Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:31:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingNanovoid
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Nanovoid  (Read 34779 times)
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »

"The tentacle of the Bastard"  Screamy
(Working on the special abilities of all the enemy vessels...)

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2009, 10:46:33 AM »

That animation looks pretty sweet.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2009, 12:15:29 PM »

"The tentacle of the Bastard"  Screamy
(Working on the special abilities of all the enemy vessels...)

now i like it more, that golden parts are really better in grey, and the tail is very nice too!

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2009, 12:18:40 PM »

Yeah, with the slow controls, surviving the current "boss"'s homing missiles is almost impossible. They're difficult to dodge and hard to aim at, and once about six are fired, you might as well quit.

But the game looks really cool. Can't wait for a full version!
spinachthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »

I left this on my desktop this week and ended up playing it 7 times.  Just beat the impossible boss w/ a bit of luck.  I like the new sprites.  I'd personally like to see them used to randomized battles so I could play it in short 3 min breaks but I'll stay tuned to see what you do.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »

Hi LazyCow! This is looking better and better. I like the tentacle animation you posted. It might look a little more sinuous if the ship's turning radius were more limited (how well that would fit into your movement scheme is a different matter).

I continue to look forward to this.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »

Hey this is looking nice so far! Keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 02:58:12 PM »

Somehow I missed this game before today. Well, I downloaded it and played it. Just to make something clear, I loooove Star Control, but I dislike mouse control schemes like this. So my initial reaction to this is ambivalence. But after I played it until I beat it (yeah, take that stupid gunship) I realized I could tolerate it. Still, I'd love to see a relative turn option that works with buttons/control sticks, as well as a omnidirectional control scheme using an analog stick.

This has a ton of potential. What it needs is personality. And not just the personality of the ships, but the pilots need to be visible in some way or another, IMHO.

Did I mention I beat the demo?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2009, 11:44:33 PM »

Ahhh... you like tentacles, don't you? Well, hello there!  There will be another gameplay demo with hopefully improved ship controls, once there are some new features. I am glad that finally some have mastered the demo. (I was thinking I made it too easy) The final strategy here should be to collect powerups that boost up your ship. (No, there are no powerups in the demo, yet)

About keyboard or joypad control: Actually I am targeting the iPhone as game platform, so my primary goal is to make the mouse control as solid as possible. But as the game is cross-platform anyway, there could be a PC version with optional keyboard control in a 2nd step.

Speaking of ship's personality and stuff: I think this could only be implemented in a story mode where you see the captains faces of the ships and the story-text. But I think my actual pixel-skills are too poor to create faces. Maybe I will try...

Thanks for the feedback!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »

That "boss" and his missiles are insane.

EDIT:
I finally found the edge of the map, it's a little odd to just bounce off the side, how about a wraparound map?

EDIT AGAIN: nvm I just didn't know that you had to accelerate to get out of the spinning.

ONE LAST EDIT: y'know what? I just need to experiment more with the controls before making posts. Is there a reason why holding shift makes the game go slow-mo?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:59:34 AM by Kegluneq » Logged
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2009, 09:08:01 PM »

I take back my previous statement...

I can beat the demo regularly now (just did it three times in a row). Also, this game is as good as I said it was back there, plus ten. I like it a lot, and am looking forward even more to playing a newer version.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 07:40:47 AM »

Out of curiosity. You're planning on releasing this for iPhone, so what are you using to develop it in now?

Follow me on twitter
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »

@Kegluneq: Map-Wraparound is currently not supported by the game engine, but the map can be set to "really really big". I used the SHIFT key to examine graphic bugs. (I forgot to change both)

@vdgmprgrmr: Does your forum-name have some special meaning? I don't get it.  Roll Eyes

@Cymon: I am using a C compiler and a small (selfmade) library that takes care of the platform independence (by defining an abstraction layer). Actually, it can be compiled for Windows and Linux. (It could also be compiled for Amiga, but my Amiga broke) OS-X version of the library is planned. Obviously...

spinachthief
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 11:47:08 AM »

@vdgmprgrmr: Does your forum-name have some special meaning? I don't get it.  Roll Eyes

I don't think Germans are big on sarcasm so I'll give you a serious answer.  He's a video game programmer but has no time for vowels.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2009, 11:55:17 AM »

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this is a cool game. I love the style, brings me back to the early 90s. Keep it up!

I am actually trying to get around to making something similar to this, but more strategy / RPGish and less action-oriented.

KareemK
Level 0

'sup mang

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »

linux version doesn't work on ubuntu intrepid. it starts a very small window with "Nan" written and quits on esc. nothing else happens.
Lazycow
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »

@nihilocat: I know the screenshot with 3D spaceships from your homepage. Hand Point Right Keep it up, too!

He's a video game programmer but has no time for vowels.
I don't think that sentence would pass any anti-sarcasm tests in Germany.  Grin Anyway, thanks for the hint. I got it now.

linux version doesn't work on ubuntu intrepid. it starts a very small window with "Nan" written and quits on esc. nothing else happens.
Ooops, you are right! You have to rename the file from "nanovoid.linux" to "nanovoid". Otherwise it cannot find its ini-file. Sorry for that!

Time for a new demo...

Dragonmaw
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2009, 02:15:13 PM »

Reminds me a lot of Transcendence, which is a good thing in my book. Intentional?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:58:08 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »

Reminds me a lot of Transcendence, which is a good thing in my book. Intentional?
Bad link. Fixed now.

@Cymon: I am using a C compiler and a small (selfmade) library that takes care of the platform independence (by defining an abstraction layer). Actually, it can be compiled for Windows and Linux. (It could also be compiled for Amiga, but my Amiga broke) OS-X version of the library is planned. Obviously...
Tears of Joy because I want to be like you.

Follow me on twitter
KareemK
Level 0

'sup mang

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2009, 02:57:05 AM »

it works now lazycow, thx  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic