Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:03:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesigngreat levels in game history
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: great levels in game history  (Read 22447 times)
PaleFox
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2008, 02:18:48 PM »

I really liked Ico a lot, it had some beautiful designs, especially *spoilers* [size=.5pt]once Yorda leaves you[/size]*spoilers* but most of it was just  "epic" (not a word I like to use, but it fits here), what with the sheer size of the entire thing and how it all fit together: you could be high up, look down and see a bit the beginning of the game because you've looped around.

In SoTC, I think the [size=.5pt]flying snake (can't remember name)[/size] colossus is my favorite, even just the starting cutscene for the fight is breathtaking. Seriously.

Oh, and I especially liked Hi Fumi in Wipeout 3, with the butterflies. That game had some great tracks, really enjoyable (only racing game I've ever enjoyed, I hate Mario Kart), but that one is so beautiful in places while still being intense. and it upset me when I played the ps2 sequel and the levels were so terrible and bland...
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2008, 03:53:05 PM »

I really liked Ico a lot, it had some beautiful designs, especially *spoilers* once Yorda leaves you*spoilers* but most of it was just  "epic" (not a word I like to use, but it fits here), what with the sheer size of the entire thing and how it all fit together: you could be high up, look down and see a bit the beginning of the game because you've looped around.

In SoTC, I think the flying snake (can't remember name) colossus is my favorite, even just the starting cutscene for the fight is breathtaking. Seriously.

Oh, and I especially liked Hi Fumi in Wipeout 3, with the butterflies. That game had some great tracks, really enjoyable (only racing game I've ever enjoyed, I hate Mario Kart), but that one is so beautiful in places while still being intense. and it upset me when I played the ps2 sequel and the levels were so terrible and bland...
fixed, bro.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2008, 08:27:37 AM »

In SoTC, I think the [size=.5pt]flying snake (can't remember name)[/size] colossus is my favorite, even just the starting cutscene for the fight is breathtaking. Seriously.

Ey thirteenth one, yes. My personal favourites are all of them number 3 (the one with the stone sword that you walk on) and number 5 (the bird).

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »

um, idunno, howbout THE ELITE FOUR!
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Elite_Four
i also liked skytown, elysia, in MP3. that is how you provide atmosphere.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2008, 02:27:40 PM »

I wasn't very impressed with the Elite Four, once you know the type of each you can breeze through them easily, especially since at that level battles become one hit fests. Which is sad because I thought the overall design of Pokemon Red/Blue was brilliant, aside from the oversight of the overpowered psychic Pokemon type. Was just about perfect in Leaf Green/Fire Red, just five years too late.

Generaly I'm not a fan of multi stage boss battles unless each stage compliments that last, or the stages form a delicious many flavored combo.

Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2008, 02:33:43 PM »

Level 3 of Soukyugurentai.

The music really makes it. (It reminds me of final fantasy 7.)
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2008, 03:29:11 PM »

Level 3 of Soukyugurentai.

The music really makes it. (It reminds me of final fantasy 7.)
Oh man, I'm starting to really love Sega Saturn arcadeish shmups
Been playing Radiant Silvergun lately, it blows my mind away, also my eyes
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »

I wasn't very impressed with the Elite Four, once you know the type of each you can breeze through them easily, especially since at that level battles become one hit fests.

Your more or less right, but to find out each type you had to face each trainer, only to find out the next one and then plan for that guy, a long battle in which you formulated your party and strategy trainer by trainer.

Unless you used the strategy guide, cheater! Tongue

It could have been more balanced though. However don't count out the games betwenen the original and remake,they balanced it in those.
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2008, 04:05:38 PM »

I wasn't very impressed with the Elite Four, once you know the type of each you can breeze through them easily, especially since at that level battles become one hit fests.

Your more or less right, but to find out each type you had to face each trainer, only to find out the next one and then plan for that guy, a long battle in which you formulated your party and strategy trainer by trainer.

Trial and error is not good level design. The 'pattern' for the elite four wasn't that usefull because
a) You had to defeat two of the four of them before you had enough to work it out, which would mean three retries to balance the perfect team, as opposed to four (five if you count Gary who doesn't fit with the pattern). It's not that much of deal.
b) By that point if you didn't have a balance team of pokemon that could deal decent damage to at least 80% of the types in the game you must have been doing something seriously wrong. Given the spread of Pokemon you could meet fighting trainers you where actively encouraged to carry a wide variety of elemental types.

I plowed my way through the Elite Four first try with my balanced team setup.

Now the Elite four in pokemon stadium, with the wacky TM/HM setups. THOSE where a challenge. Still wouldn't say 'zomg best level ever' about it though.

It could have been more balanced though. However don't count out the games between the original and remake,they balanced it in those.

I don't count the games in between because they added too much fluff, Red and Blue where steam lined; Every single GBA/DS game I've played since then I usually gave up part of the way through because it felt too complex for me to ever get the most out of my team. With Leaf/Fire they went back to the original setup, but with Dark/Steel that fixed the psychic imba without flooding a bunch of new pokemon and added some of the useful functions like the ability to re-battle trainers.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »

Rooftop chase scene in Beyond Good & Evil:

Mind you, you're playing the entire time.  Bloody fantastic.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2008, 11:32:48 AM »

Traditions of the Trade. The original one, not the remake.

It was so nonlinear, I spent months trying to find different ways to solve the level... I actually found about 9 different ways or so...

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2008, 01:06:14 PM »

Ok Titch, I guess your elite four experience and opinions regarding its design are  different than mine...
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »

Did anyone mention the Half Life 2 ending level with the uber gravity gun?

I mean, no awards for art or mechanics but boy was it fun.

Kianis
Level 0

self-portrait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2008, 09:47:28 AM »

Maridia from Super Metroid... or maybe when you first arrive
at Zebes. Or maybe the whole thing actually Kiss

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »