Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:31:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMath of the Dead - Educational Arcade Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Math of the Dead - Educational Arcade Game  (Read 2406 times)
Regniwekim
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2013, 12:52:52 PM »

Direct Download

Yoyo Games Sandbox entry

Screenshots/Tutorial

I have a son who is in first grade. He's required to do 20 minutes of math every night as part of his homework. After looking for math related games online, we couldn't really find anything good for his level.

So, he asked me to make him a math game with zombies.

Typing of the Dead immediately came to mind for inspiration.

In this game, zombies walk down from the top of the screen with a simple equation under them. The player must solve the equation to kill the zombie. There is a combo system that rewards rapid, successive kills with bonus points. There is also a difficulty selection that makes the problems use larger numbers and makes zombies spawn faster.

After getting a little feedback, I made some changes to make the game a little more advanced.

Players choose from the following game modes:

* ADDITION
* SUBTRACTION
* ADDITION & SUBTRACTION
* MULTIPLICATION
* DIVISION
* MULTIPLICATION & DIVISION
* EVERYTHING

Players then choose from EASY, MEDIUM, and HARD difficulties. The more difficult the level, the faster zombies spawn and the larger the numbers used in their equations.

The sprites and sounds are ripped from online sources while I make my own. I didn't intend to do much with this, I was just whipping something quick and fun together for my son.

This was made with Game Maker: Studio.

If I get enough positive feedback, I'm hoping to make it HTML5 compatible and release it as a web game.

I'd really like to make sure the game is bug free.

I'm not looking for feedback on sound and graphics at the moment, as they are just placeholders.

If there's anything you think could be added to or changed about the game, that would be nice to hear as well.
JeepBarnett
Level 0

Valve Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 05:45:06 PM »

Great concept! I would have loved this when I was a kid practicing my quick math. A few notes:
- I found division the easiest, because the answers were always 0-3.
- Easy was a little too slow and medium was a little too fast.
- I wish that the difficulty ramped up over time and you were competing to see how long you could last.
- It would be cool if zombies with harder problems walked a little slower and easy problems walked a little faster. That way there's some prioritization of targets and the difficult problems give you more time.
- Combos felt a little weird since you have little control over it. Maybe some zombies could be glowing and explode when you solve them. They you'd try to solve them when other zombies are nearby to combo.
Regniwekim
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

Great concept! I would have loved this when I was a kid practicing my quick math. A few notes:
- I found division the easiest, because the answers were always 0-3.
- Easy was a little too slow and medium was a little too fast.
- I wish that the difficulty ramped up over time and you were competing to see how long you could last.
- It would be cool if zombies with harder problems walked a little slower and easy problems walked a little faster. That way there's some prioritization of targets and the difficult problems give you more time.
- Combos felt a little weird since you have little control over it. Maybe some zombies could be glowing and explode when you solve them. They you'd try to solve them when other zombies are nearby to combo.

I think I could change division to use a wider range of numbers to generate problems to make them a little more difficult.

There is a big jump from Easy to Medium based on the formula I used to change difficulty. I'll see if I can work out a better formula so that there is a more linear progression.

Ramping up difficulty over time seems like it would be easy enough to implement, and would add to the fun. More zombies spawning faster as time goes on seems like the easiest way to implement that.

Varying zombie walk speed is another great idea. I'll see what I can do to add that in.

I like your idea for a combo, but it doesn't seem to offer any more control over what is in the game now. If you want a larger combo, you can try to wait until there are more zombies on the screen and rapidly solve their equations.

Thanks for the feedback. I really liked your ideas, and I'll be working on implementing some of them.
Appvism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:06:30 AM »

Good idea - mixing zombies with maths! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic