Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 04:25:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStarDiver - Scifi Space Romp[PC,Mac,Linux, Consoles]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: StarDiver - Scifi Space Romp[PC,Mac,Linux, Consoles]  (Read 31231 times)
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »

Just wanted to pop by and say that I'm grateful to see some non-humanoids, sci-fi worlds needs more of that.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2014, 05:00:27 AM »

Very nice! Yes, using normal maps on sprites is quite an exciting new use of an old trick.

I can also see how it would require some polish - I can see the shadow contrast change on the ship as you turn it. makes it look a bit like you are crossfading between two sprites instead of a "proper fake" shadow. I think the reason is that the levels of your second normal map need to be "normalised" to match the first
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »

Just wanted to pop by and say that I'm grateful to see some non-humanoids, sci-fi worlds needs more of that.

Thanks! I agree, some of my favorite are the oddball aliens. I imagine when we do discover alien life it will be even stranger than our wildest expectations.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »

Very nice! Yes, using normal maps on sprites is quite an exciting new use of an old trick.

I can also see how it would require some polish - I can see the shadow contrast change on the ship as you turn it. makes it look a bit like you are crossfading between two sprites instead of a "proper fake" shadow. I think the reason is that the levels of your second normal map need to be "normalised" to match the first

yep, you are correct.. our lighting was quite a bit off. It will take a couple attempts to get it right and learn so it is faster to make for the next ones.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »

2nd ship, our artist did a much better job with the lighting than I was able to do on first ship:

Using our spiffy new custom sprite shader, it looks quite nice rotating ingame:

The gif compression makes the lighting look odd in some frames, the real video if you want higher quality sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Loyq_vaXx-0&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:48:24 PM by friken » Logged

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2014, 09:14:12 PM »

new ships in context of the race they belong to:

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »

woah, that normal mapping is awesome, It adds a lot of depth. Is the shader hard to implement for animated sprites??
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »

Very nice man, tell you artist he has at least one fan of his work out there :D
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2014, 05:32:53 AM »

woah, that normal mapping is awesome, It adds a lot of depth. Is the shader hard to implement for animated sprites??

Thanks. I wrote a bit about implementation here:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/stardiver/news/stardiver-2d-sprite-lighting-for-spaceships

Jeff Skyrunner
Level 0

Never, but question engineer's judgement

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »

Wow!

Haven't tried anything about the game yet, but the concept are really cool! It has been a while I haven't seen a sci-fi game so intriguing... at least on paper! Smiley

Well done and keep us posted Smiley

I'm not a insane, my mother had me tested

I'm an engineer. To save time, just assume I'm never wrong
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2014, 12:29:27 PM »

Several more tweaks to our 2D ship lighting system. I'm thrilled w/ how 3d we were able to get the sprites to feel w/ spritlamp-like lighting and displacement-mapping:

Tilt:

Rotate:

gif compression is a bit much to look at lighting. youtube links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSivgCV2ZkA&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjEV8p5MFE&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:18:06 PM by friken » Logged

DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »

Impressive.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2014, 11:25:25 AM »

That tilt effect is really impressive. I still feel like I can see the transition during rotation though - but that might just be me.
Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »

Not seen this before. Looks so good. Following.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »

That tilt effect is really impressive. I still feel like I can see the transition during rotation though - but that might just be me.

I'm curios what you mean by transition? Gif effect maybe? Whatever you see can you also see it in the video here?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2014, 03:06:12 AM »

Maybe the simplest way to put it is that it looks like I'm looking at two subtly different depth models, between which we alternate with a crossfade as we rotate from 0 to 90 to 180 to 240 to 0 degrees again.

It's most notable on the shadows of the upper-left section of the ship - they suddenly vanish about 90 degrees in. Real shadows would project outwards from the sun, so they should actually shrink gradually as the ship rotates from 0 to 90 degrees, not suddenly disappear.

I'm not sure though, maybe it's an inherent limitation of normal mapping.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »

It's most notable on the shadows of the upper-left section of the ship - they suddenly vanish about 90 degrees in.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. I've tweaked it a bunch more to get what I think is the best we can w/ the spritelamp-ish + displacement mapping. I'll post some more gifs once I get a couple ships full into game w/ attacks and AI.

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »

Hi guys. We have been inching our way along, making progress...slow progress but progress Smiley

This last week we finished ship designs for a handful more races.

Krex:

Dravlac:

Mooshee:

Moknon:

We have also completed our transition from 3d ships to 2d w/ spritelamp light lighting + displacement mapping. I'm very pleased with the results. Once I get a couple of these 2d ships fully moved into the game w/ attacks and AI, I'll post a gif or two or combat.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »

EDIT: Looks great!

Just a thought (although it's probably too late now), but wouldn't it be easier to work with a hand-drawn height map than bumpmap? That's the other technique to get the same effect. You can even convert between the two, if you want to keep the normal map you already use for you shaders.
friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »

EDIT: Looks great!

Just a thought (although it's probably too late now), but wouldn't it be easier to work with a hand-drawn height map than bumpmap? That's the other technique to get the same effect. You can even convert between the two, if you want to keep the normal map you already use for you shaders.

Thx. We use both a normal and height. The normal gives us the 2d spritelamp like lighting and displacement/height gives us ability to tilt in depth axis.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic