Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:24:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpirit Huntress [2D, FullHD Metroidvania]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Spirit Huntress [2D, FullHD Metroidvania]  (Read 13543 times)
LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »

I hate to keep this going...but as for the sexualization bit, in my personal opinion, the most important thing when it comes to this problem is how practical her look is in correlation to what she does as a character. Would anything about the character design go against its actions if it were a real person? Anytime you answer "yes" to that question, the character becomes more unbelievable.

I believe Hibari's criticism is almost entirely because of her cleavage.  As a flipping, running, flying ninja, having breasts that large is automatically a massive handicap. Women (athlete or not) grow breasts of all sizes, this is a fact of nature. But the idea that Hibari would bare her cleavage is something that people can immediately draw conclusions from. Lei and Sash are both females but nobody has brought them up, and this is why.

So ask, "Why would Hibari have her cleavage out?" Some practical responses could be:

a) This is a fantasy world where it's acceptable for it to be that way. This seems to be the go-to way to avoid this type of criticism, and I don't think it ever really works. Because if it's a fantasy world where most people wear clothing, and most people wear appropriate protection, it's a glowing red contradiction when one or two characters break this rule. And it's commonly females who do. When males wear heavy armor but females randomly bare their skin, your designs are at odds with your setting.

b) Hibari is not in any way hindered by it. This is immediately dismissed because as any woman would tell you, this is quite far from the truth...it's actually a pretty big deal. This also makes the idea that the character did it on purpose very unbelievable.  Her cleavage is now at odds with her character design.

c) Hibari doesn't mind if you see her cleavage. Does the character benefit from you seeing her cleavage? Maybe she likes it. Then again probably not, because she's described as cold and and mistrustful, and these types of people are rarely exhibitionists. So now her cleavage is at odds with her personality.

d) The artist doesn't really care, and just wants to show her cleavage. This is probably the last conclusion that can be drawn, because none of the other ones really connect any dots. Arguably this is the only point that really matters...but since players have to connect with the world and characters, it becomes an issue.

Again, I really hate to keep this going, i think this project looks damn awesome and I don't think it's too fair that it's becoming a topic about over sexualizaion. But like TautNerve said, I feel like it's something that's going to keep coming up, despite what you intended for Hibari's character as a kunochi. I just wanted to maybe add my two cents on why i think it's happening.

I don't want you to think what you posted has gone unnoticed though, the art and animation is really nice and looks great in motion. For the resolution of the art you have, i'm really surprised it feels so fluid in motion.

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »

This looks cool; the art and animation is great.  My only crit is that during all of those animations you posted her face remains totally impassive during some fairly strenuous exercises.  Perhaps that's intentional characterisation to show what an ice-cold badass she is, in which case fair enough, but if not I think you could add a lot of character with some simple changes of expression to show exertion/aggression/etc.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »

The animations are really nice, but some of them seem a little stiff. She doesn't seem to bend her knees at all in that walk-cycle.

I know I shouldn't judge the timing of the animations as the gif could be wrong but:
The sword-attacks in the last gif posted lacks some punch. I'm not the best animator to give you advice how to fix it, but having a slow anticipation, followed by a really fast action ending in a hold could do the trick.
The drawing of the sword is really nice too, perfect circular arc but it could pack some more punch too. Try to differentiate more between fast and slow (or totally static) movements.

Edit: Removed some comment about the above discussion. Sorry for participating in derailing the devlog..
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:59:50 PM by kruxus » Logged
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:56 AM »

is weird cause people don't know that hitokiri assassins from meiji era actually seduced their oponents to kill them.
 Well, hello there!

her idle could use some knee folding, but thats all. Don't care about bewbz, bewbz r great
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:56:41 AM by Nelphion » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »

you know how animals have various signals that they want to mate? white people using japanese words is exactly like that, except it signals that they want to fuck a cartoon
EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »

you know how animals have various signals that they want to mate? white people using japanese words is exactly like that, except it signals that they want to fuck a cartoon
oh i would totally fuck a cartoon like that irl  Kiss
wouldn't you?
also, does this invalidate my point?
alrighty roo Coffee
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:47:49 AM by Nelphion » Logged
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 02:20:31 AM »

I don't think the design it's over sexualized (though I understand the various points of view). To take things to the extreme, look at Mai Shiranui. Now, just add a legging to the character (if bare legs are over the top or add a bit of underclothing to the breast area and it will probably kill any comments by prudes out there.

I wonder what would those people say about X-Blades.

Yeah.
SlushGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 03:17:20 AM »

Seems cute=)

Ito
Level 0

Currently making "Spirit Huntress"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »

Hello guys!

A quick update to let you know that I opened a Steam Greenlight/Workshop Concept page.

It's not the actual Greenlight process, but a way to star a community around the game and get some feedback, which I think is important too.

I'm saving the real deal for when I have a decent trailer to show, what will be really soon.

In the meanwhile, if want to help the project to get some attention and start growing a fanbase, you can upvote, favourite and follow Spirit Huntress here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=327608297

Thanks for your help!

Twitter: @itoaragon
Tumblr: Spirit Huntress.
bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »

looooooooooool fucking seriously

Ito
Level 0

Currently making "Spirit Huntress"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »

Quick news roundup-

* Hibari's design has been improved (since it seems to be the only important thing ITT). Without going into further detail, I've made some slight changes in her anatomy and her outfit. The reasons: she looks better now. What other reasons would you want?

I'm currently editing all of the animations to match up this new design before comitting to anything else.

* Besides that, I started working on a new level, the Tarma River. As it happens in the Great Plains, this level will feature really long sections with content that you might not be able to reach on your first visit. Therefore, a need for some kind of conveyance arised, so you'll be able to ride a horse through these sections. I'll be implementing attack and jump mechanics to make these trips more fun.

* I'm also working in the Kickstarter trailer. I finished the music, and I'm currently cutting clips from some gameplay and cutscenes sections. Here's a preview of one of the cutscenes that will be featured:

Thanks for your time!

Twitter: @itoaragon
Tumblr: Spirit Huntress.
ofx360
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 05:30:57 PM »

ITT: "Cover up the cleavage, women are not supposed to look like that. Women can only show off their body when I feel it's appropriate. Angry"

The game looks good, so far. Animation is kinda stiff, but i like the art - very high res. Would love to see more on the mechanics of the game.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic