Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:36:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogssooth - minimal point'n'touch
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: sooth - minimal point'n'touch  (Read 15360 times)
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 07:58:22 PM »

@Mauricio: they were scrapped ^^ It is not so mystical to visit 3 identical ancient towers, and doesn't make much sense to reactivate only one of them if there are 2 others in the background. And incidentally, it reduces the workload for that specific area by 3!

For the wall near the water, I had few visuals of shores in the area that I wanted to kept, and already have a dam somewhere else... Empty places may already be slightly redundant by themselves without being repeated, so I may as well try to keep them unique!

I'm now looking into animations keyframe references to copy inspire from and am looking closely into Preston Blair's work and rewatch some animation classics... it's all great fun!

I am also in discussion with some talented people about music and may introduce them quite soon, thanks for following!

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
AullenVerch
Level 0

The univertse is vast!!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »

All these minimal screenshots invoke a lot of imagination for me..
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 01:20:00 AM »

@AullenVerch That's great to hear, that makes much less to draw ^^

Now that the new version of spriter is out, I don't have much excuses left to push back animation job... so I cut my little burd in pieces:

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »

I personnaly prefer to use Spine rather than Spriter. It is a bit more expensive ($60), but far more powerful.

One day, I will live in theory, because in theory, everything is possible!
Devlogs: Wind Fortress (RPG) and Sandbox Adventure (Visual Novels)
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »

@DrSchizo I just checked the Spline videos, the mesh deformation features look great!

I use Spriter because it's well compatible with Construct 2, they just finished a stable version of the plugin that is close to final... They are also very helpful and reactive in forums, and I need a lot of support ^^
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 07:23:47 PM by Sved » Logged

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »

Looks lush!

I really liked the CRAWL tutorial for one of their walk animations http://www.powerhoof.com/walk-anim/ - never animated in my life, but it looks rapid!

EDIT: Reminds me of a fooooolish samurai warrior wielding a magic swooord...

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 11:35:48 PM »

I didn't get what you meant with the samurai... so I looked it up. I didn't know Samurai Jack at all and that's a nice find! Great animation there, dynamic angles, choppy cuts... thanks for pointing this out!

I quite liked that part:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:42:27 PM by Sved » Logged

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 12:08:34 AM »

A particularly good scene! I adore the art-direction and juxtaposition of classical styles and themes with the modern environment (every bad-guy apart from Aku is a robot, they kept that going for all 50 episodes!)

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 12:39:22 AM »

TEAM!

Exciting news! What was initially a hobby on rainy sundays is now taking a life of its own! Thanks to all the people who proposed their services, skills and kind words... I now have two talented people contributing to this project!

Wounds, best known for his amazing work on Kairo, will be creating the soundtrack and lead the sound direction of the game! He is a very dedicated person with great insights in storytelling and contributed a lot to shape my random bits of story into something meaningful.

His albums can be found and bought here: http://wounds.bandcamp.com/
And the first track of the game (WIP): https://soundcloud.com/wounds-sound-design/in-sooth-looking-at-the-waves

C-7 (Adamprack) is a well-rounded C2 coder/composer/designer who will design an interactive audio system to get organic tracks that change with the environment. He will also create the sound effects and give a greatly needed hand on the development of the game engine in Construct 2!

His works can be found here: http://www.adamcreations.com/
And you can try some interactive music loops yourself:
http://www.adamcreations.com/sewer/
http://www.adamcreations.com/minecart3

and this one in environment:
http://www.adamcreations.com/layered-music/

Now we're talking! I will edit the first post of this devlog righ after this as we now have a team section!

And some avatars, if you feel like accessorizing your forum posts with a red bird:

More characters coming soon!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 08:12:11 AM by Sved » Logged

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »

Really nice. I love Wounds music and C7 layered interactive music demo!

Jodediah
Level 0

New here!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »

Hey there!
I just now decided it would be polite to come check out your game project seeing as you checked out mine. I really, really, really like the concept. I have an affinity for lost machines, specifically manmade things that have since lost their purpose. Abandoned snail shells and broken or lost keys are among the things I hold as sacred. Additionally, the art style you have going here is super rad, and I'm digging the character designs. Congrats on the recent team formation! Well, hello there!

I dunno if you've checked back on my project recently, but I took your advice and added a whole bunch of concept arty stuff! :D Progress is exciting.

bitserum
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »

Really interesting so far (and a useful log for me as I'm looking around for as much animation tuts/info as possible).
Love the character design and overall art direction, seems melancholic and introspective (even without reading your description of it) and frankly that draws me in instantly.

Looking forward to see more.
Gavan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »

Digging this up.

I've compiled a mini-OST from the tracks done before development stopped.

https://nicholasgavan.bandcamp.com/album/sooth

Hope you guys like it.

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2014, 06:03:38 PM »

Really nice soundtracks.

I'm really sad this project has been canceled. It was really promissing. Is there any particular reason?

Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 06:48:58 PM »

Oops, sorry. Yes, the game is on hold for now, rather permanently but hopefully not forever.

I basically hit a major skill wall when creating the engine (when you realize non-programming game creation softwares are still programming in disguise), then tried to get someone to do that part for me. Problem is: real life, including job, second job, sometimes third job, baby and other family stuff got in the way of even following up and feeding info and data to whoever was up for it.

Second issue was that the little I managed to put together was not fun. The mood is there, the art is there, the music is there, but there is just not enough to grab your attention to continue. I need to either add puzzles with environment or pick up objects, storytelling tricks, dialogue trees or other movement mechanics to fill the gap between that new screen and next new screen. So they need to be planned, and to plan things I need some time span I can dedicate to it. Which I don't have now, see above.

Third and last point, was having people working on the project with me when delays on my end kept add up. That was way too many talented people wasting time on the time I couldn't spend. If me alone, I can sustain playing 20 minutes once a week with an animation and finish them in 5 years time, but cannot expect others to do the same and not tire.

So i rather close it for now and let everyone move on, until I hit the need/opportunity to let everything go and just do this full time until it completes.

For the time being, listen to Gavan's music, close your eyes, and imagine what Sooth could have been ^^
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:02:28 PM by Sved » Logged

Gavan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2014, 07:41:14 AM »

Lack of time on behalf of Sved I guess. That's indie for ya'. Still sad though. Thanks for the kind words!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:55:42 PM by Gavan » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic