Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:19:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWhy Am I Dead At Sea
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Why Am I Dead At Sea  (Read 9031 times)
Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:38:56 AM »

Why Am I Dead At Sea

Twitter  |  Dev Blog

You are on a boat at sea.  Also, and more importantly, you are dead.  

To figure out why, you will need to inhabit the other residents of the ship and use them
to investigate what led to your untimely demise.  Each combination of characters
leads to a unique conversation based on the relationship those two characters have.  
Understand what makes your shipmates tick, and uncover the secrets that they hold.

Trailer!

Other media!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:39:17 PM by Peltast » Logged

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:29 AM »

Oh man, your pixelwork is really nice.
Also, EarthBound

Gentleman

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:07:14 AM »

SeaBound!  Blink

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:31:50 AM »

good ness
 Well, hello there!
Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »

I'm here because of Earthbound too. Subscribed.

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:52:58 AM »

Oh man, your pixelwork is really nice.
Also, EarthBound

Gentleman

Thanks, I really love the art behind The Curious Expedition, so that means a lot!  Smiley

SeaBound!   Blink
good ness
  Well, hello there!
I'm here because of Earthbound too. Subscribed.

What is this "Earthbound" game people keep talking about every time I bring up my game?   Durr...?

Haha yes the art is of course heavily influenced by the Mothers series.  I think, to a lesser extent, the tone of the game and its sense of humor are also influenced by Earthbound as well.  I'm always happy when people can immediately point out the link.

Also, I'm currently looking for people to help me test out the game in a closed beta.  If you're feeling particularly awesome, please fill out the following short and painless questionnaire to [email protected] .

At this point a lot of the work is writing/scripting, which is a bit hard to make look cool in updates.  I often do little graphical/control tune-ups as a way of giving myself a break though, so maybe those can help spice things up.  Undecided

zachstronaut
Level 0

Legend of Equip > Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »

I am quite fond of your demon cat.

ZeppelinCaptain
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:20:54 AM »

Wow, this concept sounds intriguing, can't wait to see how this turns out. Consider me subscribed!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »

I like the concept, but will the people remember when they were being possessed?  Will there be some sort of "memory hole" or amnesia?
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »

I like the concept, but will the people remember when they were being possessed?  Will there be some sort of "memory hole" or amnesia?

It could be that they remember everything and think what they did was of their own will. Humans actually do this very well (as tests with split-brain patients show).

Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 10:58:02 PM »

Actually, both.  There are two degrees of possession in the game: a weaker form in which you are influencing the character, but they still retain some autonomy and can't be made to do/say things that would never occur to them in the first place, and a stronger form in which you completely take over them.  In the former, they remember everything but attribute their actions to their own will (in some cases they might feel like they weren't acting themselves, but have no other explanation).  In the latter, they remember nothing that happens while they are fully possessed.

This serves to separate the narrative voice of the characters and the ghost, allowing for a lot more possibilities with dialogue and character interactions.

I was hoping to have a nice update with visuals and everything by now, but instead I decided to get an ear-infection so working on the game is enough of a challenge for me right now.      Hand PencilTired

Uykered
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 11:33:18 PM »

It very looks cool. I think the low opacity of the spirit looks a bit inconsistent with the rest of the style though.  
Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 05:42:19 AM »

It very looks cool. I think the low opacity of the spirit looks a bit inconsistent with the rest of the style though.  

Hmm, it does mess with the "purity" of the pixel art admittedly, but I personally find the ability to pass through other characters and see through the spirit to be worth that cost.  I'll make it opaque and compare, but I will probably end up keeping it transparent.

I took a detour from writing dialogue to make a really rough intro area that precedes the first real environment, as a way of giving the player a small space to familiarize themselves with the fundamental controls before jumping straight into the game's first conversation.  The idea is that it's the path between death/life.  I've used an all-black tileset with a simplistic drawing slapped on top to give it a more distinct and non-grid appearance, although there is still grid-based collision-detection along the path.

Like I said, it's rough!  I would like to add some more visual effects to it, but that can wait for now as I really want to get back to adding more dialogue.

And just because, he's a a screencap of some newish dialogue in effect.

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »

This is going to be good. Really like the concept of the game.

On STEAM ยป
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 09:46:55 AM »

Looks great! Is there any plan for any variation in gameplay... like puzzles or action elements? Right now it just looks like jumping around bodies to get through dialogue trees. Is that the extent of the game? Not that there is anything wrong with that. It could still be quite fun with good dialogue and an interesting story.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »

Blink watching <3
Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 08:18:26 PM »

This is going to be good. Really like the concept of the game.

Thanks, I'm glad you think so!  It kind of all hinges on the concept.   Smiley

Looks great! Is there any plan for any variation in gameplay... like puzzles or action elements? Right now it just looks like jumping around bodies to get through dialogue trees. Is that the extent of the game? Not that there is anything wrong with that. It could still be quite fun with good dialogue and an interesting story.

There is a small amount of more conventional adventure-game puzzling, but most of the game really does revolve around body-hopping and conversation.  It is definitely demanding on the player's patience and desire to read, I think, but I'm confident in the story and characters I have to carry the experience.  I also think poorly implemented/designed action mechanics would just be dead-weight, and I don't think I'm strong on that front right now.

Very good question!

Peltast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 02:29:49 AM »

I'm slightly overdue on an update.  About...three months.

Ooops.

So the first three chapters of five have been pretty much completed!  Woo!  That means a metric buttload of dialogue and scripted cutscenes and puzzles!

I don't think I've mentioned it before in this thread, but before you can hop into someone's mind, you have to understand it a little bit.  Basically, you have to "unlock" them for possession.  At the point that I've developed up to, seven out of nine characters can be possessed and have dialogue.  Up to this point, a lot of the progression of the game has had to do with figuring out how to unlock a character, who you need to possess in order to do something.  Once all characters are open for possession, the game will become more non-linear and the means of progressing will be less clear to the player.

Screenshots for funzies:

A cutscene that happens near the early-middle of the game

Some ambient dialogue at the middle of the game

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 03:10:37 AM »

Awesome! that pixel art is super nice :D

TimBeek
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 03:20:46 AM »