Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:34:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe North - my old game, needing perspective
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The North - my old game, needing perspective  (Read 549 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:33:30 PM »

After finishing The Scorpion Box I'm now in process of thinking about my next project. I have handful of potential ideas which I'd like to explore. One of them is "The North", a game me and my friend made back in 2007.

North is a light strategy/card/puzzle/whatever game where player has a deck of cards which is used to control game area. The goal of the game is to use all of card in the deck, get as high score as possible and keep the human tribe alive. Deck kind of symbolizes the winter which the tribe has to survive.

Twist is that each and every card has to be used and some of them create beasts and monsters. They attack and kill humans or eat their prey. However, slaying them awards player points. The conflict is to find out how to use all cards. Player can also build their own decks.

I'm thinking if I should redesign this concept and expand upon it. Therefore I ask you to play this and give critique and ideas about its design. You can also comment on the concept. I'm already aware of the lack of tutorial.

Here is link to gamefile:
DOWNLOAD

Screenshots:

Tl;dr
This is old game of mine. I'm thinking to revisit it. Please play it and share your thoughts. Consider it as a concept prototype or "seed idea".

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »

Played it for an hour or so and really loved it even though I don't really like card games. Tongue Is there anyway to fight against goblin? and those little monsters that are on top of the artic hills? It would be good if there was some kind of defense mechanism against them. Like once you build advance weaponry, you can fight against goblins or something like that...
The highest score I could make was somewhere around 10,000.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:04:07 AM »

Haha, thank you for comment and great that it entertained you!
To fight against goblins or hiisis you just have to move to their area and fight begins. It is so simple. Advanced weapons minimize your losses. Also, if you don't want to defeat hiisis yourself, you can use summon blizzard over goblins. They turn into stone giants which go and destroy hiisis.

Today I thought this concept a bit. I had this idea of letting player to move in strategy game wise once per turn before using card. Something I'm not sure about is how to handle fights. I want to keep them simple and rather focus on using cards. However, current fight mechanic is a bit shallow. I also don't want to let player to split the tribe. Perhaps each fight could take several tturns, where monsters deal x-amount of damage in each turn if it is in the same area as the ttribe...

I'm also considering procedurally generated levels and Spelunky-style advancing.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic