Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:11:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBurglar
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Burglar  (Read 16651 times)
Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:52:03 AM »

Burglar is a game about home invasion robberies which focuses on stealth, platforming, and getting out of trouble quickly when things go wrong.

Features
  • Single Player focused gameplay
  • Procedurally Generated Homes and Rooms
  • Five Unlockable Characters with personal talents
  • Many different Resident and Furniture styles and layouts
  • Different endings depending on how well you do

The Characters

The game will begin with only Stealer unlocked as a "vanilla" thief to get acquainted with. As you perform certain tasks in the game, you'll be able to unlock more specialized characters who excel in one area while sacrificing ability in another. What do those little charts under the characters mean? It's a secret for now! Wink

The Environment

As much as possible, we'd like the world to feel alive and dynamic. As you sneak through houses, things will be happening live in other rooms which may surprise you or have an effect on the night's work you'll be performing. Homes will be fraught with hazards for clumsy burglars, as well as potentially hostile residents and pets. We plan to procedurally generate the home layouts and loot locations so that each play-though is unique!

Residents

The people living in these homes will be a primary obstacle for the clever thief and a subject of study. Residents will have individual personalities which affect how likely they are to hear you, become hostile, how quickly they call the police, etc; meaning that it will benefit the burglar to get to know how these people tick.

Thanks for viewing our Devlog and any feedback or suggestions you'd like to give are very welcome as we work on this project! Gentleman

Development Quick List

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:42:46 PM by Taber » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:55:34 AM »

Might be my computer, but I can't see the images. Premise sounds really cool (I'm a stealth junkie). Any videos or GIFs yet?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »

Will it be 2d or 3d? How detailed will the characters/environment be? I don't have seen this type of game before, but good luck getting it done.

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »

Sorry about that guys, I wasn't aware dropbox didn't allow hotlinking. Shrug Now all of the images should be visible. Gameplay video coming soon!

zachstronaut
Level 0

Legend of Equip > Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:58:03 PM »

Looking cool.  I'm excited about the premise and look forward to more gameplay details.  Noir

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »

I like thief games. (if you couldn't tell)

Good luck on this! Smiley

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »

Oh man so do I! I'll definitely follow your progress as well, it looks like such a cool looking game!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »

I like thief games. (if you couldn't tell)

Good luck on this! Smiley
Nice, two sneaking, thief games to look forward to!

Ok, back to Burglar: so will the game progress from small houses to locations like mansions, guarded compounds, banks?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »

Yes indeed it will. I have a sort of meta-story mapped out for it, but until I have visuals and a gameplay demo to show, I'm going to keep it hushed up. It'll be more fun to talk about when I can point to visuals anyway!  Wink

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »

Yes indeed it will. I have a sort of meta-story mapped out for it, but until I have visuals and a gameplay demo to show, I'm going to keep it hushed up. It'll be more fun to talk about when I can point to visuals anyway!  Wink
Awesome, and as someone who enjoys pixel art, your game looks great. Love your art style

antoniodamala
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »

Looks cool, subscribed.
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 04:56:41 PM »

Looks great. Following.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 08:23:31 PM »

Color me intrigued.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »

Can't wait to see these pixel guys animated. Subscribed. Smiley

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 12:22:01 AM »

Be interesting to see some gameplay
NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »

Awww yeah! This looks great, looking forward to seeing some gameplay.
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 05:33:39 AM »

Ohhhh, this looks excellent! /following

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »

So how open-ended will the gameplay be? The framework seems so open to so many possibilities. I'm imagining stuff like ascending to the roof to sneak in through vents or dropping in through a skylight Mission-Impossible style or hacking in to disable security.

Not sure if it'll be in the game, but it's something I always wanted to see in these kinds of game: can you observe a location pre-heist, set up plans beforehand? Like let's say you have to break into a bank, would you be able to visit the bank a day in advance to maybe swipe a key card or learn the layout before the heist or perhaps bribe a guard with money earned from a previous job?

I'm probably thinking way too big for the scope of your project. Excited to see gameplay

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 04:47:25 PM »

Haha Christian you're reading my mind! Or my design doc... Who, Me? Anyway YES, you will have many options on how to handle your burglary. The primary idea is that you have one month to rob a street of 5 houses which persist. Each night you may lurk, enter, or spy as much or as little as you'd like in order to prepare for your actual robbery. Information-wise there are a few things worth knowing BEFORE simply breaking in:
  • What are the residents' habits, alertness and schedules?
  • Are there alarm systems, locked doors, keys laying around, etc
  • What is the house layout and where are the valuable items?

We also plan to have a "heat" rating which measures local response to your actions. For instance, stealing a big value item or a lot of items all at once raises a lot of heat and might cause the residents to start locking doors or installing alarm systems. By comparison a small constant trickle of crime will keep responses lower and easier to manage.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »

Tears of Joy

Finally. I can't wait to see this game progress. Will you be planning a Kickstarter or anything like that? (Like I need yet another game to back)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic