Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:47:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDethlands [canceled]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dethlands [canceled]  (Read 11894 times)
infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2013, 02:13:46 PM »

This game has been canceled.  To find out why as well as a link to the game's final alpha build, go to the following video:

This thread will no longer be updated.  If you want to follow our project, please use the 3 sources listed below.  --Ryan

Hey there folks!
I just wanted to let you all know about our current project called Dethlands - an action platformer game that celebrates the black/death metal genre.  You play as Golgoth, the frontman for a black metal band who gets their instruments stolen, and you must go on a journey to get them back.  It also features badass chipmetal tunes done by our programmer, Matt.  We hope to be done with the game in the coming months.  

And now what you want to see: SCREENSHOTS!!! (all are considered "alpha" and are subject to change).

P.S. Lastly just wanted to quickly mention that the game was not made for or during the recent GameBoy Jam, and was in development months before it.  It is a fully-fledged game spanning 9 levels with multiple rooms, subweapons, secrets, branching paths, and more.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:21:55 PM by infinitysend » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »

Looks cool.
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »

Looks great, really digging the artstyle!

DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »

Looks really cool. My feedback is that you might have a bit easier time in terms of readability if you limited backgrounds to 2 colors instead of 3.

-Dan
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:20 PM »

Oh man, I love gameboy style games. Have you heard of trufun's Rad Raygun?

I love how he uses his hair to attack, is that character based on anyone from KISS by any chance? Wink Looks pretty sweet, I'd love to see some GIFs of the game in action!

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »

Not seeing too many reasons not to do this game to color, since surely these cartoony guys would look fantastic that way. Gameboy was pretty limited all around, so just adopting the color part feels like holding back the art that seems like it belongs on a higher platform. It wouldn't take too much to make this a Mega Drive-styled project, although there are enough limitations to that thing it'd require some research

This.

The game looks awesome but I would love to see it in color. Either way good luck with the project...

infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 10:26:35 PM »

Not seeing too many reasons not to do this game to color, since surely these cartoony guys would look fantastic that way.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses & feedback.  As I'm sure you know, it's not that easy to just "change to color" when you're over 60% done with the game.  We've actually gone to great lengths balancing things and colorizing the game would probably kill some of its charm.  Besides, we just don't have the time or resources to make that drastic of a change at this point in the game's development.  It's actually quite a challenge and part of the fun developing something with this kind of limitation.  People who have made GameBoy-style games in the past probably can relate.  Anyway, the game probably won't receive a color facelift at any point in the future.  

Also in a way, being grayscale/greenscale relates more to the black metal genre as most of the art depicted on black metal bands album's art is that way (mostly black).
infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »

If are you interested in playing an early build of Dethlands and live in the Austin area, I will be showing off the game at this event on Thursday. http://juegosrancheros.com/ If you guys aren't familiar with Juegos Rancheros, it is an event that is run by Brandon Boyer (IGF Chairman & webmaster of VenusPatrol.com) and Adam "Atomic" Saltsman (Canabault, Hundreds, Grave), and Wiley Wiggins.  It's free and open to the public. Doors open at 7pm. Hope to see you there!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:23:57 AM by infinitysend » Logged
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:22:44 AM »

Game looks awesome. Like a B&W Dethclock game. Sad I have to work, and wont be able to see the game at Juegos Rancheros this Thursday. Keep up the good work.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »

Juegos Rancheros was a huge success.  I will likely be demoing the game at other events in the future as we progress.

In other news, Matt (our programmer & sound designer) just uploaded this amazing track.  I think you'll agree, it's pretty amazing.

(can I embed YT vids? o_O)
If you're interested in hearing more of the game's soundtrack, feel free to check out this preview.

More to come!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 06:54:39 PM by infinitysend » Logged
travisofarabia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:01:48 PM »

Juegos Rancheros was a huge success.  I will likely be demoing the game at other events in the future as we progress.

I only live an our away! How did I not know about this.. Durr...?
noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »

This is great. I'm really impressed at how you were able to balance everything using only four? colors. So could this game actually work on a game boy or is the colors just for aesthetics?

While agree with everyone who is saying to put it in color, I still like it as is. But maybe when you are 100 done with the game maybe do like a gameboy color version where all the sprites have a seperate color scheme than the background?

infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »

Thank you.  Yes, the whole game is made entirely with 4 colors.  The game follows the GameBoy's  resolution (160x144), but the old handheld system's hardware is not powerful enough to do some of the things that we do in this game.  We have been staying "authentic" for the most part, but sometimes you just have to say "enough is enough" and go beyond it.

We are considering extra options for color, but I think the closest thing we might get is the GameBoy Color "Palette enhancement" options before starting the game, as well as some other things.  I think we mentioned before that "Hardcore Mode" (whatever that will be called) will be shades of red, and perhaps black for the darkest shade.  We'll see.
infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »

To Score, or not to Score.  

That is the question.  My team is in flux right now over the importance of having score in the game.  Personally, I want to get rid of it, but Matt wants to keep it because he thinks it's satisfying to see little numbers rise up after you kill an enemy.

I understand when points can be a necessary element of a game and I also understand when they aren't.  Since this game is an action platformer, the gameplay is closely related to that of SMB titles, and even Kirby, Castlevania, Ghosts 'n Goblins, and more.  SMW had a score, but Yoshi's Island didn't.  Kirby's Dreamland 1 & 2 have scores, but KDL3 doesn't, and so on and so forth.  I think it's a sign of the times.  

I'm curious what the general consensus is around here, whether you think score is important or more of an '80's throwback to the arcade days of yore, which had games it is more appropriate for (like Shmups or more arcade-style games) or whether or not we should even bother.

The purpose for this all comes around to cleaning up the HUD.  If we removed score completely, it would greatly clear up room for other things.

Looking forward to hearing your responses.
increment
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »

To Score, or not to Score.
My two cents.  If you have money in the game (and I think you do, I saw a shop screen shot) then don't do a score system.  I do like the idea of having a score but it may get too cluttered with the rest of the HUD.  I suppose it also comes down to just how much the score does (is it only used to get an extra life every 10,000 points or will there be some kind of leaderboard or something else to add importance to the score). Hope that helps and by the way this is looking amazing and I can't wait to play the hell out of it.  Keep up the great work.

Edit:  forgot to mention that music. Oh man, so cool excited to hear more.

infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »

Thanks for replying, increment.  I doubt we'll have leaderboards. We've also discussed that X amt. of points = 1up is probably a bit gratuitous as well, since there are 1up collectibles you can find throughout the game.  Like you mentioned, reducing an already-cluttered HUD is one of our main goals.  If score is still going to be implemented, it's highly likely it will be going within the pause menu.

Also, thanks for the music feedback, Matt appreciates it.
infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 02:33:14 PM »

Whoah, it's been a while, hasn't it?
I've come back to this thread to mention that I will be once again showing off Dethlands at tomorrow's Juegos Rancheros event in Austin, TX.  If you can brave the "cold" please come out, I'd love to talk to you!  It's completely free and open to the public.  Go here for details: Juegos Rancheros Website
infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:10:29 PM »

Hello everyone.  Our website has gone live.  Our media page has also been updated with 15 new screenshots.  

We will be also posting some new video footage very soon, so keep an eye out!

In other news, I will once again be having a public playtest of Dethlands at an upcoming event in Austin.  The SXSW Gaming Expo After Parties will take place on 3/8 and 3/9, at Hole in the Wall, and features a ton of videogame-inspired musical artists like Mega Ran, Danimal Cannon, Brentalfloss, and more!  Go here for the FB Event Page.

The official "Total Destruction" tour page is here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:39:10 PM by infinitysend » Logged
nealneato
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »

Played this at MAGFest - Dethlands gave me a smile and an ulcer. Very difficult and highly addicting.  Crazy

Please release this soon

infinitysend
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »

Video of our first boss battle was posted up today!  Say hello to "Dead Head"

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 06:05:42 PM by infinitysend » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic