Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:49:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSticks and Stones
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sticks and Stones  (Read 3029 times)
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2008, 03:40:06 PM »

Edit: Hey, here's a slightly different version:

link

You can barf words on people and stuff.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:35:47 PM by Kneecaps » Logged
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

People around these parts is obsessed with new people introducing themselves, so we know they aren't doing a serve.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Will try your game though shortly, though Smiley

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 04:01:53 PM »

The main character is pretty hilarious looking, especially if you aim left and his eyes are around his shoulders :D Not much to say gameplay wise, which, y'know, typical of art games.
Really, your description of the game captures everything there is to say about it, I think.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 04:09:51 PM »

Your game lacks any sense of balance, your message is lost with your game play mechanics, its easier to kill people with staccato shots then drawn out attacks. It's not hard to get bored with quick as there is no escalation in game play.

The "Whoops! I made an art game, whoops!" Isn't fooling anyone.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »

Your game lacks any sense of balance, your message is lost with your game play mechanics, its easier to kill people with staccato shots then drawn out attacks. It's not hard to get bored with quick as there is no escalation in game play.

Okay, want me to change the balance of the game so that it's more "gamey", including the option to input your own text and bonus words that the player gets to find on their own?

Also, the gameplay was supposed to decline at the end intentionally.  But if you think it's worth my time to make it more gamey instead of keep up with a new game every week, I'll re-vamp the gameplay aspects, including making the game progressively more difficult and making the longer shots more balanced.  I would also add the things mentioned in the previous paragraph.

//Yes, I know that those changes shouldn't take long, but I'm lazy and I only work on games in my Media Arts class.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »

I think you should start a new gameplay concept and see if you can bring it to an interesting fruition. I think this game won't necessarily bring more joy. If you want to continue on the art game track, you need to refine your message more. You should have a "failing" condition, e.g. have a screen where one of the characters that made it is hugging the player character, then have a "success" screen where he is alone, also, if you have it so that the screen desaturates and the edges become blacker. I think this would drive home what I think your message was.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 05:34:30 PM »

I think you should start a new gameplay concept and see if you can bring it to an interesting fruition. I think this game won't necessarily bring more joy. If you want to continue on the art game track, you need to refine your message more. You should have a "failing" condition, e.g. have a screen where one of the characters that made it is hugging the player character, then have a "success" screen where he is alone, also, if you have it so that the screen desaturates and the edges become blacker. I think this would drive home what I think your message was.

Yeah, I definitely should have done more with that.  Actually, come to think of it, the main reason I disliked Gravitation was because there was no difference between the ending screens of playing with the girl and not playing with her.

Also, I'm planning on focusing on game games in the future.  Because people play games to set things on fire, not to understand the underlying meaning behind said things.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »

But, the allegory of life that Gravitation is means that you get the same ending, death, but yeah, there is a difference, if you don't play with the boy he disappears, but you still need to make the trip to the stars and push blocks. REGARDLESS, if you make an art game you need to realize that every part of it will be scrutinized, and have meaning extracted from.

But yeah, fun games are easier.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:35:25 PM by TeamQuiggan » Logged

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:50:56 PM »

if you make an art game you need to realize that every part of it will be scrutinized

Unless you're showing it to MICA.

:0

They have silly college representatives.
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »

i agree with all the criticism so far. they game feels caught inbetween a profound art game with a message and a cheap flash game trying to win hits and clicks.

people have already been giving you some good criticism, so i think i'll just let you know that, even if for only 10 seconds, i was touched by the game. its a simple concept, but it very clearly illustrates how we push love away with our own pain or anger. i like how you super imposed the psychological mechanic with the familiar game mechanic, because i instinctively have this 'shoot' reflex in the same way that we can push people away with out meaning to, but once i began to realize what i was doing i stopped shoot and then i lost, but i won. that was a nice switch. and i really like how the title relates to the game.

there are a lot of ways you could improve your game, but it still moved me.

the suggestion i will give is to make the game more personal. oh and make the 'hit' sounds subtler

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 07:49:15 PM »

Since you mention 'holding the mouse button down to power up' (or something to that effect), that's what I was doing, but then the text just drops straight down and out of the screen, so I didn't figure the mechanic out until I thought about not holding the button down. I suggest simply taking that feature out, it's noise.

But anyway, for a game you made in a week, this is a step in the right direction. Don't waste more time refining this, unless you feel a particular love for the concept; rather, I suggest you keep making more.

What's with the venom?

Also, I'm planning on focusing on game games in the future.  Because people play games to set things on fire, not to understand the underlying meaning behind said things.

Jeez. Let's try changing that notion instead of going with the tide, if you don't feel like that's all there is to it, OK? I certainly don't.

Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 09:17:32 PM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I value these comments much more than anything that would be posted on dA. Roll Eyes

I think that this week I'll crank out a new game first and fix this game up with any remaining time, because it's a concept that I rather liked, regardless of other's opinions.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 11:06:20 PM »

What's with the venom?
Bad day, hahhahahahha.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
DragonSix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 04:25:40 AM »

Also, the gameplay was supposed to decline at the end intentionally.
I actually noticed that, and found it fitting with the message. I would have made the game not finish, but instead with no more "foes" coming at all, making you really alone.

While quite obvious, the message wasn't less touching.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »

Whee!  After working on this for 4 days, I realized that I changed nothing that was discussed in this thread!  YEAAAAAAAHH

At least it's in AS3 now.  ._.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic