Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 08:29:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Oni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork  (Read 46806 times)
feminazi
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2014, 10:59:12 PM »

u double click it
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2014, 05:57:06 AM »

Whoa! Super cool to get a chance to play with this. Really neat.

What's with the midpoint though? I'm referring to the circle that's white on the inside with the green border. Is that just a visual aid? Clicking on it doesn't seem to do anything, at least not that I can tell.

Thankyou! The midpoint is just a visual aid, you have to double click on the line itself in order to add a new point inbetween two others, so it helps with that. I'm also going to allow people to drag out the midpoint to add a curve control point, so it'll have a bit more use when I get that done.

u double click it

This is weird because I was no lie dreaming about seeing Lizzi merch in shops an hour before I saw this post...

Also, here's some creations that people have showed me:

Feels so awesome to see people create with this tool.

1kW
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »

I've completely re-written the climb system, and now Klank casts rays to see if there is an obstacle above him that he can't pass. This is done in realtime, so if an object suddenly appears infront of him klank will cancel the climbing action.
So you're using rays and for collision detection between Klank and the ground, or something better optimized? Just wondering Undecided
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »

I've completely re-written the climb system, and now Klank casts rays to see if there is an obstacle above him that he can't pass. This is done in realtime, so if an object suddenly appears infront of him klank will cancel the climbing action.
So you're using rays and for collision detection between Klank and the ground, or something better optimized? Just wondering Undecided

Oh no no. The rays are cast only when Klank wishes to climb up an obstacle. The rays are then cast infront of him and slightly above him to see if there is anything in the way. If not, he can climb, otherwise it just cancels the action.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »

Sorry for the lack of updates, however progress is being made. We're really really busy lately working on alot of secret stuff and our jobs. But in the meantime, here's another little animation:

We've also started work on a side-project based on one of Lloyd's games he made when he was younger, called RENGA.

Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2014, 06:50:52 AM »

Oh cool you guys are now using Ferr2D Terrain too! Its an awesome unity plugin, though I didn't know you guys were using unity, or have you made a similar thing in your own engine based off the Ferr stuff, eitherway its looking cool!

Really looking forward to hearing more about the game, that frog and snake thing was awesome, though the snakething was kinda creepy.
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2014, 11:29:24 AM »

Oh cool you guys are now using Ferr2D Terrain too! Its an awesome unity plugin, though I didn't know you guys were using unity, or have you made a similar thing in your own engine based off the Ferr stuff, eitherway its looking cool!

Really looking forward to hearing more about the game, that frog and snake thing was awesome, though the snakething was kinda creepy.

pretty sure they're using their own, non-unity engine

So long and thanks for all the pi
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »

Maybe they did a Ferr2D port or something
Dan_Tsukasa
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2014, 01:31:28 PM »

Yeah most likely a port, since I think the visuals are the same as the samples provided with the asset, making that work in another program must have been difficult, but well worth it for the benefits, looking forward to some more updates.
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »

Yeah most likely a port, since I think the visuals are the same as the samples provided with the asset, making that work in another program must have been difficult, but well worth it for the benefits, looking forward to some more updates.

It wasn't a direct port, however I did buy the plugin just to grab the graphics haha. I needed assets exactly like those for my system to work, it was so ugly before - now we know what we need to draw for smart textures it'll make our lives so much easier. I wrote some AGAL and AS3 to get this to be able to run smoothly and perfectly, that was a challenge. If you don't know what AGAL is, don't look - you'll have nightmares.

Also, sorry for the radio silence lately. Lloyd and I have been extremely busy with work and life in general, we're still grinding away at Oni World though, planning a big update soon Wink

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2014, 10:27:12 AM »

we're back

karlozalb
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »

Wow, the main character in widescreen looks nice! Tongue
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »

I wish more developers shared gifs of visual bugs :D
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2014, 09:46:01 AM »

Some slum wall concept art, with an Ogre smoking

AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »

One thing I hope you avoid is the sort of...stiffness I see in the character animation engine. It reminds me of Scribblenauts in a way, and that art really bugs me. Love that character, though.

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
karlozalb
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2014, 01:17:17 AM »

Some slum wall concept art, with an Ogre smoking

Nice concept  Shocked
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2014, 04:06:00 AM »

One thing I hope you avoid is the sort of...stiffness I see in the character animation engine. It reminds me of Scribblenauts in a way, and that art really bugs me. Love that character, though.

The animations and the system used to control them needs fine tuning, and it's alot harder to see in GIFs than at 60fps on any device. Can you explain a bit more about what bugs you?

Lucs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2014, 01:01:02 PM »

I think i understand what bugs him and that's the only thing that bugs me with the look of your game. Its not about the engine rendering.
The character looks like it's just a bunch of limbs tied to each other so when it moves it looks really stiff, its a bit weird.
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »

I think i understand what bugs him and that's the only thing that bugs me with the look of your game. Its not about the engine rendering.

Pretty much all of the screenshots/videos/gifs posted have been placeholder or temporary artwork, we're always going through revisions. While Lloyd produces the art, I work on improving the engine, re-iterate and get feedback. Works quite well so far, we have so much to show you guys soon but it's just not ready yet.

The character looks like it's just a bunch of limbs tied to each other so when it moves it looks really stiff, its a bit weird.

The stiffness was intended, think C3-PO in Star Wars. Klank is an android like him, made out of individual metal cased parts with motors and hinges etc. But feedback noted, a few people have said similar  Who, Me?

AlphaPlus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2014, 05:43:47 PM »

Don't you think this is a little wide?

I feel like, you need to make up your mind. Is it robotic, rigid, or is it smooth, and lifelike? Atm, it's in between. It looks really unnatural. Food for thought!

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been'.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic