Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:31:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGreedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Greedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!  (Read 33839 times)
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 08:39:25 AM »

I've started weekly updates on our page in IndieDB/Blog and Tumblr. Although I post here more regularly I think it wont hurt to do a weekly as well.

So what happened in Greedy Guns this week:

We added 4 enemies to the game. They shoot, bite and jump. Guess which ones do what Tongue

They’re still not animated yet, which brings us to my next task of the week, testing Animation Software. It was basically Spriter Vs Spine and we'll go with spine this time around. It's out of beta for one and it integrates with Unity3d and 2dToolkit.

I'm going to back it on kickstarter and should be able to start animating in 6 days  Beer!

Photoshop Mockups... I can’t get enough of them. I'm just trying to figure out the backgrounds and paralax layers. Here’s how it looks after an hour fiddling about in Unity3d.

Oh well...

Today I'll keep working on making the game look pretty. Just cause it's the weekend and I don't want to strain myself.

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »

Just had to share the latest screenshot. Liking the colors more. Also added some atmospheric particles (like fog) and a denser background tile.

On STEAM »
NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »

The latest shot you posted with the yellow-ish background looks much better than the previous ones (not that they looked bad mind). The contrast between fore and background makes things much clearer.

The flying monster guy he...well...the first thing I thought when I saw him was, "he looks like a floating upside-down ball sack."
CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

This looks so nice, the visuals are extremely eye appealing! Loving the dedication being put into this too, the frequent updates are keeping my interest! Awesome stuff, watching this thread for sure.
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 01:18:35 AM »

(...)
The flying monster guy he...well...the first thing I thought when I saw him was, "he looks like a floating upside-down ball sack."

Yeah Tongue That was one of the first character designs. I'm afraid he's not making it to the final game the penial little floater.

I'm glad you like the way it's looking. Let's see if it keeps improving with more tile variations and different vegetation.

This looks so nice, the visuals are extremely eye appealing! Loving the dedication being put into this too, the frequent updates are keeping my interest! Awesome stuff, watching this thread for sure.

Thanks! I'm really exited about this project. It's going to stretch my artist and design abilities like no project I ever did. Daunting and fun at the same time.

On STEAM »
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 02:20:58 AM »

This looks very cool Smiley. I love your design :O

P.S: We're using Spine for our project too, It's a great tool. You can get really good&smooth results
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 06:30:21 AM »

P.S: We're using Spine for our project too, It's a great tool. You can get really good&smooth results

Thanks! It's been a bit stressful doing the art for the game. It's not my expertise and there's so many talented people out there one can't help but fell diminished (or at least very modest)

I checked out Trashman's Steam Concept page. Looking very good. What did you use to assemble the levels?

On STEAM »
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »

Thanks! It's been a bit stressful doing the art for the game. It's not my expertise and there's so many talented people out there one can't help but fell diminished (or at least very modest)

I checked out Trashman's Steam Concept page. Looking very good. What did you use to assemble the levels?

Thank you Smiley

We're using two custom level editors. One for the space, and another one for the platform stages (we made it from scratch)
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »

Well, today I wanted to come up with some gun concepts. I set a few rules.

*has to be a handgun
*has to have a big muzzle (so it can shoot all sorts of stuff)
*can't be too long (so the shots don't originate to far from the player's body)
*has to be cartoony like the game but not Who Framed Roger Rabbit kinda gun.

Here is the result. Guess which one is my favorite Tongue What's yours?

The lenght of the character's arm will also dictate the design. When I start prepping Bob, our first character, for animation I'll polish one of these designs and tweak it so it fits the character and animations. For now these sketches are enough to guide me. No need to draw 10,000 more or paint them in Photoshop. I would love to, but I've got tons of other stuff to do for Greedy Guns...

Next stop, enemy concepts.

On STEAM »
ivansf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 08:22:12 AM »

Awesome work so far.. Subscribed.
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »

Thanks ivansf

Here's part of today's tangible work.

Round 1 of tanky aliens

Round 2 of tanky aliens

I wanted to get a nice shape for the more buffed enemies. Melee beasts that jump after you if you escape to higher ground - kinda like the handyman in Bioshock Infinite.

Going to do 2 our 3 variations of the same body type. Reskins of sorts. Different behaviors and stats but overall same animations.

Video anyone?
Rendering a time lapse video of these concepts in the making. Will post it today or tomorrow. Also have the full process vids if anyone is interested. Will probably put them up as well.

Also did some flying creatures today but I need to rest from the interwebs so I'll probably post that tomorrow as well.

now to play some Incredipede!  Blink

On STEAM »
Hypnotron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 10:10:44 PM »

I like the tanky aliens.  How about some that have sea urchin spikes on their body with variants having either centipede legs, stubby fleshy rear caterpillar legs, tardigrade legs, etc
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 07:28:06 AM »

@Hypnotron: had to google tardigrade. Really cool stubby legs. Have to use them in some design.  Sea Urchin spined enemies coming later today I think :D

Like I promised in the last post, here's the Timelapse Video of me drawing the tanky aliens.

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »

Another week another big update! Let's get to it.

Backgrounds
I struggled with the backgrounds creating yet another iteration. This time simpler 2-tone look that will make it easier to add more detail and variety.

Enemy concepts (with videos)!
This was also a week to concept new enemies. We went for a big “tanky” enemy and a new flying enemy to replace the purple balloon one.

Click here for the video of these brutes being drawn! — >CLICK ME Smiley

Click here for the video of these flying pears being drawn! — >CLICK ME Smiley

Boring Stuff
Game making is not all drawing and making cool videos Tongue . We also tried out  Tiled for our level editing, tweaked collisions, updated Unity to 4.3 and all its 2D goodness among other things. Can’t wait to show you all some gameplay footage. Just wait until we get some proper animations. Maybe this week?

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 12:17:52 PM »

Backed Spine on kickstarter. Today I have been making some animations to go into the actual game. Feedback is more than welcomed.

Running looking forward

AHHHHHHHHHH!

Running looking backwards

I need to get the arm moving on this one...

I have some more but they are too crappy or look funky out of context (they just look crappy Tongue)

On STEAM »
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »

I don't know, but in the first animation his head looks like it's made of jelly or something, it jiggles too much, would be better if the bandages on his head would move too.

migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »

Yeah, I went overboard with the head squishing Tongue

Will add the detail of his bandana type thing also moving up and down.

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »

This week was slow on updates. Here's what we've been doing.

• Adding animation to characters
  • Doing collision stuff
  • Redoing tiles
  • Getting Tiled automapping to work

I've been redoing tiles to better fit the characters. I Liked the previous tile set and will  do something along that style in the future but for this game I need something less square.

What I wan't to improve:

The tile colors are a bit bright but I'll get to that later this week. I got animations to do for the enemies first.

Also it's missing decorative elements like plants in the foreground and stuff like that.

Moving pictures

Here's a couple animations of the character in-game

Running and shooting. Forward and back.

Rool out! A don't-touch-me manouver.

How do you like it so far? I'll post some more gifs tomorrow. 

On STEAM »
NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »

I think the "shoot behind" animation looks great. The normal "shoot forward" animation isn't working for me. I think the arm that's not holding the gun is moving too much.

The roll animation looks good but feels too fast for the actual distance and speed of the roll.
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 12:54:57 PM »

The rolling animation is cool, the shooting reminds me of Contra, some more foreground objects/lighting effects would be cool.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic