Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:55:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEngine demo requires technical feedback [Windows]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Engine demo requires technical feedback [Windows]  (Read 1366 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »

I'm looking for feedback on my game engine's demo.
This was a game project I had been working on on and off for several years, but after wrapping up the demo I didn't manage to get enough interest to justify pursuing the game as a top priority. Probably the graphic style.

I would be interested to know how the engine works on other people's computers, especially the newfangled windows versions post-XP. I know it might work on vista/7 without problems but I'm not sure for Windows 8.

Download the demo here:
http://jovianblue.com/games/HillsOfBones_demo.zip

The game is a casualized arcadey dig-game (it was initially supposed to be like a reboot of dig dug)
you can interrupt the cinematics with ESC

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jprogman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »

I'm having troubles trying to start the game after creating my profile. Although, I can play the game without having a profile.
Works well on my Windows 8 computer otherwise. (Windows 8.0 to be specific.)
I only played it up to level 2, but I have checked the every cinematic up to that point.
I didn't find any glitches during the game, even used a few items here and there.

I like the 3D characters, but they don't really fit with the game in my opinion. In contrast, the Dig-Dug style game is alright but the 3D characters and setting doesn't mingle well. Again, just my biased opinion.  Gentleman I like how the game takes Dig-Dug and make it more of a puzzle game; with the ability to retry that same level too.

That's all of my concerns. Just for curiosity sakes, what program did you use to create those 3D characters and graphics?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:39:32 AM by jprogman » Logged

~JProgman ~ I Made Mosaic Mingle ~ My Web Portfolio ~ @jprogman ~
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 06:38:14 AM »

Thanks for your feedback, the profile problem is probably because of windows 8 not letting the game create a file, is there a "profile" file created in the game folder?

I know that the cinematics might be a bit too much.
Did you find the first 2 levels boring? these are just introduction and the later levels have enemies.

For the characters I just used generic 3D assets from asset stores and spent A LOT of time customizing them.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:49:24 AM by moi » Logged

jprogman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »

I got the profile thingy to work. I'm not sure what happened, but I first played a fresh copy (extracted from the zip), created a new profile and then start the game. It loaded this time.
I don't know if my first time have something to do with the glitch. I played the game without a profile once and then tried to create a new profile. It did create a profile "file" on my computer by the way.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »

yeah I suppose I should make this simpler

jprogman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »

Continuing: the first two levels are okay, but they're too easy without the enemies. (I haven't got to where the enemies are just yet.) It's better to start off with simpler enemies to let the players know what they're up against.

After playing the first level, the only problem I have is getting used to the controls. At least they're customizable, but the defaults took me some time getting used to.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic