Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:33:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLift - flight sandbox - v0.2.0
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
Print
Author Topic: Lift - flight sandbox - v0.2.0  (Read 51095 times)
billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »

Soon though, I hope. I'm still trying to figure out what direction this is going to go in. There's just a million ideas running through my head and on paper. One thing is certain though, the editor needs improvement, so that is where the focus is for now at least.

Is it possible this is one of those games that will have an indefinite rolling release? Were you going to add a level editor? If so that makes four big features if you count sandbox, challenges and plane editor. You might want to think about adding spit and polish to those and slapping a price on this thing.
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 24, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »

Soon though, I hope. I'm still trying to figure out what direction this is going to go in. There's just a million ideas running through my head and on paper. One thing is certain though, the editor needs improvement, so that is where the focus is for now at least.

Is it possible this is one of those games that will have an indefinite rolling release? Were you going to add a level editor? If so that makes four big features if you count sandbox, challenges and plane editor. You might want to think about adding spit and polish to those and slapping a price on this thing.

I'm not entirely sure where the line is between keeping it free and putting a price on it. This seems like an ideal game for early access or some other alpha funding method, but I just want to make sure there is a little more focus before I think about putting a price on it.

Anyway, here are a couple of the newest and craziest designs, both made by Cosmic Grenade.

Those are separate, detachable missiles on the 2nd one. And they both fly, even the train Smiley

Lift - Devlog | Play | Twitter
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: March 24, 2014, 03:27:13 PM »

Has anyone made a Flappy Bird plane yet?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 24, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »

Has anyone made a Flappy Bird plane yet?

Not yet, surprisingly. I think the lack of flappy wings has something to do with it.

Once that functionality is released to the public I think our forum goer "supes" will be the first to jump on that. Either that or he has something else up his sleeve, I recall that being a request quite some time ago.

Speaking of which, I think the man of steel plane needs some tweaking and a re-publish for this latest version so the rest of the world can experience his greatness. That, and I really want to see if I can mount the sky whale with him Wink

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 26, 2014, 07:03:46 AM »

I had mentioned a while back that a friend of mine had made those fancier plane assets for me to play around with, and well now he has a game hes been working on for a few years that he just put on greenlight.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=241933340

I have been working with him on and off for the last 6 or 7 years on various game and non game related stuff. We've even worked on a couple shipped titles together. I'm hoping some day I can drag him into Lift development because he does really good work, but we will just have to wait and see about that Tongue

Tangrin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: March 31, 2014, 05:26:24 AM »

Hey man!

I have finally made a TigSource account Smiley. What is your devlog doing all the way at page 10? I had to dig and dig, you haven't been slacking have you  Tired?

Oh, and thanks for plugging Kyn, greenlight is going well so far, just ask if you need models or whatever for Lift, I want to see some updates soon!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: March 31, 2014, 06:37:18 AM »

Hey man!

I have finally made a TigSource account Smiley. What is your devlog doing all the way at page 10? I had to dig and dig, you haven't been slacking have you  Tired?

Oh, and thanks for plugging Kyn, greenlight is going well so far, just ask if you need models or whatever for Lift, I want to see some updates soon!
Welcome to TIG! Kyn looks great, wouldn't have learned about it if not for forsy's shoutout. You have my vote Smiley

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Tangrin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:30 AM »

Hey man!

Welcome to TIG! Kyn looks great, wouldn't have learned about it if not for forsy's shoutout. You have my vote Smiley

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Greenlight is a scary thing. Getting enough votes is tricky. At the moment I think you need about 8.5-11.000 yes votes and it is really hard to get those on Greenlight itself. But what is even scarier is that its unclear if and when Valve will take a look at your game and their selection process has felt a bit random at times.

I am also a big fan of Lift, I have been pushing forsy a bit to go at it fulltime since it has so much potential. I will convince him, it will just take some time Smiley.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: March 31, 2014, 07:37:16 AM »

Hey man!

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Greenlight is a scary thing. Getting enough votes is tricky. At the moment I think you need about 8.5-11.000 yes votes and it is really hard to get those on Greenlight itself. But what is even scarier is that its unclear if and when Valve will take a look at your game and their selection process has felt a bit random at times.

I am also a big fan of Lift, I have been pushing forsy a bit to go at it fulltime since it has so much potential. I will convince him, it will just take some time Smiley.
I could imagine. Sometimes I question how much votes really play into getting Greenlit. No offense to Crawl, which looks insanely awesome, but I highly doubt it could have gotten enough votes to be Greenlit in less than 24 hours. It does seem like Valve has been a bit more lax lately and the larger batches help more games get onto Steam, though.

Well the rumors are that Greenlight is going away in favor of self-publishing

Yeah, I've been following Lift from the beginning. It's come such a long way since those GIFs and images on the first page. I think what appeals to me the most is the inherent variety due to the plane editor and the mix of realistic physics with abstract environments and minimalist visuals.

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2014, 12:19:10 PM »

Hey Tangrin, welcome! Sucks that greenlight is such a mystery still. Based on all the positive feedback for Kyn it seems like it should get through no problem. I have spread the word as best I can, unfortunately the Lift community is pretty small still Smiley

And speaking of community, I decided to take some time and put together some user showcase screenshots (click for big):

b5cully:

FreakonFlight:

Cosmic Grenade:

The monstrosity in the b5cully showcase is the 'Hercules H-4'. The current design challenge is to build a real plane at 1:1 scale. Pretty sure that is the biggest plane built in Lift so far. And the screenshot doesn't do it justice, but the bottom plane in the 2nd shot is a wright flyer. Not built to scale, but definitely awesome and very detailed.

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2014, 07:01:59 PM »

Some of those designs are inspiring. Just a thought on player numbers and direction. I don't mind the editor a bit, and clearly there are a few people who have no issue at all, but perhaps integrating it into the 'game' as a menu might be another way of streamlining the process of building, testing and playing. This could be a bit of a radical departure from the current design and a bit of work but it sounds like nothing is set in stone, apart from the obvious and it may help to solidify what you think is the best course of development.
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 02, 2014, 05:43:33 AM »

Some of those designs are inspiring. Just a thought on player numbers and direction. I don't mind the editor a bit, and clearly there are a few people who have no issue at all, but perhaps integrating it into the 'game' as a menu might be another way of streamlining the process of building, testing and playing. This could be a bit of a radical departure from the current design and a bit of work but it sounds like nothing is set in stone, apart from the obvious and it may help to solidify what you think is the best course of development.

I'm not sure I follow. I think your quotes around 'game' are throwing me off Tongue Are you suggesting integrating the building part directly into the gameplay, instead of having them as separate sections on the main menu?

Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep...

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 02, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »

Yes I agree, your lack of sleep is to blame and not my overlong, confusing suggestion Grin

BTW you nailed it. Integrate building into gameplay. Sounds like you're not convinced current design is working out, in terms of player numbers. As an experiment it might help to see if such a suggestion changes anything in this regard.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: April 02, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »

Yes I agree, your lack of sleep is to blame and not my overlong, confusing suggestion Grin

BTW you nailed it. Integrate building into gameplay. Sounds like you're not convinced current design is working out, in terms of player numbers. As an experiment it might help to see if such a suggestion changes anything in this regard.
So like Incredipede's setup? You're given a challenge and you need to construct a plane to complete it, as simple or complex as you like

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: April 02, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »

Those planes look fantastic Smiley

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 02, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »

Man, we are on different wavelengths today Tongue I don't know what you are referring to in the bold part. The only thing that comes to mind as an issue of player numbers and current design is there are too many people building planes and I'm guessing 90% of the people that download and play are not seeing 90% of the awesome planes that have been built, only the most recent ones which very likely could be garbage unless they scroll way down. I do try to go through and clean up the random stuff that gets published though, so that helps a bit.

So like Incredipede's setup? You're given a challenge and you need to construct a plane to complete it, as simple or complex as you like

This was the first thing that came to my mind also, but I think we can be a little more creative than this. Given the complexity of limitless possibilities of flight, I think there is an opportunity to do something really cool here. I do still like the challenges and think there will be a place for them, it just seems kind of obvious and not really all that enticing in terms of a primary game mode.

I've got some good stuff brewing for how to wrap this thing up into an actual game. One of these days I'll organize my notes and post a hopefully coherent design direction in here. A lack of solid direction has really made it difficult for me to get into a groove productivity wise. I guess I'll also blame this ungodly winter, which is going to drop another foot of snow tomorrow.

Those planes look fantastic Smiley

It's getting hard to keep up with them all. I'm also getting sick of this damn sandbox level. I'd like to have more awesome changes before I do another build, but I might have to push one out the door with just a better sandbox map, or maybe even a few different ones. I think all these cool designs are wasted just flying around a big open area like the current sandbox map.

Oh and also Lift had a brief mention in a RPS article yesterday: link

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »

Sounds like it's time for a city map or something. Close building to weave between, maybe a bridge to fly under. We flew around big open sandboxes long enough

As for players only seeing a fraction of the interesting planes, how about a weekly developer's choice, in which the coolest, most original or unique planes made that week are featured?

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2014, 05:43:28 AM »

Sounds like it's time for a city map or something. Close building to weave between, maybe a bridge to fly under. We flew around big open sandboxes long enough

As for players only seeing a fraction of the interesting planes, how about a weekly developer's choice, in which the coolest, most original or unique planes made that week are featured?

I tried to build this last sandbox so that as long as the plane was designed properly to fly, anyone should be able to fly around without crashing left and right. I think that worked, but half the fun is also putting forth some effort to avoid crashing.

I definitely need to add better sorting and a "featured" section to the plane list. It would be cool to do these user showcase screenshots and post those in game and allow people to select a plane from the image or something, but that is probably a little too much work for a feature that will probably be temporary.

Or maybe I'll just monetize the shit out of this, and people can pay me to get their planes to the top of the list Tongue

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 04, 2014, 06:51:30 AM »

Necessity is the mother of invention.

I wasn't able to get the wright flyer plane off the ground properly to do the ring leader challenge, see below:

I should note that this was actually the only time I ever got the thing off the ground. Just a masterful takeoff maneuver, if you ask me Tongue Unfortunately the result was still the same.

So, I built a cart to give it a little extra push on the runway:

Now I'm not even sure that plane can complete that challenge, it is a bitch to fly.

edit:
Another example - attaching a glider to the cart and using it to complete the sky whale challenge...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:28:55 AM by forsy » Logged

failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: April 05, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »

So, the actual Wright Flyer was not a very good plane.

Also, Ed McMillen's Time Fcuk had an interesting feature:  It had lots of user generated levels, but to submit one, you had to beat it yourself.  This prevented people from submitting impossible levels.
I don't think you need to be that strict, but if there was a series of challenges that could be completed to put a plane higher on the featured list, that might nicely fit with your goals of approachable planes and defeating challenges.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic