Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:47:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHelp improving my pixel art skills
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help improving my pixel art skills  (Read 2241 times)
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:39 PM »

Hey guys i really want to improve my sprites and animations in pixel art
and i think here is the best place to start.  Gomez

I know it's not much but
i created a little character just for training and did his idle animation,
what do you guys think ?

I'm already making a walking animation and jumping animation
to post here later so you guys have more to criticize on
and maybe give me some pointers of what i should improve.  Coffee

I was thinking that maybe you could send me a character
and i could try to animate him just for training  Ninja

I think it would be interesting since
i wanna be in a level that i can work with this.
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:23:46 AM »

I've finished his walking animation and one question came to my mind:

Do the quantity of frames matter ?

I mean, when i do an animation i always try to get a smooth result and i don't pay that much attention to how many frames i've done and i don't know if it really matters
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:53:15 AM »

His head bobbing seems a little stiff for some reason, probably because his eyes only move on certian frames.
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »

Frame rate is definitely important. Most animations a specific number of frames and then usually they'll triple the frames for special movies to look better.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »

His head bobbing seems a little stiff for some reason, probably because his eyes only move on certian frames.

I tried fixing it a little bit, the intention was to make his head move around, not only his eyes, i've added 2 more frames to the animation and tried moving his head a little bit more:

Do you think there is an specific part of him that i should change or maybe move around more ?

Frame rate is definitely important. Most animations a specific number of frames and then usually they'll triple the frames for special movies to look better.

Yeah, that's what i thought, i was thinking like: it's better if i maintain the frame ratio for every animation in a game, right ?

I mean, if i make one animation with 10 frames for a character and another character has 8 frames and both animations are played in the same amount of time, it would make people think the game is lagging, i think  Concerned but i'm not sure about all that
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »

I'm not a professional, but for me the running looks a bit unnatural due to the head turning too much to the sides, everything else is good.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »

I'm not a professional, but for me the running looks a bit unnatural due to the head turning too much to the sides, everything else is good.
It looks unnatural because it is.  The animation is fine but the legs are backwards, when your head turns to the right while running your left leg is out not your right. Same with the arms, your right arm is pulled back when your left leg is out, not your right.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »

It looks unnatural because it is.  The animation is fine but the legs are backwards, when your head turns to the right while running your left leg is out not your right. Same with the arms, your right arm is pulled back when your left leg is out, not your right.

What do you mean ? Can you explain it again ? I don't understand  Concerned
I mean, i noticed the head movement isn't natural but what about the legs ?

Edit:

Oh wait, i got it now ! I'm gonna fix it tomorrow, thanks !

Edit 2:

Wait, what ? D: Should the head move to the right when the left leg is to the front ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 08:56:35 PM by illugion » Logged
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »

Yes just switch the legs out they're flipped right now. Head should be to the right when the left leg and left arm are out. The arms are in sync properly with the head right now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic