Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:58:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLift - flight sandbox - v0.2.0
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Author Topic: Lift - flight sandbox - v0.2.0  (Read 51082 times)
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 05, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »

So, the actual Wright Flyer was not a very good plane.

Also, Ed McMillen's Time Fcuk had an interesting feature:  It had lots of user generated levels, but to submit one, you had to beat it yourself.  This prevented people from submitting impossible levels.
I don't think you need to be that strict, but if there was a series of challenges that could be completed to put a plane higher on the featured list, that might nicely fit with your goals of approachable planes and defeating challenges.

I'm not sure the physics in Lift are capable of capturing the true capabilities of the Wright Flyer. Even though the one that was built in Lift is not very good at flying, I think it is mostly coincidence Tongue

I like that idea you propose though. As far as the challenges go, I thought the individual plane success rate would be useful to indicate how good a plane was, but that turned out to be a fairly crappy idea. Even I ignore that success rate %, and think that I can probably do it if everyone else can't, as if it were a challenge in itself. Plus there are just too many planes to cycle through that its pointless to try to pay attention to the success rate. You just find one that looks like you want to fly.

There needs to be more gameplay and importance associated with either building a legit plane or actually completing the challenges. I have some ideas for this, but it will have to wait Tongue

Also, 300th post! And I put up a pretty fun news post on indiedb today showcasing some attachment stuff.

How to attach planes together and have fun doing it

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:29:45 PM by forsy » Logged

Lift - Devlog | Play | Twitter
failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: May 22, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »

Article about the world's worst airplane designs:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140522-are-these-the-worlds-worst-plane
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »

Article about the world's worst airplane designs:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140522-are-these-the-worlds-worst-plane

Awesome article. I think I should have been taking notes and screenshots of some of the worst planes built in Lift so I could create a similar list Smiley

-----
It has been a long time since I posted an update! Unfortunately I'm not posting about a mega huge new update with all kinds of cool stuff to show. Lots of distractions and some general burnout from working on a computer for 16 hours a day have kept me from pushing onward with development.

Prior to stopping development I was working on a real website for Lift. Didn't get too far but I did put up some forums.

http://www.flightsandbox.com
http://forum.flightsandbox.com

Not much on the homepage, just a few links. Not a lot on the forums either but there has been a little discussion.

Another milestone was reached recently, 10,000 challenges attempted!

Just about 10% success rate.

Lots of new players are finding their way to the game every day and new stuff is still being built, so that is fun to see.

Hopefully I can get back into development one of these days. Until then, Beer!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:23:50 PM by forsy » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »

It was a great little game dude, see you around sometime.

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 12, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »

It's been over 120 days since the last post in this topic? How sad..

Anyway, I've had some ideas lately and decided to spend some time this weekend working on them. Here is a long gif:

This is a new system for building wings. These new wings are made up of any number of wing sections, in this case 3. There are different controls for adjusting the size and shape of the sections. Each section can also have a flap of variable depth. Sections can be rotated along the z axis.

There were a couple significant reasons why I prototyped this idea. The first is to allow people to easily build wings that aren't squares. It was painful to see how fighter jet wings had to be put together. With this new system it will be quick and painless.

The second big reason is to finally fix some physics issues that were previously ignored in order to allow the previously mentioned fighter jet wings to function properly. Realistically, wings should not produce lift unless they are moving through the air in the proper direction and orientation. In order to build the fighter jet wings, a bunch of little wings had to be used and oriented in various ways to get the proper shape. If I had fixed this issue, those randomly oriented wings would have caused problems and those planes wouldn't have been able to fly properly. It also looks bad with all those little overlapping wings. The physics fix will mostly improve stall behavior.

I would like to bring this same type of system into the fuselage as well. It shouldn't be as painful as it is to build nice looking fuselage.

Not sure if or when any of this will make it into a live build. At the very least, hopefully it won't be another 120+ days until the next post Beer!

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 13, 2014, 09:58:38 PM »

Here I am thinking, it's been months since I checked out the devlogs on tig, I wonder what's happened to Lift? That was fun right!? Boom, you've just posted an update. Fate. Destiny. Coincidence. Bowel movement? Yeah probably the latter. Time to see if there's anything fun and new to play with.

This is what made me think of Lift again. I want to fly over that waterfall with a skywhalechoochootrain.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:00:19 AM by billyboob » Logged
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2014, 09:15:30 AM »

Hey BB, good to see you BMing around here still. I like that image you linked to, I bet it would look really cool animated. Haven't really had anyone dive into Lift and build a bunch of cool stuff in quite a while so there's probably not a whole lot of new toys to play with.

-
Had some more free time last night so I put together a new fuselage editor, similar to the wing one. Here is another obnoxiously long gif showing some of the functionality.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »

Nice seeing this devlog pop up on the first page again! How's everything going?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 14, 2014, 05:21:34 PM »

Nice seeing this devlog pop up on the first page again! How's everything going?

Hey Christian, nice to see you're still around here too. Things are good, for now. Lots of work stuff coming up, relocating to another state, and in about a month or so my wife will be popping out our first child. I'm not entirely sure how this is all going to play out, but I don't want this project to fade into nothingness so I figured I'd rekindle the fire a bit while I still have some free time. Haven't really worked on any game related stuff in a long time so I kind of needed a fix anyway.

failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: October 16, 2014, 08:29:42 PM »

Not to be a doomsayer, but when my boy was born, I had to go on hiatus for two years.
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »

Not to be a doomsayer, but when my boy was born, I had to go on hiatus for two years.

Damn, that seems like the worst case scenario. I've also heard the opposite, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

-
On a side note, I think the latest build (from many months ago) might have some significant bugs in the code. Stuff like wings not applying weight or drag properly. I probably won't get around to putting out a fix since these new changes likely won't be compatible with the old stuff, but at least there will be some further improvements to the simulation down the road if I get another build out.

failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »

Well, he's five now, and we make board games together.  So, it's not like the time was lost Smiley
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »

Exploring some editor functionality. There is a lot of info I want to show aside from what it already shown, such as center of gravity, lift, etc. Still trying to figure out how to show it all without being a cluttered mess. I tried some contextual popups depending on what you are hovering over or interacting with, but a lot of the data seems important enough to be shown all the time. I think I'm heading in the right direction with this though; it is much easier and more enjoyable to work with than the previous setup.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:27:28 PM by forsy » Logged

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »

Decided to go overboard a bit here. I'm not sure all the lines are necessary, but it's kind of growing on me. It might be one of those things that is nice for the first experience with the tool but once you learn what the numbers represent it becomes a bit excessive.

I also changed how the wing widths are set so now there is a span setting that changes the total width of the wing and the inner controls just slide within that overall width. I think this works a lot better.

forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »

One more update... I applied the same updates to the fuselage editor. Still needs some additional info displayed and some more features, but it works well enough for now and definitely better than before.

Ege
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »

why dont you have sliders for axis ?
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 09, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »

why dont you have sliders for axis ?

You mean like this? I hid them for the last couple posts because it's a bit too cluttered with them in and it's easy to grab the wrong widget. I'll probably have to have a hotkey to switch between edit modes.

failrate
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: November 09, 2014, 08:31:50 AM »

I don't have anything constructive to say.  Just imagine a long slow clap in your honor.   Smiley
forsy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 10, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »

I don't have anything constructive to say.  Just imagine a long slow clap in your honor.   Smiley

Beer!

--

Trying to figure out a couple things here. First, just a quick demo of how the center of gravity (yellow sphere) adjusts as the size and shape of the fuselage changes. I also set up switching between different edit modes. In this case I added another mode for adjusting the vertical and horizontal offset of section connections. I added this in order to allow a bit more creativity and realism in fuselage shape. My issues with it right now is it doesn't feel as user friendly as the other widgets, and because of where the other widgets are placed, changing the offsets can result in the others being harder to read and/or use. I have some ideas to try though.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: November 10, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »

Woooo, you're back! This next version looks much more user friendly. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic