Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:22:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBurglar
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Burglar  (Read 16743 times)
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »

I'm curious as to the gameplay mechanics... Seeing the video makes me wonder what sort of pace you're going for. The game feels very heavily action based. What with the turbo sprinting and even the slow crawling movement is quite fast. What are your plans for when the burglar gets spotted? Would he be chased throughout the level or what?

I'm just wondering why anyone would want to walk in the foreground if hiding in the background provides better cover and also seems to allow you to move equally fast.

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »

Well, sound and object interaction will play a major role but the real reason is a secret for now until we have more mechanics to showcase. Just know that there will be strong reasons to primarily stay in front of things and to only sidle on the wall when you want to hide.

When the burglar is spotted a few different things can happen, but the pacing will definitely increase and being chased (and chasing people) will definitely happen some of the time.

Also, you're right about the speed, right now it's WAY too fast for proper sneaking, but we need to have a complete environment before dialing it in. The sidle and crawl should slow you fairly significantly and we will also make it much more hazardous to run in a house via passive obstacles.

marcelfnfnllvr
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2013, 01:44:50 AM »

the video looks pretty cool, for an prev-alpha-video. cant wait to see more!
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2013, 03:03:05 AM »

Great gameplay video. Loving the art style, very textured and crunchy. Can't wait to see what sort of characters we can dodge behind the furniture.

Please oh please make a sleepwalker and/or a very tall person that you can crawl under his legs in the dark Tongue

Or don't do it. I'm sure you have plenty of cool ideas yourselves.

On STEAM »
Woober
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 03:36:02 AM »

This game looks pretty cool, great artstyle! Really looking forward to see the further progress, and to play the game Smiley

Best regards,
Gøran "Woober" Myrland
Lexonite
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »

looking pretty solid so far, nice work!

flankstaek
Level 0

Shit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 12:28:30 PM »

The game looks awesome so far, the mechanics leave a lot of possibilities for some really fun gameplay to come in the future.

The movement looks amazingly crisp for such an early build, can't wait to see the pacing tweaked.
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:42 PM »

I like it. SUBBED

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2013, 09:54:24 AM »

Here's a little preview of a game over screen I did yesterday. The image on the left would have small ambient animations in it and the list on the right would scroll to show the leader board for prison sentences.

Because of the way the game can be won or lost, we decided we would have different leader boards for different end games: one for winning, one for dying, and one for being arrested. I hope that besides giving completionists several ways to be competitive, this will also make it sting less if you lose the game spectacularly.

The "winning" leader-board will be based off of money score + modifiers for performance, the "jail" leader-board is based off how high your crime heat rating got before arrest, and the death leader-board would be based off how many nights you survived.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 03:22:34 AM »

Whoa. I already see prisoners doing idle stuff... And that leaderboard... oh my, that's great!

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »

Great stuff! If you don't know the game already, you should definetly have a look at "The Clue!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clue!
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/11453/Clue%21%2C+The.html
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/401/Clou+2+-+The+Sting%21%2C+The.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 03:13:17 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »

Woah. You got my interest with that art style, and you had me at "Procedurally Generated Homes and Rooms". There aren't enough heist games!

Although if you're going with a leaderboard - will those players play the same procedurally generated level? Some of these generated homes could have advantages over the others score-wise, can't they?

Anyway: Following! Can't wait to see more of this.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2013, 02:49:36 PM »

Looks very promising!
If you need some non-generic music written for your game, you can check out my tunes and message me if you're interested in working together.
All the best!

http://leoj.bandcamp.com/album/salvajes-the-wild-west
http://leoj.bandcamp.com/track/sunset-on-planet-mysteria

sakuyo
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 02:51:57 PM »

This sounds really awesome and the art is absolutely gorgeous.
oleomingus
Level 1

Oleomingus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 03:12:51 AM »

wow !  the movement variety (even in this early version) looks really great ! and the art is superb.

Hey guys, here's a super early gameplay video showing basic movement mechanics and introducing Bryson and myself. Enjoy!

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »

Thanks guys for all of the feedback and interest! We're still hammering out the core structure for the movement system but we're almost done! When we are we'll do another video with the character moving around in a more interesting environment and demonstrating what he can do.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2014, 06:33:09 AM »

Whoa this looks fantastic! Mind if I ask what are you using to develop it?

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Well, hello there!

I just wanted to give a quick update since it's been a while. Our programmer Bryson has been hard at work rewriting our physics and controllers in preparation for building and filling out our rooms and houses! After smoothing out the few bugs left he'll be ready to tackle the next big challenge, assembling houses with procedural logic!

We've added a new team member to help me out with art duties. Jannica has been filling in many of the neglected rooms with fancy wallpaper, furniture, and delicious lootables! We've almost got an entire house's worth of objects to work with now, which will signal our shift towards making art for the outside of the homes.

We're rapidly approaching a good place to make another video showcasing all of our progress so stay tuned for that and again thanks for all of your feedback and support! Toast Left Kiss Toast Right

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2014, 02:09:37 PM »

Any updates?  Sad

Taber
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »

We're pushing on slowly but steadily. Our level building system is almost ready to try and we plan to make some more substantial progress beginning in June. Stay tuned!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic