Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:53:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThinking up game ideas (and making them a reality)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Thinking up game ideas (and making them a reality)  (Read 3487 times)
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:46:45 PM »

Here's a fun subject that's probably going to plague me for the rest of my game development life!

Coming up with a somewhat original game idea and actually turning it into something fun and playable is probably one of the most difficult things for me when it comes to creating games.

Thinking up the game mechanics is probably one of my most harrowing experiences Wink

I'm sure I'm not alone on this, but I'd love to hear how you guys go about coming up with ideas and then turn them into something playable. Smiley

Renton
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »

Well, I haven't done any games before. But I'm (sorta) making one right now, and I can say that it's Hell. Hella fun, that is.
It first started as "I gotta make a game."
I was gonna make it a simple one. Just a simple platform shooter. And then I posted the idea here. It grew to be a big project. I like sharing ideas, and hearing what others would like to see in the game. While I'm still not sure about most of the game mechanics, I'm sure TIGers will help me on the subject. Smiley

BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »

I definitely think getting other peoples input can be a huge help when thinking up new ideas or twists on current ideas. That's something I really must try to do in the future. I just have this weird thing about putting my in-progress games or ideas under public scrutiny, but I don't think I'm going to improve at this stuff unless I do!

Renton
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »

The bad thing about public scrutiny is that you might have to give away some surprises for feedback.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 02:13:42 PM »

The bad thing about public scrutiny is that you might have to give away some surprises for feedback.

I always choose 1-3 guys to whom I tell about the game, and who betatest the game. No spoiled surprises.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:38:20 PM »

I always choose 1-3 guys to whom I tell about the game, and who betatest the game. No spoiled surprises.
Or better yet, contact each one in private and give everyone a different beta with only certain gameplay/story spoilage.

Bonus: Don't tell them you're doing this.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 11:08:33 PM »

Or better yet, contact each one in private and give everyone a different beta with only certain gameplay/story spoilage.

Bonus: Don't tell them you're doing this.

Or maybe give them all different games?

Renton
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:17:42 PM »

Wouldn't exactly be public scrutiny, now would it?
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 02:50:09 PM »

I usually enjoy planning and creating game ideas. It let's your imagination run quite much freely. I also enjoy coding and pixeling once I've got over the first parts and the engine is good. Mostly my games get abandoned when I've done the engine, some graphics and I should start to work on something big, like a new level or a huge huge boss. I should somehow get instantly to the point when the game is just too far to be abandoned :D

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 11:26:49 PM »

I also have trouble completing projects. Hopefully soon I'll be able to put that in the past tense!

In terms of thinking up concepts, one thing that I find helps me is keeping a journal of game ideas. Some of the things in the journal are miniature design documents. Other entries are just an isolated idea.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 01:39:29 AM »

I usually enjoy planning and creating game ideas. It let's your imagination run quite much freely. I also enjoy coding and pixeling once I've got over the first parts and the engine is good. Mostly my games get abandoned when I've done the engine, some graphics and I should start to work on something big, like a new level or a huge huge boss. I should somehow get instantly to the point when the game is just too far to be abandoned :D
yes, that, exactly that, everything you just said.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic