Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:10:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsOffering Paid WorkLooking to Commission (Paid Upfront) a Visual Novel Programme
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking to Commission (Paid Upfront) a Visual Novel Programme  (Read 2745 times)
SnowTrain
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »

Hello and thanks for visiting this thread! Smiley

Who We Are
We are a small group of friends who want to make a VN as a hobby. We have the art, the music and the story all in early stages of production but we have no idea and no time (very unfortunate) to program! Sad

What is the VN About?

I'm going to give a very very brief description here. It revolves around the themes of "journey" & "belief". It is Anime styled (with slight realism) with a cyberpunk theme and color palette. Our vision is for it to have a diverse cast of main and antagonist characters which will have character growth throughout the story. There will be dating elements however we intend to adhere to ESRB's M(17+) rating. Although it is a hobby for us - we do intend for the VN to "look good". This means, in my opinion, the VN will have quality art (at least the best that we can achieve) and quality music! More details can be discussed in private.

Who We Are Looking For
As this is a hobby for us - expect very flexible deadlines! We do have a tentative "release-date" in mind - perhaps sometime late 2014 or early 2015? The idea, although we are open to any advice since this is the first time we're embarking on this kind of a project, is for us to send our programmer images, music and storyboards in a gradual basis. The programmer then can implement our vision and create segments of the VN over a period of time.

As we don't know if this project is going commercial or not - its only fair and we really prefer to pay upfront/flat-fee to our programmer for his or her work. We are all chipping in and paying for his out of our own pockets and I believe we do have a slightly "sizeable" budget (Indie sizeable!) for this commission. But we're not really familiar with the rates or how it should be organized?

If you are confident in helping us on this project and have experience in creating beautiful looking VNs then please contact me!

We are willing to pay for this and hope we can arrange a satisfactory price package or hourly/rate for our programmer.

Or if anyone has any suggestions for us in terms of our initial thoughts on how this process of communication (storyboards etc) will work then please let us know as well.
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »

You should really specify what platform(s) you are targeting as that may or may not significantly alter what kind of language/framework can be used. You should probably also mention if the extra features you need are not already available in ready-made VN engines, which might significantly simplify the task if you are willing to use one.

ink.inc
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »

http://www.renpy.org/

just in case you guys haven't found this, it's really, really easy to pick up and learn
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »

Here's my portfolio. I'm a skilled C# XNA programmer and I've been programming for around 4 years and worked in unity for around 1 of those years.

My skills include:
  •        Skilled Programmer mainly C#/XNA but can easily adapt to any C based language.
  •        Novice at C++, HTML, XML, Lua, Acionscript, Java and JavaScript.
  •         Basic Knowledge stack based languages e.g python and fourth
  •        Skilled Level Designer

Here's some pictures:
An RPG I coded:

It had working inventory and crafting system. Actions such as cast spell and activate buffs.
Multi Z-Level maps each with layers, With over 20,000 lines of code done in c#/XNA.

My current personal project is a platformer RPG with a built in level editor:

I only really work on this when I have nothing else to do, it's just something to make sure I don't get rusty.

Level Design:

These are some Rpg maps i did in Rpg Maker VX. I've been mapping in Rpg Maker
For about 2 - 3 years. And I cant find any pictures but I'm a big fan of Little Big Planet
And have made a few levels so I can do platformer to.

Here's my portfolio album http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k580/thekill473/Portfolio/

Thanks for reading and I hope to hear from you soon.
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:13:07 AM »

Hi,

My company (new retro studio) is actually currently working on an engine for visual novels.

I'll explain a bit about the engine, and how it works, and if you're interested - let me know:

The engine (windows based, at the moment), is a simple gui that allows you to simply drag and drop images, sound files, text blocks et cetra to the screen. You can order and organise these items into groups, and define their properties. The engine also supports plot branches, memory variables and more. Once you're done and happy with the results - you hit "render" and BOOM - windows installer for your VN (which you can sell freely).

Although the engine is ready, the GUI for it is still under production, but shouldn't be long. If you want to join the process and acquire the engine at its early stages - contact me ([email protected] or [email protected]).

Thanks,
-Shay

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic