Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:21:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBear Knuckle - Brawl Night Long
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Bear Knuckle - Brawl Night Long  (Read 21034 times)
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »

This is the game I always wanted to make! I hope you're still working on this, because it's just too awesome! Smiley
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 11:35:56 PM »

Hey hey, yes we are still pottering around this. Updates hmmm.....

We've kind of stalled at the point of making it more playable for the public (mostly because of me). We've created a simplified login screen where you create a 'gang name' and then press play and it will find a random player to have a brawl with.

Ummmmm... we have mostly settled on the name 'Bear Knuckle', barring any lawsuits or trademark infringements.

We did some slight user testing and the game isn't as clear as it should be... but if you know all the secret rules around dazing, throwing and cover, then its pretty fun.

One of the more major decisions we are leaning towards is to make the game more like Hearthstone in that once a match is started you cant leave. This does have the added bonus of reducing the amount of UI work. And in the context of our game it makes more sense and matches are pretty short and quickfire.

I might chuck up a build soon! Even though its in a pre-alpha state it's good to get something out there.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 06:14:58 AM »

Keeping my eyes on this  Blink Blink

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »

Really excited about this one...
Just throwing my ideas out there:

Seeing as it looks to be an online game, For replay value you could have Two Modes:
"Even Stephen" - stats (I'll explain in next mode) for all players are equal and you don't gain any stats at the end.

"Level Up" - your character/username levels up and gains stats/abilities.
As you win fights, your level increases (or decrease if you loose?). This can act in conjunction with a leaderboard which obviously appeals to the player's competitive nature. It also acts to encourage players to "take out" the most notorious fighters in the west.

Increased stats could reward the experienced players with new/improved abilities. Examples:
+Throw distance
+Defence/Attack
+movement per turn
... I dunno, but you could get creative!

Rather than just piling on the new abilities etc and having an undefeatable player, the players might gain new abilities but be limited to applying only one per match.

I think this game could remain simple but with a few basic extra features, it could have a lot of depth and replay value.

All the best!

Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »

Heres a quick gameplay gif displaying my superior talent in playing a 3v2 situation and coming out on top. 

The resolve phase of the game can be pretty hard to understand at first. You tend to press 'Replay' about four times to work out what has happened. We have a few ideas on how to improve this, in the interim we are looking at adding a battlelog which should help with debugging also.

Thanks for the ideas Leo, definitely in line with our thinking.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:51:13 PM by Gorman » Logged

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »

I don't know enough detail to know if this would work for the resolve phase but.....
The characters could all become translucent/ghosts and one by one they make their move becoming opaque/solid again. You'd be able to see each move and eventually the consequences. There may be a bit of suspense as you wait to see if each move was successful or not.
I guess the attacks would have to pause before contact/miss or straight after leaving the hands of the character and then it would all finally play out after each move was displayed.

The other obvious idea is text and stats that let you know what's happened.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2015, 03:53:19 AM »

So this died? Looked really nice!

chossenger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 04:39:34 AM »

So this died? Looked really nice!

I seriously hope not, but it's starting to look that way. This was one of my only small looked-forward-to games out there. Cry
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2015, 02:08:52 AM »

I hope so as well. But i'm getting a little confident since they/him/her were posting in huge intervalls all time.
(also it's looking quite far developed)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic