Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:58:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookSleep - 23 [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sleep - 23 [FINISHED]  (Read 7764 times)
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »

Good afternoon all!  Gentleman

This is my entry for the Commonplace Book competition.  This is the first time I've used the TADS3 development environment and I must say that it was quite an interesting and rewarding experience.  It allowed me to try a new game type as well as test our my creative writing chops (chops I haven't used since high school).  I'm probably going to print out the technical manuals so I can have easy reference for future projects.

Anyway!

I based this on the 23rd idea in the Commonplace Book: The man who would not sleep—dares not sleep—takes drugs to keep himself awake. Finally falls asleep—and something happens.

I'd recommend listening to some tracks from the Silent Hill games to add to the mood.  Completing the game will be easy, but try to get all of the points and interact act with the game objects appropriately.

Here's the intro to the game and the download link below.  Thanks and good luck to everyone!

The ringing in your ears begins to fade into the calm wash of silence.

You awaken as if from a terrible sleep. Standing and brushing off your pants, you take in a deep breath. To your dismay, all you are able to take into your lungs is a stale lingering feeling that sticks to your insides like a humid film.

You don't remember how you got here. You strain your memory to no avail. The last thing you do remember was leaving your home to check on the situation outside. Your family was left behind and told to keep the door locked until they could clearly see you from the peephole.

You shake your head. You are dizzy and fatigued. You think to yourself, ''A way back home. That's what I'm looking for.''

Download: http://www.wanderingpandacomics.com/games/sleep-23/sleep-23.zip
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 05:44:08 PM »

Hmmm, every time I try to take the pill (that is, eat the pill), it says I can't, but the game ends. That seems like it might be a bug.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 09:51:07 AM »

Hmmm, every time I try to take the pill (that is, eat the pill), it says I can't, but the game ends. That seems like it might be a bug.

Thank you for that!  I left in some code where I was testing the "finishGameMsg" command in TADS.

It might also be worth mentioning that any action in the game that earns you a point can be repeated, giving you more points. So I ended up with a score of 15 out of 5 by accident.

Thanks!  Fixed!  There were two actions that were allowing this to happen and I forgot the last action in the game also provided a point total for a total of 6.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »

Hm...I'm afraid it got to the point where I just couldn't play it any more...after 3 points (which made me "sub-human"). I mean, it seems like the ending is easy to guess, and it was just kind of...icky. What incentive is there to finish the game other than "that's the way the game goes"? Do I really want to play it out? Will the whole white rooms/paintings/pill thing actually be explained in some way, or is there no explanation? Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to finish it, sorry. Undecided

A technical note: You can pick up the white box, but it's still mentioned in that room description.

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »

Aw geez. Can't figure out what to do, make some sort of a walktrough. =P

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:22 PM »

Hm...I'm afraid it got to the point where I just couldn't play it any more...after 3 points (which made me "sub-human"). I mean, it seems like the ending is easy to guess, and it was just kind of...icky. What incentive is there to finish the game other than "that's the way the game goes"? Do I really want to play it out? Will the whole white rooms/paintings/pill thing actually be explained in some way, or is there no explanation? Anyway, I couldn't bring myself to finish it, sorry. Undecided

A technical note: You can pick up the white box, but it's still mentioned in that room description.

Fair enough!  I'll keep that in mind if and when I work on another IF game.  Something less predictable, yet engaging enough.  I'll look into the Parlor Room "white box" error.  Thanks!
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 08:50:22 AM »

Well written, I thought, and nicely chilling in places. I'd prefer it if there were more options at the end - perhaps things the player could type that the PC would act on in unexpected ways.  Smiley

Needs a bit of beta testing though, as all IF games do.  PM me if you want my play transcript.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 05:19:10 AM »

I like the writing so far. I have five points, but am not sure what to do with the box or the record player at the moment. Tired

Some minor issues: It's odd that the switch and speaker aren't objects in the record room, and that in the bedroom <spoiler>.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic