Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:43:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMeaningful death in a permadeath game?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Meaningful death in a permadeath game?  (Read 6912 times)
sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »

You should make the buildup to the highest attainable power level not be tedious or time consuming, which means the highest attainable power shouldn't be too far off being naked in the woods. Make the fun in the gameplay about doing things, taking action; not about building up the character. That could be limited to as what kind of combination weaponry/armor you decide you're going to use for that character's life.

A specific problem I have in level design for Suspicious Minds is related to this. I want to stay away from tutorials so the first few levels should teach the total newbie the basics of the game, but still not be a pointless chore for experts.

This is similar, the buildup needs to not be a pointless chore so people will want to come back and play again after losing the game.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 10:09:57 AM »

it's a common problem in roguelikes. usually once you've mastered the game mechanics, the early levels are either pure grind or pure luck. spelunky circumvents this issue in a good way via the tunnel man.
sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »

it's a common problem in roguelikes. usually once you've mastered the game mechanics, the early levels are either pure grind or pure luck. spelunky circumvents this issue in a good way via the tunnel man.

I think in Nuclear Throne they pretty much solved this. First few levels are like a warmup for the real thing and it doesn't get boring at all even after 100+ hours of play.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2015, 05:32:13 PM »

Also nuclear throne keeps itself a 9/10 game by having the oasis skip if you're tired of the first three areas.
TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2015, 05:46:23 PM »

You could allow the next player to find the loot of a previous attempt.
Basically, this.  It would probably be easiest.
Aside from that, you could have a Rogue Legacy type of thing where the child of the slain character inherits traits from their father/mother.

A couple of ideas from a game I was working on that I might not end up using, but are similar to these:
1) Child character receives an heirloom--one of the items that the parent character used, but heirlooms have a small stat-increase or whatever.
2) In a similar vein to Rogue Legacy, child inherits stats based on what the parent's class was (e.g., parent was a mage, so child was around books all the time and gets +1 intelligence).

:: shrug ::
Devil's designer here:
How would you prevent players from killin themselves on purpose to keep upgrading the item?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »

maybe make it so you don't start out with the heirloom but have to find it first.
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2015, 04:40:04 AM »

The power of the heirloom could scale based on your character's progress- it starts at "useless", but scales back up to the previous power as you advance. Repeatedly dying early degrades its power, while consistently coming close to your previous spot or making progress gradually increases it.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic