Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:27:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLift - flight sandbox - v0.2.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Lift - flight sandbox - v0.2.0  (Read 51092 times)
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »

Unfortunately, I am out of town this week for work so I haven't had much time for development, but I am still focused on a playable build.

To put it bluntly, the first public build will not be pretty. What you've seen in the screenshots and gifs to this point is what you are going to get. It will be an ugly world with boxes to fly into, pillars to destroy your planes, and trees to limit your ability to take off and land, and of course crash in to. There will not be a pretty plane editor, but you will be able to create whatever you want with your favorite text editor. (I like notepad++)

Also, there will also be awesome flight physics and unlimited possibility (to crash and burn)!

Lift - Devlog | Play | Twitter
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »

Anyone up for a game of follow the leader?

Just working on some additional stuff to play around with before figuring out how to package up a playable build. These flight logs will be saved to a text file so they will be shareable.

This is already pretty fun to just try following the line, especially with planes other than the one that was used to record it. I might try to incorporate the attach / detach functionality in this, so not only would you have to figure out how to build a plane to fly the route, but also match the attachments that were used and detach at the appropriate times while still maintaining the ability to fly the rest of the route. And if those attachments were full planes, you would have to match their flight path also... yeah that is starting to sound impossible.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 05:09:49 PM »

This is intresting. Shocked

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 05:17:58 PM »

This loooks hella fun. Build a 3d version of this, but with sandbox bi-planes, and I'd play it!

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »

Thanks for the comments!

I have yet to decide whether or not to add any kind of guns or combat to this game. I've been leaning against it up to this point just because I feel like it will add unnecessary complexity and take the focus away from what it is currently... which is a complete lack of focus and just an empty sandbox. But I can also see how it could be fun to figure out how to build a plane and mount guns on it, while also trying to keep it capable of flying. It would be easy enough to have different classes of planes to keep things fair, based on weight or something similar.

Still a lot to think about and figure out...

In the meantime, here is a gif of failing to follow the leader, because I like crashing and making gifs. This one is partly due to it being hard to follow the path and also getting used to flying with an xbox controller.

Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »

Wow, this looks amazing!  I really like the ability to attach/detach additional structures, though I'm not sure exactly what purpose it could serve.  It's just...cool for its own sake!   Smiley

Is having combat and it being a sandbox completely mutually exclusive?  Even if there weren't intelligent enemies to fight, I would find it interesting to try and make a doomsday machine air-worthy.

There are definitely lots of different directions this could be taken.  After scrolling down and reading on some of the posts the thought of combat with different ship classes doing different things popped into my head.  That is...slow, big ships with landing strips being support, and smaller fighter ships wizzing around them doing offense, and mid-sized ships playing cat and mouse with the smaller fighters, and so on.  Okay, time to bring my head back from the clouds!

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 04:03:07 PM »

The attach/detach stuff is definitely a really cool feature, and like you said I'm not entirely sure how it fits in.

I think combat could be added while still maintaining a sandbox style of play and the more I think about it the more fun it sounds. I think it would have to be added with some of the ideas in mind that you bring up. Not so much like the newly released combat flight games, but more of an over the top, crazy style and purpose.

Speaking of which... here is the first attempted landing on a flying mothership.. it definitely needs to be bigger!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »

^^
Very cool. Now imagine if you could construct a flying runway that could detach into a group of smaller planes and then reattach somewhere else

And you're probably planning to give the game a stylish visual overhaul, but I really like the abstract style. Anyone else?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »

^^
Very cool. Now imagine if you could construct a flying runway that could detach into a group of smaller planes and then reattach somewhere else

And you're probably planning to give the game a stylish visual overhaul, but I really like the abstract style. Anyone else?

That might be the craziest idea yet Big Laff The functionality is all there for that to happen except for the reattach part. And figuring out how to design functional planes that could be attached in a way to create a runway, but that part could be solved I bet. The reattachment is a little trickier.. I suppose it could be as simple as having a trigger area where it was originally attached and just flying back into that spot. I foresee many horrible midair collisions trying to reattach two planes  Grin

As for the visual style, I was actually just having a conversation about that today.  I don't really have any stylish vision for the visuals. The current style allows for a very flexible building system, as opposed to prebuilt meshes that could possibly get deformed and ugly based on how they are sized or put together. I do think there will need to be some variation eventually, but I don't have a plan at the moment.

I really like the abstract environment elements, especially the stuff that is a bit oversized and exaggerated. I think I will explore the limits of that style for the environment. I just don't think it would work too well to have a realistic environment to fly non realistic planes in.

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »

Just another random contraption I wanted to test while working on some other things...

This is a glider sitting on top a really ugly transport thing. The transport has a couple powerplants and some fuselage for the glider to sit and keep in place and some landing gear. There is a block at the end of the cliff that the transport runs into and stops while the glider just keeps on going.

Hmm... now I wonder if this type of thing could be a loophole for certain challenges...

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

I'd love to play this! Looks really interesting ^^

Also, I love your gifs, watched them almost 10 times each
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 06:51:57 PM »

I'd love to play this! Looks really interesting ^^

Also, I love your gifs, watched them almost 10 times each

What a great compliment, thanks Smiley

I am working as hard as I can to get something ready for public use, but I keep finding things that I rely on for my own enjoyment that are reliant on either the unity editor or some other inconvenience that should be properly fixed. I am hoping I can release something that other people will feel inspired to make cool gifs with also Wink

And just to keep the gif train rolling, here is something I put in the screenshot saturday thread. I'll probably leave this in because its kinda fun, but it was intended for testing. You can click on different parts of the plane to simulate that part and any child parts breaking off. There are a couple bugs in the gif due to other changes being made but its still fun.

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »

Spawning 5 planes at 3000 meters + gravity =

Keevor
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:19 PM »

Looking forward to see where this goes!
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »

You could break certain parts if you are stalling way to mutch :p

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 07:56:18 PM »

Looking forward to see where this goes!

Thanks! Stick around, I try to update often. Might have a screenshot of the plane builder tonight.

You could break certain parts if you are stalling way to mutch :p

If you stall, chances are your whole plane will break when you hit the ground  Wink

I've done some simple tests with having the plane break apart if you hit certain g-force levels, but it seemed a little more annoying than fun. I'm sure I will add it in as a configurable parameter though.

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »

Getting close...

I guess I lied about not including an in-game editor before releasing something. I just couldn't help myself.

It's still barely a step up from a text editor though Wink

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »

http://www.aviationweek.com/Blogs.aspx?plckPostId=Blog:7a78f54e-b3dd-4fa6-ae6e-dff2ffd7bdbbPost:e984d79a-ed5a-4da2-8985-4e86f1159984

I came across this randomly today and immediately wanted to start programming some functionality to allow this to be built.

#3 in that picture is a collection of rods that can dynamically change length in order to control the entire upper section, called the "aero-propulsive unit". From the link: "the aero-propulsive unit can be moved relative to the fuselage - fore/aft, up/down, left/right, or rotated in pitch, roll or yaw – as a function of the aircraft’s center-of-gravity position to increase load-carrying capacity". Hmm...

This will likely go on the back burner for now and go right along with some of this other cool stuff that may or may not have any practical use in a game Smiley

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 11:12:56 PM »

Playable builds!

Web Player

Windows

This was sort of rushed due to time constraints, and I was unable to include the editor that I've been working on. I'm also heading out of town for a couple weeks for work so I won't have much time to work on this.

I've already realized a couple things I have left out of the help screen.
1) speed is the top number on the screen
2) throttle percent is the bottom number
3) press F2 to toggle the diagnostic colored lines

Some things in here are extremely unpolished and unfinished.

Included in the build are 3 different planes and a temporary environment to explore and play around in.

The planes are fairly basic, but each demonstrate different flight capabilities and characteristics.

For a basic challenge, try to get the heavy plane off the 'runway' spawn point.

Enjoy! and please leave any feedback, positive or negative.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:23 AM »

I can't take off with the heavy plane Sad. Well, I managed it once, but only by bouncing off the hill on the right and keeping just enough of my wing intact.

Surely the classic thing for a flying aircraft carrier is to match speeds with it, and hook on from below.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic