game fun? Did you want to continue playing? etc) as well as balancing issues (did your followers seem overly weak or overly strong compared to enemies? Did your deity spells seem useful, too weak or too powerful? Was the battle at Amber Island too easy or too hard? etc.).

Thanks in advance, we look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Deity Quest on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/deity-quest

Screenshots:
Battle:

Deity Profile (above battle):

Cutscene:

In Location (forest):
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:29:51 AM by RedOwl » Logged
SebastianGioseffi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »

Very interesting. It seemed to me like a nice take on the Pokemon genre, with more tactical combats, and a theme that leaves room enough for lots of cool and crazy things. Plus, yaks! Yay!

I liked the flow of the demo, I never felt lost, I always knew what to do. The dialogues were a good fit, they felt right in the game and I never skipped them (but I almost never skip dialogues so I don't know if my experience of any use). I can't say I played enough to be sure that all the followers and the enemies were balanced but my general impression was that they were. This turned out to be a little disappointing at first, since my dragon seemed to be not much stronger than a goblin (and being a Tolkien fan that is quite outrageous) but I think it makes sense in a pokemonesque context. The battle at Amber Island seemed certainly more challenging than the previous ones but I had been saving the big guns (I had all my followers in top shape, lots of items and spent all my mana as soon as possible) so the combat itself ended pretty rapidly. Throughout the game I didn't use many deity spells, mostly I saved the mana for the conversion spell and to let my followers cast some spells of their own (which turned out to be quite powerful).

On the negative side, It took me a while to figure out how the dungeon maps worked. I first thought that they were a bit crowded but after a while I realized that each monster in the map represented indeed only one monster, not a squad (I was thinking in something like the old Final Fantasy, Lufia, Chrono Trigger, etc). But as soon as I got followers of my own I understood it better so I can't say that was much of a problem. Another thing that stroke as a little odd (perhaps again because I had some other RPGs in mind) was the fact that the enemies did not move. This made me explore the dungeons a bit recklessly since I knew I was safe unless I touched the enemies. This also allowed me to pretty much pickup all the items in the dungeon and get to all the chests without facing any enemies. I figure that this maybe due to the fact that the levels are procedurally generated but I would have happily sacrificed the procedural generation in order to have more finely crafted levels.

So that were my impressions on playing the demo. I hope it helps and best of luck in the IGF! Cheers and yaks!
RedOwl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »

Thanks for the great, detailed feedback!!

I too was a little uncertain about the somewhat weak-seeming dragons, however they do become quite powerful at level 5 when they learn their "breath" attack. They end up fairly balanced, so aren't quite as epic as they look, but like you said, that works pretty well in the game.

The convert spell is certainly the most important, but other spells, such as recharge can be really useful too, if you have arcane followers (like the dragon).

Thanks for your observations about the dungeon maps. Other beta testers have mentioned similar concerns, and we've made a new version that addresses some of those issues (updated download link above) - it'll be harder to plunder now since enemy groups will protect items and chests they are next to. We're also considering making the enemies move as well. So I think we will be able to continue to improve the level designs so the procedural generation and gameplay sync well.

Thanks again! And glad you enjoyed the yaks! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic