Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:37:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRPG Playground - Make your own 2D action RPG
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: RPG Playground - Make your own 2D action RPG  (Read 13306 times)
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »

I was browsing through some projects that my users are currently creating, and here are a few of them (I first asked if I was allowed to share them)

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2014, 03:51:25 AM »

I finished my demo game with all functionality that's currently available. You can try it out at http://rpgplayground.com/?prj=50fc1ac7180965492e000001.

I'm currently working on extracting a standalone Flash version of that demo game. I'm going to release this on as many Flash portals as possible. I don't want any direct revenue out of this game (ads or license), but it will feature a 'Created by RPG Playground' link in the bottom-right corner. This way I have a little experiment on the famous k-factor. I will keep you updated on how many plays I can get out of it, and how many users will click on that link. I sure hope to receive plenty of new subscribers out of that, but I'll have to wait and see.

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 04:28:19 AM »

I created a standalone version of my demo game, and just uploaded it to newgrounds. You can play it at http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/634489. Giving me a high vote is much appreciated  Beer!!

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 11:15:43 PM »

Oh my, it's been more than a year sine I last updated this topic Embarrassed.

So my plan is to make more regular posts in this topic. The feedback I receive here in the TIGSource forums have been really helpful, so I decided to keep this topic updated.

A lot has been added since the previous post:
* 'Screenplay' support to add conversations to NPC interactions
* Multiple levels, so you can walk into houses
* A brand new website with its own blog and forum: http://rpgplayground.com

Currently working on integrating Box2D to have pixel walking (instead of being restricted to tiles).

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 05:10:46 AM »

Nice to see you are still working on this! I think that web based editors are truly the future and your interface seems really intuitive so far. I can't wait to see mechanical things added like items and combat!

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 06:08:19 AM »

So I have like 184 likes on my Facebook page, but whenever I do a post, I got like '23 people reached'. With the last one at '3 people reached'.

Facebook is of course 'nice' enough to put a Boost Post button next to it, where you can pay to reach more people. It's really sad, because it seems they don't show posts so you would buy more views.

On twitter I have the double amount of followers, but interactions are way more than double. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth to stay on Facebook, but some of my most loyal fans are on there, and I don't want to let them down.

Anyone else got this experience with Facebook pages?

DrSchizo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2016, 02:51:16 PM »

Congratulations! =)

One day, I will live in theory, because in theory, everything is possible!
Devlogs: Wind Fortress (RPG) and Sandbox Adventure (Visual Novels)
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:51 AM »

Wow it's been 3 years since I last posted here! Embarrassed

Here is a quick overview of what happened in the mean time:
  • Story driven games can be created with an easy to use 'Screenplays' (but I will still improve on that)
  • Movements are powered by the Box2D physics engine. Had to take my time to tweak this to get a proper result
  • Ported my entire code from Flash ActionScript 3 to HTML5 using Haxe/Kha
  • Games can be easily shared, commented on, and seen how many views they have
  • Added way more tiles
  • Ran a competition to make a game with the title "The legend of the 3 orbs", and 6 people had a working game for this. See http://rpgplayground.com/forums/topic/contest-the-legend-of-the-3-orbs-deadline-12th-of-march/

Now I'm finalizing combat

If I can find the time, I will go into more detail of what happened. So if you want to know more about something, let me know!

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 03:56:52 AM »

I created a public roadmap that you can influence. Vote on your favorite features for RPG Playground!

Start voting at https://trello.com/c/OqfFeR7L

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2018, 07:48:57 AM »

Hi game developers!

In the latest update of RPG Playground, you can include action combat in your game.

Your main hero can wield a sword and fight monsters. Even the toddler knows how to handle this sharp piece of steel. Nobody is “too young” to save the world!

Look at the animation below how easy it is to set up fighting. Drop a few enemies in your world, and your game is ready to go.

Fighting, killing, dying and other combat features are automatically handled by RPG Playground.

If you want to keep your hero alive a bit longer, just drop a few health potions in your levels, to patch up those serious wounds.

Watch the

that explains everything in detail

The new combat features are optional in your games. If you want to focus solely on story based games, you can disable this functionality.
Existing games are upgraded to the latest version, but the combat will be disabled by default. Do you want to have combat in your old game? No problem, just click on 2 switches in your hero properties to enable health and the sword. Yes, it’s that easy.

Various enemies will fight your hero, including filthy slimes, nasty bats, or bigger monsters such as scary demons.

What are you waiting for? RPG Playground has free early-access, so try it at https://rpgplayground.com.

Seriously, stop reading this and try it! Smiley

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 08:50:20 AM »

You don't need to worry about layers in our tile editor. Just place your objects where you want, and the engine will handle what goes behind what.

Still need to implement other convenient features:
- autotiles
- bucket fill
- rectangle fill

Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »

First time I've heard of this, pretty inspiring to see you're still working on it after all these years! ARPGs are one of my favourite genres, so this looks like a lovely tool to make short prototypes for fun or experiment with ideas I have in my head.

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »

Quick tiny update: I added sounds to RPG Playground.

Any feedback on anything is welcome of course! Smiley

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 01:54:47 AM »

You just have to play this game "The Curious Case of Lierra" made by Aura! It's hard to imagine she made this in only 3 weeks Shocked.

You can play it straight in your browser: http://rpgplayground.com/forums/topic/the-curious-case-of-lierra-by-aura/

Charles has a special gift! He can see ghosts. Now he travels the land to help all the wretched souls in need. But he would have never guessed where this gift once would take him...

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 02:36:24 AM »

The new logo has arrived. Beer!

Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 06:18:24 AM »

Looks really nice :D

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »

Hey everyone, it's been some time since I posted here.

Anyway, a lot has happend since last time, and you should definitely check out my latest version.

To get you motivated, I created a competition that you can easily enter. Just go ahead and start creating your own game, it's easy and anyone can do it.

More info on the competition here: http://rpgplayground.com/forums/topic/the-challenge-of-private-investigator-kate/

I would love to see what you are able to create!

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 05:16:03 AM »

RPG Playground is released on @itchio!!! Check it out at https://dewitters.itch.io/rpgplayground.

Would you be so kind to give me a nice rating on that page? Thanks! Gentleman

deWiTTERS
Level 1

deWiTTERS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2020, 09:47:35 AM »

I haven't posted here in a very long time. But recently I'm doing a lot of updates, and now I finished all new tilemap editing tools.

Check those features out at

Are people still watching this thread, or it is a waste of my time here?  Shrug

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic