Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:27:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTrolling is Fun
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Trolling is Fun  (Read 1977 times)
Monothu
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »

At Guert's request, I will move a discussion from the Beginner's guide to indie gaming thread here.  The following is taken from that thread.

What happens when the beginner finishes those games?  It's not like telling him those games is a bad thing.  It's just a convenient list of games to play.  Suppose the person doesn't find anything he really likes in those 10 games but he does in those 200 games.  Why wouldn't you put tons of obscure stuff in there?  What is the point in only telling him stuff he has heard of before?  Indie games are about being obscure and known by only the nerdiest of nerds.  I would even go as far to say that the more obscure games like Obake and Soldexus are more indie than the well known games like Cave Story and Noitu Love.

Indie games are about being obscure and known by only the nerdiest of nerds. 

I would even go as far to say that the more obscure games like Obake and Soldexus are more indie than the well known games like Cave Story and Noitu Love.

more indie

you suck.

Hmm...  Perhaps we should make this list smaller and instead create an indiencyclopedia of all good indie games.  Something that will be of use to all indie gamers, not just the new ones.  Also, why do I suck?  Just because I believe Cave Story isn't as indie as certain obscure Japanese games?  I don't think Cave Story is a bad game, in fact I believe quite the contrary.  It's just that indie games are by definition obscure and Obake is more that than Cave Story.

what are you? somekind of joke alt account?

indie games are by definition made independently.
how well known they are has nothing to do with "how indie" they are.

obscurity does not equal independence.
lots of retail games are extremely obscure.

you believe that varying degrees of independence exist and are inversely proportional to how famous a game is.

regardless of how good or not cave story is, it remains that it was made by one guy, for free, over years, and was distributed at no cost. that is indie. the fact it is a worldwide phenomenon in no way changes that.

and that is why you suck.

It might be worth it if you'd read this. As for how I stand towards such an attitude... I just plain despise it. An indie game's indie because the maker made it to his vision, not because it's some obscure thing. Take Sword of the Samurai, for example. That game's pretty damn obscure, but it isn't indie. It's made by quite a big team (for its time), and went to the stores probably far different than how the designer/designers (probably more, as I know one specific part was made by Sid Meier, while other parts weren't) intended the total to be. Still is one hell of a game, though (my favourite), and it's so obscure it hurts, but it's not indie because of it, while Cave Story, although it's got the attention of the games industry as well as from indie gamers, still is and always will be an indie game.

I am a miserable little pile of secrets.  But enough talk!  Have at you!  Yes, indie games are made independently.  I would say that how well known something is does have something to do with their indieness.  Nintendo publishes their own games but no one thinks of Nintendo when they think indie.  I'm not about to call Planescape Torment or Die by the Sword indie.  Obscure games are more indie because the are more independent of a player's loving hands.  Cave Story is hardly a worldwide phenomenon.  Cave Story is indie.  Obake is more indie.

im more indie than you are.

and so is my dad.

Please, if you want to throw insults at each others, start a thread specialy for this. I don't think it looks very good when you make a beginners guide to something and people are at each other's throat Tongue

I don't care about the "indie"-ness of a title. It's indie and that's all I care about.

I'm just confused how one thing can be more indie than the other. I mean, Cave Story was made by Pixel, and as I understand it he's just one man. Can you get anymore independant than that?

Although I did like the idea of the Indiecyplodia. Be a heck of a bugger to do though...

Also, I think it's called 'The Home of the Underdogs'.

DISCUSS

Breathing - America's true national pastime.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:33:18 AM »

No, I don't want to continue that discussion here at all. Shocked
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »

Thread split.