Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:38:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Oni World: Klank's Story - 2D adventure with hand-illustrated HD artwork  (Read 46805 times)
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2014, 03:52:52 AM »

wooow, really good&smooth animations  Beer!
Calined
Level 1

VGM Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2014, 02:18:46 PM »

the bobbling head on the run really adds to it =D
although right now i wonder how the parts are interlocked~
but i don't think you take it that serious^^

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »

wooow, really good&smooth animations  Beer!

Cheers Beer! I think both our games show how powerful Spine can be!

the bobbling head on the run really adds to it =D
although right now i wonder how the parts are interlocked~
but i don't think you take it that serious^^

How do you mean interlocked, as in how each part connects to its parent? (eg: arm to torso). If so, it's because Oni World has some awesome technology... that is being ripped off, I should add Wink

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »

DevLog update #6
I've spent most of my time lately integrating spine, and Klank's animations. I've also been working on getting some movement mechanics in, such as climbing. After spending quite a bit of time thinking about the best way to implement this, I decided on this approach. Basically, we have two sensors. These sensors will sense when an object at the correct height is right next to klank (the blue highlighted sensor), but if the red highlighted sensor is touching something, that means that the obstacle is either too high or has something ontop of it - so we can't climb on that. In this image we can climb it:

But we can't here:

I decided to make climbing an automatic thing, so all you have to do is run upto an obstacle, like that barrel, and klank will automatically climb up onto it and continue running. Alternatively, you can just jump over it - it depends on your play style.

...and here's a crappy GIF!

Next up: polishing the climbing, waiting on more animations and writing a multi-platform input controller

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2014, 03:05:05 PM »

Been away from this devlog for a while, and just now finally caught up.

Really curious to see how you develop the climbing collision. I personally had a ton of problem implementing that stuff, with objects having to see if something is on top of it, or if it's on top of something.

I see in the gif that the stacked barrels just topple over when the player tries to climb it. But what would happen with the arrangement below:

Could the player climb to the top of the stack with 3 barrels?

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »

Been away from this devlog for a while, and just now finally caught up.

Really curious to see how you develop the climbing collision. I personally had a ton of problem implementing that stuff, with objects having to see if something is on top of it, or if it's on top of something.

I see in the gif that the stacked barrels just topple over when the player tries to climb it. But what would happen with the arrangement below:

Could the player climb to the top of the stack with 3 barrels?

I'm still trying to figure out how to accurately detect if there are any objects ontop. Right now I have sensors like these:

So basically, if an object is within that large sensor, you can't climb it because there would be something blocking you. However, it has issues with detecting multiples objects and a few other things which I can't work out, it's also a really bad way to approach this.

I'm thinking of having a sensor detect if there's a collision at a certain level like I have now, to see if you'd be able to climb (the little sensor). When it's hit, we cast a few rays around the facing direction like this (excuse the crudeness):

and then, if a ray hits an object like this:

...then, that means there is something blocking so you can't climb up there. This should work in realtime and be efficient. I'll get back to you on that scene idea you posted once I code this up.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 01, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »

Moonwalking bugs are the best

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:13:32 AM by OniWorld » Logged

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2014, 07:20:09 AM »

Mailing list
What I am about to show you, could be considered toadly awesome.

Here are some concept designs of a mushroomy toad for the swamp level of the game. Get it? Toadly awesome? Ah forget it...

Starting of, I created a bunch of rough sketches and some variations for the creature. I looked at various frogs and toads to get some ideas on head variation.

Next, I combined the parts of the sketches I like into one rough line drawing, simply by cutting and pasting the parts together. I went for the bottom left head with the mushroom covered body, mixing in little boils and warts from the top left design.

Then I slapped some digital paint on that sucka to complete the concept design. The colours I chose were based on the mushroom design I created a week or so ago.

But that's not all I've been doing. I've been designing something else for the swamp. Something a lot more horrific. These concepts are for what I'm calling the "Snap Jaw Monster." Thats all I'll say for now.

-Lloyd

Emobe
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »

Looking good. Top keks, following!  Gentleman
Calined
Level 1

VGM Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »

thanks for showing your process!
really awesome and inspiring =)

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »

Devlog update #7
So, progress has been made! I've completely re-written the climb system, and now Klank casts rays to see if there is an obstacle above him that he can't pass. This is done in realtime, so if an object suddenly appears infront of him klank will cancel the climbing action.

I've also been completely revamping the smart texture system and creating a powerful vector editor. We really want to focus on free-form terrain and level design. This isn't too hard in 3D, but with 2D it can be difficult to get it to look right. When I first started work on the engine, the smart texture system was the first component I worked on. They've been continuously updated, and now we're getting how we want them. Here's some previews, but they're not finalized yet:

more terrain

and a twitter logo mockup because I was bored :D

I've also been working on other gameplay elements, polishing some editor features and optimizing. More about this soon!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:07:54 AM by OniWorld » Logged

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »

wow! truly impressive

Calined
Level 1

VGM Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »

especially the twitter logo shows how powerful this is!
really like how "natural" it feels. =)

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »

Vlog #2

This development vlog is mainly about smart textures and more on free form terrain, how it's built and a small demo.

wow! truly impressive

especially the twitter logo shows how powerful this is!
really like how "natural" it feels. =)

Thanks for the kind words guys! Yeah, I was on a bit of a tweet rampage so I decided to spice things up with a crudely drawn twitter logo. People seem to of loved it though :D

Savick
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2014, 04:47:22 PM »

The design of the main character has creeped me out from the start of this. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner. It's head makes me think of a spider and rusty zipper. I mean it's supposed to be a robot and everything yeah, but it just gives me the jibblies looking at it for too long. You don't have to change it based on my input, just keep it in mind that one person doesn't like it. Overall I'm really impressed with the terrain generation you have going there and the art in general is pretty nice.
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2014, 10:59:43 AM »

The design of the main character has creeped me out from the start of this. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner. It's head makes me think of a spider and rusty zipper. I mean it's supposed to be a robot and everything yeah, but it just gives me the jibblies looking at it for too long. You don't have to change it based on my input, just keep it in mind that one person doesn't like it. Overall I'm really impressed with the terrain generation you have going there and the art in general is pretty nice.

See, we sortof take that as a good thing. Oni World is meant to be a strange and surreal place, and it will soon be getting much darker. The idea of this game is to escape reality and immerse yourself in a completely different world. But thanks for your feedback Smiley

Another use of smart textures, if terrain isn't your thing...

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:18 PM »

I shared the smart texture stuff with a few friends, and they're all super impressed.

By the way, have you seen this GDC talk from the guys that made Incredipede? http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1018068/The-Art-of

There's some similar stuff going on that you might find interesting. Colin also mentions in the talk that if you want the code for any of the stuff you see, just drop him an email!

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2014, 06:29:55 PM »

I shared the smart texture stuff with a few friends, and they're all super impressed.

By the way, have you seen this GDC talk from the guys that made Incredipede? http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1018068/The-Art-of

There's some similar stuff going on that you might find interesting. Colin also mentions in the talk that if you want the code for any of the stuff you see, just drop him an email!

Thanks for sharing, everyone seems to love it! I've got developers now who I looked upto for years praising me now, and that is a great feeling. Motivation in a can. I haven't seen it, but I'm going to now. I've read and I think listened to some other talks about Incredipede, awesome game.

OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »

Just uploaded a demo of the free-form 2D terrain we've been working on.

http://oniworks.co.uk/oniengine/terraindemo/

(double click on line to add point, press c to add a curve)

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »

Whoa! Super cool to get a chance to play with this. Really neat.

What's with the midpoint though? I'm referring to the circle that's white on the inside with the green border. Is that just a visual aid? Clicking on it doesn't seem to do anything, at least not that I can tell.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic