Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:08:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDungeon Hearts Roguelike - Feedback Needed
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Hearts Roguelike - Feedback Needed  (Read 1624 times)
Chris Pavia
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »

Dungeon Hearts Roguelike (not the final name) is the follow up to my last game Dungeon Hearts, although the gameplay is completely different. I'm at the point with this prototype where I'm ready to start getting more player feedback. The game is early in development, but I think I'm almost done iterating on the base gameplay. My focus so far has been on gameplay so the UI is still wonky in places, although I'll be improving that area soon.

Known Issues:
- Sometimes the exit can spawn in a position that blocks off some of the map.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:20:49 AM by Chris Pavia » Logged
mrBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:32:10 AM »

I started the game. 

I got past the screen where I selected my cards.  I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to be doing there, but I managed to proceed.

Then, when I got to the next screen, the game seemed to have frozen.  The HUD was displaying fine (as shown by your top image), but the main screen was taken up by straight lines. 

I managed to get to some screen where I could craft cards.  Then, I quit the game.

I've got a really old Mac, so it could just be my computer.

Dev Log: Lejendary Dev Log
Chris Pavia
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »

Hmm, my regular testers have run the game just fine, so I imagine it's your computer (someone else feel free to chime in if you had problems as well). Maybe Unity doesn't support the video card? I'll give it a download when I get home just to be sure.

There's a short guide that comes with the build that explains what to do (until I can focus on tutorialization), but in the next build I'll put some messaging in the party select menu to make things clearer.
laughing Frogs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »

i had similar problems finding out how to play as mrBlack, i even looked at the manual. But in there it says "move with wasd", but that only moved the map. In the end i found out it was the arrow keys. I know i should have tried that earlier but, with such a "graphical" game i expected to be able to use the mouse to interact and when that didn't work, i thought i was doing something wrong gameplaywise not inputwise.
Anyway, besides that the game worked without problems for me(on win7). But i got only to the second level
Chris Pavia
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »

Good find, I'll fix that mistake with WASD vs Arrows. You can use the mouse on the HUD elements like cards and stuff, I didn't think about using it for movement/attacking but it makes sense so I'll add that in.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »

Fixed the typo in the guide and updated the downloads in the first post. Movement / attacking via the mouse is up next after the feature I'm currently working on.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 02:14:47 PM »

there did not seem a way to heal, i ended up just having to leave the dungeon every time. if i ever did continue i would be dead. there seems no way to defeat a giant rat without taking 1 damage. as i only have 5 health, life is short. am i expected to run away? that wont work all the time either.

i liked the visuals, i never got near crafting anything or finding a usefull upgrade.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 03:02:21 PM »

As you level up your heroes, their stats will increase, and they'll give bonuses to your damage/health/etc. You do unlock a healer eventually. The first hero you unlock (on level 3) has a ranged attack, so you can kill a giant rat without being hit after that. Maybe I should switch it to unlocking the healer first? Rats are also easy to avoid if you have room, since their chase distance is much shorter than other enemies. I'm not opposed to raising the starting health a bit though.

I could also increase the frequency with which you find healing potions in chests?
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:57:31 PM »

the healer, never even saw him Smiley. i only found the archer and the time-doubler.
i just managed to beat the shadow wizard though, although just barely and with a lot of thinking and my final 2 hitpoints. at first i was thinking it was impossible after he spawned his 3 skelleton (then i noticed his energy is limited). I also nearly just ran from the dungeon, but decided to fight it out. must say, i did spend quite some time and the boss was satifying (probably would have been pissed if i had lost).

my main issue was at first: i did not understand that clicking the cards changed my next attack (first comment). i then tried the game again. after unlocking the archer i was thinking i now had two attacks (didnt notice the archer skill takes energy). i only later noticed my main character can have a power attack. i would be cool to have a very simple introduction to every character you find. e.g. for the main character: let him destroy a rock that requires the high-power attack.

having a healer would be nice, as for me it was highly luck based. i just had to find a healing-card. with the archer and the time-mage i did devise tactics to kill all enemies unharmed. the only issue is when you are cornered, surrounded or out of energy Wink

edit:
the camera is a little disturbing at times. its hard to orientate and you cant see whats below very easily (maybe center the character higher up or allow more zoom-out)

Chris Pavia
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »

In regards to the camera, you can use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom in/out. You can also use the right mouse button to rotate around the hero. Be careful with that though, the arrows keys don't currently remap when you change camera orientation.

I agree about having a tutorial that shows you how to use the hero's skills and whatnot, I'm just waiting till I finalize all the base gameplay, or else I'd have to redo the whole thing each time I make a change. I think I'm getting close though.

Oh, I should have mentioned in the last post, there is a healer but he is found in the level right AFTER the first boss (but the demo exits before that of course). I see you mentioned that it took you a while to notice Brand's power attack. Before you have the healer, I think you can kill anything with it in one hit except for the Silverfish. I'm still working out what the best unlock order is though, I just thought Telina's ranged attack ability would be more fun/interesting to get as the first new hero, compared to a heal.

One thing I think I need to communicate better is that using a hero's ability doesn't use an action, only energy. So you can use as many of their abilities as you want (provided you have the energy), the enemies won't get to go until you move, make a melee attack, or open a chest.

Thanks for the feedback! Let me know if you think of anything else if you continue playing and level up the heroes some more. Basically each level increases their ability by 1 point, or adds 1 point to one of your base stats (damage, health, energy, armor).
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic