Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:24:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGames you REALLY dislike / hate
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Games you REALLY dislike / hate  (Read 32052 times)
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2008, 08:43:23 AM »

guitar hero and rock band irritate me...

I totally agree with you. To me, Guitar Hero is pretty much the same thing as playing Simon with the radio on.

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2008, 09:05:46 AM »

Beyond the Beyond(Psx)
Walk a pixel, pfffffiiiitt, random battle. Walk another pixel, pfffffffffiiiiit, random battle..this goes on, until you remove the power cord from your psx and destroy the cd(yes, it will stay with you if you let it be) Shocked

even more infuriating is the dev team's potential- combat graphics are nice, and music by Motoi Sakuraba...but...story portraits?

oh and lest I forget...a 3d intro, typical of the psx years when you had gorgeous 2d art in a game, but a eye bursting awful cg cinematic to put you in the mood(see Brigandine)

Movius
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2008, 09:13:57 AM »

The Marriage.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:37 AM »

i dislike every war game based off real life. war is fucking not cool, and it disgusts me how they portray war in videogames. just make shit up, or use mythology. im tired of one of our peoples being portrayed as good guys and one as bad guys.

hypocritically, day of defeat is pretty much my favorite fps that ive played (solely for its game mechanics)

i also dislike the smash bro games, except for super mario wars

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »

i dislike every war game based off real life. war is fucking not cool, and it disgusts me how they portray war in videogames. just make shit up, or use mythology. im tired of one of our peoples being portrayed as good guys and one as bad guys.
This is actually the reason that World War II is generally used a lot, because the Nazis were the bad guys, pretty much no matter how you look at it, and people don't have to ever feel morally against killing them.

Still, The Simpsons Game put it well. "What a great way to remember a time that our elders would rather forget: by making it into a video game."

(I probably butchered that quote)

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2008, 10:49:57 AM »

Blarrr I never played Guild Wars (Beat three quests or something) and now I lost the disc.
I wanted to play it but I never bothered finding other people who would play with me (which is in MMOs a necessity, unless you want a bunch of ignorant dumbasses, haha).

Actually, it's probably still on my old hard-drive, maybe I could get it working again.

Also, all the good MMOs (Gunbound, Puzzle Pirates, etc) I've played have been in beta when I played them. Once they leave beta, bam, suck community builds up instantly

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »

PEE ESS the purpose of that second, er, 'paragraph', was to ask: If I get Guild Wars (milli vanilli version) up again you guys will do play with me? Well, hello there!

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »

CASUAL GAMES : MATCH3s, HOs, ETC... FUCK THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THESE SHITTY GAMES JUST FOR MONEY, BURN IN HELL

SHITTY FLASH GAMES (AND I THINK THAT DESCRIBES MOST FLASH GAMES NOWADAYS AMIRITE?)

RTS: NOT FUN DUDE

MMOS : SEE RTS

FINAL FANTASIES : ACTUALLY ALL GAMES WITH THE ANIME AESTHETIC, RIDICULOUS CHARACTERS AND PLOTS THAT WERE WRITTEN BY A 25 YEARS OLD OTAKU, IT'S BORING. GROW UP.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »

Chrono Trigger was terrible, because it

1: had artwork by the dude who made Dragon Ball Z, which makes me want to vomit.
2: did not use the time traveling feature at all (it was just a backdrop, time traveling hardly ever mattered).
3: was filled with gimmicky bosses (all the bosses had some stupid trick you had to use to beat them, which meant that you would lose all your boss battles at least once just because the boss uses some stupid move that kills your party because you attacked its body instead of the head.)
4: The difficulty curve was just weird. Certain bosses were too easy, and some were impossibly difficult, with no real pattern to it.
5: What the fuck was up with Ayla's Forehead? It was the size of Kentucky!

The third problem pissed me off so much. Gimmicky bosses should be
A) Sparse. Too many gets really really annoying. Major bosses are more typically suited to straight-forward battles. When every boss you meet has some gimmick that you have to work around to defeat, you lose the sense of scale that major bosses are trying to accomplish. Phantasy Star 4 didn't have much in the way of gimmicky bosses at all. You just used your skills and attacked it and it would hopefully stop breathing at some point. But the bosses were awesome. Most of them take up the entire screen, and they all have ridiculous attacks that blow you away. I didn't encounter a single gripping encounter in Chrono Trigger before meeting Lavos. The only slightly comparable battle was against the reptoid leader.

B) Mild. Video games should be at least possible to beat the first time without dieing. Certain bosses in Chrono Trigger would just kill you in one hit if you did something wrong, and you would have no idea what it was that triggered it. Bosses should have either obvious weak points, or at least mild counterattacks to lessen the pain. Doing something wrong during a boss battle should result in a setback, not annihilation.

The best example of bosses done right is Secret of Mana. It had very similar graphical elements, but the bosses in it were much cooler. Some had specific gimmicks, like counterattacks or changing elements, but messing up against them wouldn't result in instant death.

I'm of the opinion that RPG games are defined by their bosses, and Chrono Trigger's bosses really didn't do it for me. Also, I may have way over elaborated on that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:37:31 AM by GeneralValter » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2008, 11:19:54 AM »

Akira Toriyama's art for the original Dragon Ball was actually good.
I have no idea why his art got worse with time WTF

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2008, 11:24:47 AM »

PEE ESS the purpose of that second, er, 'paragraph', was to ask: If I get Guild Wars (milli vanilli version) up again you guys will do play with me? Well, hello there!

Totally.

You can, you know, download the client again if you have lost your disk...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »

Sorry. I suppose I meant the DBZ days and beyond. Apologies to anime/manga fans out there.
Seth
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2008, 11:46:45 AM »

Huh, that's funny, I don't remember feeling cheated by Chrono Trigger bosses at all.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »

The point where I went "ok, this is ridiculous" was the mini Lavos you fight on the way up that mountain in the future. If any attack hits their body and not their head, including area attacks, it would counterattack with some massive damage thing that reduces everybody to critical hit points, or kills them.

Of course, there were also the golems at the underwater palace, which would annihilate you nine times out of ten which mimic your attack elements and then do massive area attacks (and also have massive speed), which might be acceptable if you didn't have to fight two at once. The same goes with the Gigas at the top of the floating mountain, which has a high speed, massive health, and uses an attack that will almost certainly kill you in two hits if you aren't extremely careful.

I would not have played through as far as I did if I weren't using an emulator.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 12:09:20 PM »

I'd say, fuck Peggle, but it isn't a game.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »

Also, anything that calls itself a MMORPG but doesn't have the slightest sense of roleplay.

I'm all for gaming with fellow TIGers.

I don't have Guild Wars.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:09:36 PM by Cheater » Logged
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »

I hate WoW. Okay, so I haven't played it. But I've played games like it and hated them. I get bored of things very quick.

What I don't like about it, is the way it makes my friends boring  Angry

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2008, 01:13:44 PM »

There's shitloads of games I hate for various reasons, some big and some really small.

The Sims - absolutely cannot stand that game. I never got the point. No score, no end.. just try to control people into doing boring or supposedly 'funny' stuff. I get that you 'achieve' things like get houses, families and whatever else but I really couldn't think of anything more boring.

Tower Defense games, specifically flash ones - don't mean to over generalise here. I did enjoy the one with ripped Warcraft graphics to a degree but most of the ones before and even moreso after had nothing new to offer aside from a slight variation in game mechanics and possibly stale, polished visuals.

Stair Dismount 2D (flash) and Death Worm (the flash version): absolutely sucked every bit of heart, soul and life out of what were unique and fun game mechanics in the originals.

Sim City - again, I just couldn't think of anything more boring and pointless than building a city and watching it interact.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

Kingdom Hearts was trash. It's for games what MegaTokio is for webcomics. The blatant and pointless fan-service is at the same time the source of its massive fail and its financial success. And my lack of faith in mankind. The second game did improve in many of its aspects, but not nearly enough to make me think of it as a good game.

Details:
1- "Darkness". This game made me hate that word so much. In a specific sequence, it's spoken nearly a dozen times in a few lines of dialogue in sequence from the same character.
2- The writing is pure fanfiction trash.
3- Environments look plain and boring.
4- CAMERA, WHY CAN'T ANYONE GET YOU DONE RIGHT?! Shoulder-buttons for camera control, having it leveled close to the ground in a game focused around arena-style combat with enemies all around you and above you, no transparency effect allowing everyone and their grandma to block your view of the action completely...
5- Abilities, items, etc had to be done with a menu. That you had to navigate without the game pausing, with the right analog. Especially fun during the many bullshit-fest boss fights.
6- The game's strategy can be summed up in finding and maxing two specific spells to render yourself virtually invulnerable, because no ammount of skill will help you here.
7- Unskippable, LONG, badly scripted cutscenes after checkpoints and before very bullshitty bosses that could take you many tries to beat. This is one aspect that KH2 fixed and probably made that game 50% more bearable.
8- Somebody had the bright idea of making defensive moves either useless or requiring you to read the future to use them. How the hell did they think a block that has a short time of defence that you can't hold and a delay both to start and to end it as a good idea, especially in a game where it's easy to be overwhelmed so being able to defend your ass for a while would be a very good thing? KH2 made this even worse.

Recent Wii/PS2 ports of games in more advanced consoles. Extremely lazy, the game having less features, broken controls/camera/whatever, and looking like a programmer-art tech demo instead of a finished game.

Movie-to-game ports. Their suckage is legendary by now and I've played enough to know for sure they should have never been spawned.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Renton
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »

The Sims - absolutely cannot stand that game. I never got the point. No score, no end.. just try to control people into doing boring or supposedly 'funny' stuff. I get that you 'achieve' things like get houses, families and whatever else but I really couldn't think of anything more boring.
I feel the same when I think about it. But it's some how hella fun and addictive when you actually get around to playing it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic