Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1367867 Posts in 64175 Topics- by 56098 Members - Latest Member: Pennywoloz

October 17, 2019, 01:35:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Oni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork  (Read 42088 times)
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »

Following!
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 01:49:41 PM »

Quick #ScreenshotSaturday update - level editor progress:

Lloyd has also been working on some pretty sweet art:

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 01:09:06 AM »

This game's amazing art reminds me a bit of Amanita Design's fabulous art for Machinarium, and also a bit of AndroidArts' work

So long and thanks for all the pi
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 04:10:02 AM »

This game's amazing art reminds me a bit of Amanita Design's fabulous art for Machinarium, and also a bit of AndroidArts' work

Wait until you see the huge rolling basalt hills Wink

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »

This post was so great I had to blog it.

Lloyd finished up the train and made it move!

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »

hehehe i love that picture

this is why I keep a bank of amusing images
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:04:30 AM by Noogai03 » Logged

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »

Here's a work in progress shot of the Klank sprite:

And in other news, I've just spent a good few hours getting scene/entity/component serialization on and making it completely seamless. Got a custom entity class? No problem, it's automatically serialized with all the right data without you doing anything.

This is really powerful for modders or people using the engine for their own game, and it also means we can now save and load game levels! You can track the engine's development by stalking the GitHub commits.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »

What are you using for data storage (xml, json, some form of binary, etc)?

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 07:01:27 AM »

We can use either of those formats. We currently serialize the data to an object, which can then be converted into XML, JSON, binary or some other format. It's likely that we'll either use JSON or binary - we already use JSON for a few things as we can edit it by hand if needed. Depends which has the smaller filesize really and is the fastest.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 07:31:21 AM »

We can use either of those formats. We currently serialize the data to an object, which can then be converted into XML, JSON, binary or some other format. It's likely that we'll either use JSON or binary - we already use JSON for a few things as we can edit it by hand if needed. Depends which has the smaller filesize really and is the fastest.

JSON is absolutely smashing. It's less verbose than XML and you can tell the parser to create it without whitespace, minimizing size. It's ridiculously easy to use in C#, idk about Flash...(you're using flash amirite?)

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 08:47:06 AM »

JSON is absolutely smashing. It's less verbose than XML and you can tell the parser to create it without whitespace, minimizing size. It's ridiculously easy to use in C#, idk about Flash...(you're using flash amirite?)

Yeah, JSON rocks. It's usable in every language, and most support it natively (javascript, for example). We're using AS3 with Adobe Air, so it's not quite Flash. But anyway, JSON in AS3 is as native as in Javascript.

public function serialize():Object
      {
         return {
            className: getQualifiedClassName(this),
            x: this.x,
            y: this.y,
            z: this.z,
            scaleX: this.scaleX,
            scaleY: this.scaleY,
            rotation: this.rotation,
            blendMode: this.blendMode,
            cull: this.cull,
            scrollX: this.scrollX,
            scrollY: this.scrollY,
            width: this.width,
            height: this.height,
            params: _params
         };
      }

As you can see there, declaring an object in AS3 is just like writing JSON.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 01:05:15 PM »

I've only used AS3 for about 20 minutes so I always thought it (via flashdevelop, etc) WAS Flash...  Durr...?

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2013, 11:14:49 AM »

Got some more factory assets down!

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 08:17:49 PM »

DevLog update #1

So the past few weeks I've been working on the engine's editor. After many trials and tribulations, it's finally coming together! Lloyd and I will be having a level design session very soon, and once we get some ideas down we'll begin building some levels to show you guys. The engine is technically advanced as it is right now, and soon you'll see that in the screenshots to come. The editor has been taking longer than expected to code, but it's been worth it.

Here's a breakdown of what each icon does:
  • 4 arrows - Camera panning and zooming (zoom by holding control)
  • Arrow/pointer - Pick entity, move entity, scale entity and rotate entity
  • Lightbulb - Toggle lightmap on/off
  • Pencil - Edit entity properties
  • Trash can - Delete entity
  • R-Lock - Lock rotation
  • S-Lock - Lock scale
  • Z-lock - Select game layer objects only

The buttons are pretty much self explanatory, and I'm sure I'll end up adding more buttons soon. We want the editor to be a really visual thing - primarily because we want to be able to create levels on touch screen devices. Of course, there are keyboard and mouse shortcuts to speed things up on the PC.

Lloyd has also been hard at work on some assets, and has recently got the train and some trailers done.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »

That editor is looking good! It already has some great functionalities.

Question: How exactly does the pencil work with regards to editing entity properties? Is that for changing properties such as weight or bounce via a dropdown menu?

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »

Question: How exactly does the pencil work with regards to editing entity properties? Is that for changing properties such as weight or bounce via a dropdown menu?

It's nothing too fancy right now, and probably won't be. A little dialog opens up like the one below (not finalized yet) with all the possible data you could ever need to edit. You can edit manually using sliders, textboxes, checkboxes and the like. It's simple but gets the job done!

EDIT:
Just spent a long time on this...

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:16:45 AM by OniWorld » Logged

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 01:38:34 AM »

DevLog update #2

So alongside some major improvements in the editor and an iPad port of the game working, Lloyd has been working on a lever mechanic and the art for it. One of the many variations of the lever would be this example:

When you activate the lever, the girder moves upwards. This then blocks the path above, so you have to activate another lever to move it back down. It's simple but could make for some interesting mechanics. Here's what we imagine it'd look like in game:

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 03:57:25 AM »

What, if anything, are you using for your UI?

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »

What, if anything, are you using for your UI?

We're not using a specific UI framework, just drawing shapes and bitmaps - not the most efficient way but it gets the job done. We looked into a few UI frameworks but they were a bit overkill for what we wanted, and it was hard to get the UI to layer over the game world properly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic