Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:29:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSocial media for dummies
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Social media for dummies  (Read 6218 times)
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:38:31 AM »

As Paul Eres suggested I'm creating a new thread for discussing social marketing strategies/tips/advice and what else.

Quote from: jack_norton
5) I think that social networks/media are WAY much more important for a game than getting reviewed on some sites

Anybody has any thoughts on promoting ur social profiles while having around 200 or even less likes/followers on Facebook and Twitter?

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:47:04 AM »

#FF and #screenshotsaturday seem to be effective in twitter land. I really have no clue about facebook land though.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »

first, read this article by teegee: http://moacube.com/blog/how-we-handle-our-social-networks/

but as for gaining likes on facebook, even though he talks about how it's somewhat useless because of facebook's algorithms mean that the things you post there are only actually seen by a tiny minority of the people who 'liked' your facebook page, i would suggest a few things

- link to your game's facebook page everywhere your game is. your site, your greenlight page, your kickstarter, even from within the game itself if possible

- invite your friends to like your game's page, and remind them of it regularly. if you have more facebook friends than you have people who like your game's page, like i do, something's wrong

- keep it updated, and ask people questions there, encourage interaction. for example, dave gilbert recently posted something like this: want to write a line of dialogue for my next game? leave a comment here and if it's good enough i'll include that line in my next game. it got like 50-100 comments after only a few hours. people like being helpful

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:50:25 AM »

#FF and #screenshotsaturday seem to be effective in twitter land. I really have no clue about facebook land though.
didn't knew about #FF but I'm, constantly participating in #screenshotsaturday, this week it even actually worked, even if only a little

@Paul: hmm, those are all pretty accurate points, but do you think you should ask questions if you have a small fanbase? Won't it make you look pathetic if no one or only a very few ppl respond?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »

if you're worried about looking pathetic for asking friends to help you with something as simple as clicking 'like' on the way you spend your life then you probably won't succeed as an indie; plus if someone doesn't have any interest in your games then chances are they aren't really your friend anyway (unless they just don't play games at all or something)

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »

I'm talking about the third 'tip', not the second,

for fuck's sake start reading what I write, instead of trying to make me look dumb

do you think you should ask questions (not: friends to like your page) if you have a small fanbase?

Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:56:10 AM »

I know one thing, when I see game developers only tweet about their devlogs or projects it makes it hard to connect with you on a personal level. And i see this a lot on twitter.

Social networks are all about personal level because they help promote your game and gets people to play it.

Anybody has any thoughts on promoting ur social profiles while having around 200 or even less likes/followers on Facebook and Twitter?

Your going to have to connect and build relationships on social networks for people to go to your website and play your game. Its the same way with music over here

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »

Can't remember when I tweeted about my game last time other than on Screenshot Saturday :p

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »

As Paul Eres suggested I'm creating a new thread for discussing social marketing strategies/tips/advice and what else.

Quote from: jack_norton
5) I think that social networks/media are WAY much more important for a game than getting reviewed on some sites

From seeing the data and working on kickstarters this sentiment is just incorrect for smaller unknown devs. The data for kickstarters show about 50-60% of the income from direct press, and about 10-20% from FB/twitter...From PRESS ACCOUNTS

I'm not trying to say that users and twitter followers aren't important at all, but it's not so much about the number of followers but their individual contribution value. a twitter with 50 press friends and youtube lets players beats a twitter with 3,000 random gamer friends hands down.

If you want more fans and you believe you have a good product then your problem is almost 80% numerical exposure alone.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 05:13:08 PM »

What about having 200 random gamer followers haha ^^

Hmm, so what you suggest is not bothering that much with social media, or?

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »

If your time is valued to you I'd suggest you place it into making a really strong trailer/art for screensshot/press kit over caring too much about facebook twitter.

It's return compared to press is really scraping it if you don't -already- have a strong following from exposure...which you get from press.

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »

Social media is a time-eater and a big responsibility, you should consider very carefully opening your marketing promotion to a new support if you don't want to create a frustrated mob around your project.

The rule of thumb would be monthly updates on a devlog/greenlight, weekly updates on a facebook page and daily updates on forums or twitter (twitter is quite forgiving on content though, you can post a link you liked or your lunch). If you can't commit the quality or quantity of content for regular updates, don't strain yourself.

As others mentioned earlier, doing a good presskit and trailer may be good enough at the moment to get passive marketing going on.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 06:41:40 PM »

I did a small experiment a week ago when I DMed a bunch of my Twitter friends to ask them to help spread the word about the game.  I have a bunch of devs as followers including ones that have 7000, 3000, and 2000 followers respectively.  In total over two days I was able to garner a tweet about the game to a total of 30000 followers.  I had maybe...2 or 3 retweets and no considerable download bump over the course of the next few days.

It could be those devs just didn't have enough pull.  I have another dev friend with about 13k followers who passively declined to tweet about it.  When @IVsoftware (17k followers) tweeted about it it generated 4 retweets 3 favorites, and a bunch of @replies to me, so maybe it really is just a matter of numbers and your won relationship to that dev.  IVsoftware have never been shy about pimping my work so their fans have at least heard about me once or twice, which probably made their tweet much more sticky.

You're all free to draw your own conclusions for this of course. 

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »

You have to have something that'll get retweeted without asking ppl directly to retweet it, otherwise there's just so many ppl that you can directly approach, and nothing more than that

S16VATR
Level 0

卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

everyon who uses social medai is dum
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 07:20:12 PM »

i suspect what pandara-ra says is right for kickstarter, but kickstarter isn't everything. facebook/twitter are more for your hardcore fans who add value to your games in the form of mods, fan works, playtesting, suggestions, and so on. the people who buy all your games will follow you on facebook or twitter. they are largely for *retaining* attention rather than gathering it. they become more important the more games you've released. if it's your first or second game they aren't that important, but if it's your 10th game i suspect that a good portion of a game's sales will come from previous fans of your other 9 games

that being the case, it's good to start retaining those fans early, with your first game. so time spent on facebook / twitter is an investment which may not pay off until your 5th+ game

S16VATR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »

dum get on google hanguot you dum
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »

You have to have something that'll get retweeted without asking ppl directly to retweet it, otherwise there's just so many ppl that you can directly approach, and nothing more than that

Yeah that's true enough.  The most retweeted thing I did since I got on twitter wasa 5 minute photochop of a man's face on an alpaca.  Others have suggested hitting newer networks like Vine to try to get some traction.

ANtY
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 09:47:27 PM »

In a week I got 100 new followers from the article I wrote (How NOT to market your indie game), and that's quite something when you don't even have 300 total.

but I guess that alpaca could go even more viral :p

S16VATR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »

if i told my fans thye were chode inhaling homos i'd probably sell moer games your model is broken
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic