Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 11:41:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[NDS] Bilou : School Zone Level 1
Poll
Question: How far can you go ?
First pencil - 0 (0%)
First blador - 0 (0%)
lifter inkjets - 0 (0%)
lone eraser - 0 (0%)
goal - 1 (33.3%)
[can't play homebrew NDS] - 2 (66.7%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [NDS] Bilou : School Zone Level 1  (Read 7750 times)
PypeBros
Level 0

Simplest, but not Simpler

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2013, 08:30:37 AM »

My blue-ball character Bilou turns 20 years this month. I released an exclusive level of the game we dreamt when we were teenagers. Any thoughts on the gameplay ?

download the anniversary demo (NDS homebrew) here
download the latest version here

The game is an exploration platformer. You have unlimited lives so far (since there's only one level) and the number of letters you gather will unlock different pictures when you reach the end of the level.

pendat -- inkjet -- dumblador --

Playing on an emulator
You're suggested to use desmume and follow these instructions to set the "GBA slot image" as being the .nds file itself. Other emulators (notably iDeaS, patch as R4TF) will require manual DLDI patching, which you'd most likely prefer to avoid. You'll get a better experience with a SNES-like gamepad.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 07:57:09 AM by PypeBros » Logged

PypeBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »

I now have an introductory level here, and 4 flavours of bounce-on-land. Which one do you feel work best ?

*[Big] I could keep it as is and call it a (gameplay) feature
   *[No] I could dismiss bounce altogether, or make it happen only as an "idle" animation (when player is not pushing Bilou forward)
   *[Low] I could dampen the bounce: make it so that you bounce with a vertical impulse of 200 rather than 400 (800 being the impulse for a full jump
   *[Jump] I could compensate the lack of control during a bounce by granting the player to reuse the "lost 50%" later (e.g. mid-air) in a sort of "double jump".

(cast your vote on the blog)

Zizka
Level 5

Super Toaster X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 11:35:23 AM »

Well, you have to give in order to receive so I tried out your game and here are my comments about it :
- I liked the music, reminiscent of old snes games. Awesome.
- If you throw a bad guy in water, it just stays there. Is it normal? Shouldn’t drown or something? Here’s a screenshot:
- The dizzy animation for the little guys is a bit too fast, looks psychotic.
- Is there a life marker anywhere? I had no idea how much health I had left.
- Running happens if you hold ‘’B’’ right? I think I also managed to run by double-tapping in one direction.
- Sometimes I seem to run randomly instead of walking. Not sure why.
- When I jump in the pencils I actually go right through them for some reason.
- Enemies are cool and so is the animation for the little blue guy.
- I couldn’t get past the second hole with pencils in the second area.

It’s not much but I hope it helps somewhat. Smiley It was fun, reminded me of Mario. The environment is pretty sweet too, very creative.

PypeBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:21:18 AM »

Thank you for your feedback, Zizka. Related to the RUN mechanics,
- Running happens if you hold ‘’B’’ right? I think I also managed to run by double-tapping in one direction.
- Sometimes I seem to run randomly instead of walking. Not sure why.
You should start running by double-tapping or by tapping down while walking. I guess the "random run" is what remains from the emergent "run-on-turn-back" and "run-on-land" that haven't been eliminated.

You may also run by holding R in SchJumpBounce (and SchNoBounce, iirc). It seems like tapping B while running indeed triggers a run as well, which I'd rather avoid, B being the button for hands... I'll have some clean up to do  Roll Eyes

- When I jump in the pencils I actually go right through them for some reason.
- I couldn’t get past the second hole with pencils in the second area.
Am I correctly assuming you're talking about the following places ?
(a) -- (b)

If so, place (a) is a place to learn the RUN mechanic, as suggested by the R bonus letters. When you run from left-to-right here, you have just the required speed to land on the pink bumper which throws you right to the book on the right. Apparently the pencil just on the left of the bumper doesn't hurt. I'll investigate that. Most likely a map bug.

The place (b) is actually a dead end (a place for an upcoming dare-to-grab-1-UP). The map of that level isn't linear and involves exploration and puzzles to progress. Do you feel like a "you are lost / turn back" sign would have been required ?

Thanks for the other comments too, of course. They should be straightforward to fix.

PypeBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »

Hello, there.

I converted this small experiment into a two-level rush game. You can find it here.

PypeBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

Doh. I'm so ashamed i left this without proper updates. The game is ready for testing again (direct link)
new abilities,
new gameplay,
new challenges.

Are you ready for this ? Did you know there are nintendo DS emulator even on Androïd ?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 01:34:31 PM by PypeBros » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic