Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:27:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsIntegration Failure
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Integration Failure  (Read 4666 times)
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 04:05:31 PM »

Consider this your first piece of fanart!

Been trying to get better at pixelart, so this was pretty fun to do

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »

@ Derqs  Nice.  Yay, fanart.

----

I've been trying out Unity 4.3, and working on improving collision stuff.  Using the built in Physics/box2d system is probably overkill, but we shall see.

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 01:19:15 PM »

@ Derqs  Nice.  Yay, fanart.

----

I've been trying out Unity 4.3, and working on improving collision stuff.  Using the built in Physics/box2d system is probably overkill, but we shall see.

How are you liking Unity 4.3? (Judging by the tutorial video it looks really complicated to use)

Your game looks great by the way, I love the space ships  Grin

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 10:53:28 AM »

@ Slader16 -- Thanks.   Unity 4.3...  pretty good.  I'm still using 2D Toolkit for a bunch of stuff, but it's nice to have things generally streamlined for 2d, and having more ways of doing things is also nice.  It's also been more stable for me. Yay.

----
I've still been working on collision/physics stuff. The built in 2d physics system is solving a few problems I was having while trying to do it without physics, so I going to stick with it for now.  At least until I get more of the game implemented or run into performance issues.

For some reason it feels wrong to rely on built in things that are easy to use.  But If I want to get this thing done on my own, in a reasonable amount of time...  Undecided

I'm playing with having some texture overlays:

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 11:19:15 AM »

This whole last week I've pretty much only been programming, so no pictures to show Sad
Mostly I've been working on getting general use systems working so it will be faster to add things to the game now.  I hope.  Physics things and general object interactions.  Currently enemies can destroy each other...

Yesterday I added the ability to land your ship, get out of it and walk around.  I'm still integrating it and trying to decide whether it is worth having in the game.

Also trying to make some design decisions around whether or not to have the screen scrolling be controlled by the player, or just a constant scrolling.  Initially it was constant, now it's not.  I like it more when it's not constant, but it means I have to put a lot more thought into how the borders of levels will be defined.

This week I also found out about "risk of rain", and played the demo.  Now I'm slightly worried some of the ideas I've had for this game are going to be too similar to ideas in that game.   Shrug eh, probably won't be an issue.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 11:46:39 AM by compostface » Logged

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 11:54:15 AM »

Hey, just discovering this devlog now.

Wonderful color palette! I love the faded, slightly-yellow-tinted colors you've got going there. Gives it a nice sense of nostalgia. I have to say, I'm not crazy about the texture overlay though. I think it's a little too strong and overpowering at the moment. Perhaps tone it down a bit, so it's a little more subtle?

This week I also found out about "risk of rain", and played the demo.  Now I'm slightly worried some of the ideas I've had for this game are going to be too similar to ideas in that game.   Shrug eh, probably won't be an issue.

Yeah, don't worry about that. I think even if two games have similar premises and mechanics, the execution has a huge impact on the outcome, and the final results will most likely be completely different.

Anyway, looking forward to future developments. Good luck!

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »

Wonderful color palette! I love the faded, slightly-yellow-tinted colors you've got going there. Gives it a nice sense of nostalgia. I have to say, I'm not crazy about the texture overlay though. I think it's a little too strong and overpowering at the moment. Perhaps tone it down a bit, so it's a little more subtle?

Thanks for the feedback.  I was wondering about the texture.  I think at the moment I like it just because I don't have much going on in the background and it helps balance things a bit.  I'll definitely keep playing with it, and possibly not have it at all.  If it becomes something that polarizes people I might just make it something you can switch off(like was done in "Reprisal").

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »

I spent too long on this stuff... considering it might just be a useless extra thing you can do.  But I like it, and may end up integrating it with your objectives as the player.

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »

I made some music today.  It has problems and will likely be thrown out/replaced, but it feels like a step in the direction that I'm going for:

http://soundcloud.com/absurditure/metabolism

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 08:33:20 AM »

WOW. You're awesome at machinery, I'd love to see what else you can come up with!

The only thing that irks me so far is the animation of the turret, it looks kind of rubbery rather than sturdy.

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »

@ Exception -- Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try some different things with the turret animation when I work on it again for the resized version.

Working on cloud tilesets.  I like drawing clouds on paper, but getting their organic form to work in tileset form is difficult... Droop
Also not sure about going for the flat bottom cloud method or not.  It's definitely easier, but it doesn't necessarily make sense based on where you are viewing them from.  Of course most people probably won't even care about such things...

I don't think the borders idea on the first set work that well.

Otherwise I've been programming, and dealing with various *real life* distractions.

rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »

With the getting out and walking and the note about whether it's constant scrolling, is it more of a shootem up or a more atmospheric exploration thing?

Also you ever play Metal Warriors on the SNES? You had a giant robot, but you could climb out. I mostly just played the two-player mode, where if your robot was too heavily damaged, you'd try to run away and find a replacement robot.

compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 06:34:53 AM »

I may or may not be be getting back to work on this.  Embarrassed

Random shape playing:

Tried out using transparent brushes("pixel art the wrong way").  It's weird:

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic