Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:30:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStarDiver - Scifi Space Romp[PC,Mac,Linux, Consoles]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: StarDiver - Scifi Space Romp[PC,Mac,Linux, Consoles]  (Read 31230 times)
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

I've spent the day messing w space stations and while the sprite lighting system worked well for ships, especially when tilting ships banking, stations were looking/feeling a bit flat.  Not quite peper-mario flat, but certainly not what I wanted. I spent a lot of time thinking about what I could do... options include ditching stations, making them in 3d (worry of style shift and costs), or..... stacking layers of the station in the z which I tried first. Between getting some parrallax scrolling effect, and the heightmap/lighting system, I think I like it. Example -- note not all stations will have designs that clone/stack and we will have design sections for overlay if we are going w this method. See what you think. note the end of the clip is toying w z axis tilting. I could see concentric circle rotation for some station parts (think penny wobble on table).

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 08, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »

I was procrastinating on getting to the dialogue system UI (dreading UI work heh) so I added circular storms for procedural gas giants:

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 08, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »

I sure procrastinate on UI stuff, but I finally started making the dialogue ui for stardiver. Note the animation is placeholder (stiff and repetitive test animation. idle/chat/irritated/ec are planned) and the ui still needs a little tweaking, but its coming along:

gfycat for this one (110mb gif)

http://gfycat.com/UnequaledRemarkableIbex

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 09, 2014, 01:38:18 AM »

I'd avoid the font resizing. Other than that it looks great!
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 09, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »

I'd avoid the font resizing. Other than that it looks great!

I do need to sort that out, I wasn't a fan either. It is something that the ui control we are using does for you. We may need to have a max length and just split into two dialogues when it's longer.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: November 09, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »

Started work on the planet lander / rover. Just the drop sequence so far.

UI isn't in yet, but there will be an altitude indication on the side and you use thrusters to slow decent. Depending on planet gravity it will be easy/hard to have a soft landing. For those who are not sure where I'm going with this,

had my favorite planet roving. It will be similar... but a mix of it and some other ideas I'm kicking around.

Opinions?

(note: camera shake didn't gif well

)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:00:02 PM by friken » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2014, 12:11:35 AM »

Looks nice! Your link was broken though:

If you want some honest to goodness science inspiration, here are two movies based on the data from the Huygens Probe's descent on Titan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmcoL3OqPk
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2014, 08:39:21 PM »

Looks nice! Your link was broken though:

If you want some honest to goodness science inspiration, here are two movies based on the data from the Huygens Probe's descent on Titan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbmcoL3OqPk

I fixed the link thx.

I love ESA / nasa videos Smiley inspiration indeed!

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2014, 09:29:32 PM »

Long day getting planet landing more polished. I'm pretty happy with how it is feeling w the drop ship movement, gravity, thrust, atmosphere, etc. Too many tweaks to list. I forgot to hookup the screen shaking when going fast enough through atmosphere for the heatfx. I had it disable for debugging something. oh well, not going to reshoot the vid.. it's late Smiley

Orbit to surface:

Surface to orbit:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2014, 02:06:46 AM »

Aw yeah!
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 14, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »

In an effort to make what looks good, look better, I worked out our planet shaders yesterday. We now have atmospheric scattering and a much better edge glow than before. I wasn't using it before because I couldn't sort out how to get color, specular color, and shininess added to the shader which was really needed for the look/feel we were after. I finally figured it out and pretty happy w the results. Also, we are playing around with some depth of field fx that I'm digging.

new / old shader:

Depth of field and new shaders: Opinions?

youtube

youtube

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 14, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »

DOF looks good to me!

Can I suggest something else to try, just as a point of comparison? Right now the camera moves to zoom in. Have you also tried changing it's FOV? In other words, proper zooming like a tele-lens without the camera moving? It may be less jarring, but it could also be more boring.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: November 14, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »

DOF looks good to me!

Can I suggest something else to try, just as a point of comparison? Right now the camera moves to zoom in. Have you also tried changing it's FOV? In other words, proper zooming like a tele-lens without the camera moving? It may be less jarring, but it could also be more boring.

I haven't tried FOV instead of camera moving. will try it

pikkukatti
Level 1

Team Lead @AncestoryGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 14, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »

Yes vote for the FOV from me as well and I think the new planet shader is even better even though the one before was really good as well.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »

Yes vote for the FOV from me as well and I think the new planet shader is even better even though the one before was really good as well.

I'm trying the fov now. It is VERY dramatic for planet orbital battles. I'll post something in a while after I get some time tweaking it (I think it's a bit over the top atm).

I'll be using both planet shading types in the game. Not all worlds will have atmospheres. Here is an example of w and w/o the new shader. Both very usable -- just nice to have the ability to really tell visually if a planet has an atmosphere or not.

A litting info on what the new shader is doing...

In a practical,game terms, It enhances the edge of a planet to look like an atmosphere. There are two components that are useful in a space game. First is a shader that adds a gradient color to the lit edge of the planet. The other is a outer gradient/glow beyond the edge of the planet. Here is a pic with the effect turned way up:

same planet it turned off:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 11:59:38 AM by friken » Logged

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: November 14, 2014, 11:55:44 AM »

Ok.... hmmm I think I like it, but maybe too dramatic?

FOV Zoom per request:

pikkukatti
Level 1

Team Lead @AncestoryGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: November 14, 2014, 12:52:15 PM »

Hah, I actually meant the DOF (I should probably get some rest soon)...but that FOV change could be used for some situations even though it might be a bit too dramatic for constant use.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 14, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »

Wow it's more drastic rather than less, didn't expect that! Shrug

Well, could be worse, could be a dolly zoom Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2014, 04:05:20 PM »

Yeah..... I'll pass on a dollyzoom Smiley

--
BlpBlp gets animation. Now to get the new dialogue text from the writer, some voice-over work and per-race music done.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »

Blpblp video w/ some of the dialogue txt from our writer:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic