Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 04:36:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsManifold Garden
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 63
Print
Author Topic: Manifold Garden  (Read 395044 times)
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1040 on: June 07, 2016, 06:30:37 PM »

Good video!

Also signed the form for the beta test!  Smiley

Nice! Will be in touch soon regarding that. It's been delayed a bit. E3 prep has basically taken over everything.

So far it's only in my imagination. Smiley

No worries. I'm a mind reader Smiley

Hey, cool! Loving these video updates. It's always fascinating to me how often real-world architectural movements inspire you -- and also how often they actually work with the level design.

I also went ahead and signed up for the beta!

Architecture is definitely a major inspiration, but the buildings don't always work right away. I use them mainly as references, somewhere to start. They often end up looking quite different once you start tweaking stuff and making adjustments for gameplay purposes.

Glad to hear you signed up for the beta as well. Really looking forward to hearing the feedback.

I signed up but i guess that your game will not run smoothly on my old machine. Smiley

Part of this is to find the minimum specs.

The best URL I've seen yet Smiley

Signed up for beta. I'm on OSX, will that work? I have access to a comparable Windows 10 machine and a Windows 7 machine so please don't exclude me from builds =)

Ya, pretty happy with the URL Smiley

No OSX build at the moment, unfortunately.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1041 on: June 08, 2016, 10:20:48 AM »

Perfect! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

At this point, I think I've seen some potential spoilers (obviously don't mind) but would prefer to play the complete (or almost complete) version of the game.  Will you have such a testing period later on perhaps?

Kombiice
Level 0

Kombiice

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 08, 2016, 11:38:39 AM »

Perfect! Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

At this point, I think I've seen some potential spoilers (obviously don't mind) but would prefer to play the complete (or almost complete) version of the game.  Will you have such a testing period later on perhaps?

Sounds good!  Wink

Hey
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1043 on: June 08, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »

signed up, ive been waiting for this for a long ass time bro, XP

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1044 on: June 08, 2016, 02:12:57 PM »

At this point, I think I've seen some potential spoilers (obviously don't mind) but would prefer to play the complete (or almost complete) version of the game.  Will you have such a testing period later on perhaps?

Yes - the later stages of beta testing will be looking for more obscure bugs, and not dealing with design. I will be making announcements here and on twitter, and will be very clear about the expectations in each round.

signed up, ive been waiting for this for a long ass time bro, XP

Thanks for being patient!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1045 on: June 08, 2016, 02:31:09 PM »

Devlog Update #304 - 06/08/2016

Kill Screen Fest, E3 Prep, and Weird Build Bugs

The third development update video is now up!

Kill Screen Fest

This past weekend, I went to NYC for Kill Screen Fest, where I was a speaker.

Kill Screen Fest is a one day event. This is the 4th year that it has been happening. Previously it was known as Two5six.

The day consists of a series of panel conversations. Each one would feature one or two speaker, along with Jamin Warren, the founder of Kill Screen. For the panels with 2 speakers, one speaker would be from the games world, and one would be from outside. Together, they'd discuss a shared topic.

For example, there was the "Hellscape" panel, which featured game developer Kitty Horrorshow of ANATOMY, and theater director Felix Barrett of Sleep No More.

There was a panel about post-apocalyptic environments, which had Alex Graham, environment artist on "Everybody's Gone To the Rapture", and Diane Lederman, the production designer on the shows "The Leftovers" and "The Americans".

Then, there was a panel about the genre of girl detective, featuring Zeffa Kinney, the writer of several Nancy Drew novels, and Joe Russ, the creator of Jenny LeClue.

I was on a panel called "Bending Architecture" with architect Jing Liu of SO-IL. It was a really interesting conversation and we discussed a lot of the similarities and differences with creating architecture for digital and physical spaces.

All pictures from above are courtesy of Steve Cate (@Jrnicus)

E3 Prep

Currently working on getting ready for E3.

Yesterday was a pretty rough day, full of a bunch of strange bugs. I had run through a build of the game on PS4, and gameplay-wise, everything was there. However, when I went to the pause menu, the UI didn't work. It worked fine on the PC. This was very worrisome, because I knew this was going to be one of those really painful bugs to track down.

Eventually, we found that it had to do with SRDebugger, a plugin I had downloaded from the Unity Asset Store. We hadn't integrated the SRDebugger in the game. It was just sitting in the project folder.

As it turns out, SRDebugger puts itself at the top of execution order, which was causing problems with inControl. SRDebugger is meant for mobile dev primarily so this isn't really its fault.

However, this is important to be aware of if you're making a game for console. Many of the plugins on the asset store have not been tested to work with each other or on console, so you're going to run into issues like this if they're running behind the scenes.

There was also another bug that prevented me making builds for PS4. This turned out to be some corrupted file, and deleting the Unity project library and rebuilding it fixed this. However, the project is so large now that rebuilding the library takes around 20 minutes or more.

Finally, there was an issue where the inspector was showing rotation as quaternion values.

This happens when you have the inspector set in debug mode, but this wasn't the case.

After searching around, I found this post: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/547905/inspector-window-transform-component-showing-only.html

We had a editor script that had this at the top:

[CustomEditor(typeof(Transform))]

And this was what was causing it. Deleting the editor script fixed this issue.

That's it for today's update.

If you're going to be at E3 next week, I hope to see you there! I will be showing Manifold Garden in the Sony section.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1046 on: June 09, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »

At this point, I think I've seen some potential spoilers (obviously don't mind) but would prefer to play the complete (or almost complete) version of the game.  Will you have such a testing period later on perhaps?

Yes - the later stages of beta testing will be looking for more obscure bugs, and not dealing with design. I will be making announcements here and on twitter, and will be very clear about the expectations in each round.
I'm looking forward to that.  It's like an extra special secret puzzle game inside the regular puzzle game.   :D  

Since you are using Unity, have you looked into collecting gameplay analytics and looking at the so-called heatmaps to see how people play the game or where they might get stuck?  Or perhaps later?

I'm just looking into Unity inputs.  Would you recommend inControl or are there other cross-platform manager assets that would be better (for some reason)?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:27:13 PM by io3 creations » Logged

Kombiice
Level 0

Kombiice

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 14, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »

How is E3 going?  Smiley

Hey
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 20, 2016, 09:04:47 PM »

Dang, I was in Brooklyn on June 4 and totally would have dropped in if I'd known.

The game's really crystalizing, man. Hope you got some solid feedback @E3.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: June 20, 2016, 11:39:07 PM »

Looks great.

ogat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: June 21, 2016, 04:47:02 AM »

Long time lurker here, checking in to say that is one of the most exciting projects on this website, for me.
Really looking forward to playing this!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1051 on: June 23, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »

How is E3 going?  Smiley

E3 went well! Got a ton of great press from the event. Will be posting all the details in a full update soon.

Dang, I was in Brooklyn on June 4 and totally would have dropped in if I'd known.

The game's really crystalizing, man. Hope you got some solid feedback @E3.

Ah yeah, it was a really great event! That's too bad. And yes, I did get some solid feedback.

Looks great.

Thank you!

Long time lurker here, checking in to say that is one of the most exciting projects on this website, for me.
Really looking forward to playing this!

So glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know. Really appreciate all the support.

PsychoScientists
Level 0

Dev & GD

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: June 24, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »

I would so sign up for the beta, but I'm waiting for the full experience. I've been expecting it since I discovered it 3 months ago. Good luck with it! Wink
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1053 on: June 24, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »

I would so sign up for the beta, but I'm waiting for the full experience. I've been expecting it since I discovered it 3 months ago. Good luck with it! Wink

That's a good choice. I mean, I really appreciate everyone signing up for the beta, but the game will get ruined unless you're interested in the behind the scenes stuff.

I'll be archiving the forums and planning to release that when the game is done, so at least people can see what the process behind it all was like.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1054 on: June 24, 2016, 09:04:15 PM »

Devlog Update #305 - 06/24/2016

E3 2016

2 weeks ago, I flew out to LA to begin my convention tour.

I arrived in LA on Sunday, 2 days before E3 started. On Monday, I went to the convention center to upload a new build of Manifold Garden to the show floor PS4. We had submitted a build to Sony a week earlier, but had added additional content and fixed a bunch of bugs afterwards.

E3 was Tuesday to Thursday, and was basically just a whirlwind of press events. My schedule was pretty much completely packed during all three days.

Like last year, I was in the Sony booth, in the PS4 section. This year, the area showing indie games was about a third of the size it was last year. I'm super grateful to have been part of the PlayStation 4 booth this year. I was asked to be in it on the last day, and it is just such a fantastic opportunity.

This year, I was booth neighbors with Night In The Woods, ABZÛ, and Thumper. All beautiful games in their own right. What fantastic company to be a part of!

Usually at conventions, on the last day is when the press will go around putting "Best Of" badges on the various games they have selected.

This year, Manifold Garden got 4 of them! Thank you IGN, PlayStation Nation, 4Player Network, and LevelCamp!

Manifold Garden was nominated for IGN's Best of E3 2016 Awards in the puzzle game section, alongside Batman: Arkham VR and Deus Ex Go. Batman ended up winning, but it was still super exciting to be nominated!

Manifold Garden was also on two of Polygon's writers' top 10 games of E3 lists!

The game also got a ton of press! Here's a list of just some of them:

IGN - E3 2016: 17 Awesome Games You Probably Missed

Polygon - Manifold Garden takes Inception's twisting architecture and turns it into a puzzle

PlayStation Universe - Manifold Garden is a puzzle gamer's dream: Hands-on impressions

Northernlion - Northernlion's Best of E3 2016

Easy Allies - Manifold Garden - E3 2016 Impressions

Arcade Sushi - Tripping Through The Manifold Garden

PlayStation Lifestyle - E3 2016 – Manifold Garden Preview – Be a Witness (PS4)

FactorNews - Premier vertige dans Manifold Garden

IndieMag - Manifold Garden, Le Puzzle-Game Vertigineux, Dévoile Une Vidéo de Gameplay Pour L'E2016

Famitsu - 幻想的かつ幾何学的な世界を舞台に重力を入れ替えながら進むパズルアドベンチャー『Manifold Garden』【E3 2016】

GameSpot - Solving Puzzles in Different Perspectives with Manifold Garden at E3 2016

PC Games Hardware - Manifold Garden: Trailer zum außergewöhnlichen Puzzle-Spiel

Game Revolution - E3 2016: Manifold Garden Is Where Falling Doesn’t Mean Certain Death

Digital Trends - 'Manifold Garden' Creator William CHyr Wants You To Think In Three Dimensions

My biggest highlight of E3 this year was that I got to meet Shuhei Yoshida, the president of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment! He was a delightful person, and stopped by to check out Manifold Garden!

He also had some really nice things to say about the game! :D

After E3 ended on Thursday, I went back to the hotel, then headed straight for the airport to catch a red eye to Indianapolis for Indy Pop Con. I'll talk about that more in the next post.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:10:02 AM by William Chyr » Logged

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1055 on: June 25, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »

DevLog Update #306 - 06/25/2016

Indy Pop Con

Right after E3 ended, I went back to my hotel, packed up, and headed to the airport to catch a flight to Indianapolis.

I got there at 6 AM. Indy Pop Con was about to start in just a few hours.

If you've been reading this devlog for a while, you might remember Pop Con from previous years. It started 3 years ago, and I've been there every year since the first one. Last year they introduced the Reboot Award, where Manifold Garden got second place.

As always, the best part of Pop Con is meeting the players. The convention is small enough that with 2 computers, I don't really have to cut people short when they're playing the game. I just let people play for as long as they wanted to, and several people played for over an hour. One person even played for close to two hours. This is a really good indication for me that the beginning of the game is strong and engaging.

You also remember people from previous years. What's really cool is that for some of these people, they've been able to see the game grow over the course of development through Pop Con.

Like at past events, this year Alienware lent me 2 laptops for the show.

This year, Manifold Garden was also a finalist for the Reboot Award, alongside Tumbleseed and HiveJump.

Once again, this year Manifold Garden got second place, losing to HiveJump.

I now have 2 skateboards...

After Indy Pop Con was over on Sunday, I got a ride back to Chicago with Trinket Studio.

When I got back to my place, there was a really wonderful surprise. The latest issue of Game Informer had arrived!

And on page 74, a full-page preview of Manifold Garden!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 10:02:46 AM by William Chyr » Logged

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: June 25, 2016, 11:47:43 AM »

DevLog Update #307 - 06/25/2016

Additional Press and Save System

When I was in New York earlier this month for Kill Screen Fest, I met up with architecture journalist Alexandra Lange.

My interview with her was just published on Curbed: http://www.curbed.com/2016/6/23/12005774/manifold-garden-video-game-william-chyr

It is one of my favorite interviews I've done so far. I talk about the different architectural influences on the game, and how the works of Frank Lloyd Wright and Tadao Ando offer lessons in level design. I highly recommend checking it out if you want to know more about the inspirations behind Manifold Garden.

It seems like Manifold Garden has been getting a lot of press lately. On Thursday, June 23rd, Manifold Garden was on the front page of both Polygon and Curbed!

Really exciting!

Save System

Tom has been making progress on the save system of the game.

It's turning out to be a pretty massive undertaking. The challenge is that a lot of the gameplay objects (boxes, water, etc) can be brought from one level to another. This means that there is a very large set of states to account for. For example, you can bring a box from world 1 to world 2, direct water from world 3 to world 2, then use the water from world 3 and the box from world 1 to grow a tree in world 2, then bring a box grown from the tree to world 4...

It's coming along though, slowly but surely.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1057 on: July 13, 2016, 11:49:01 PM »

DevLog Update #308 - 07/14/2016

Back from Taiwan. There is so much that I want to update here, but I've been incredibly busy.

It's 2:44 AM right now in Chicago.

The sunset earlier was absolutely gorgeous. The entire sky looked like it was on fire.

Oh, and I got Twitch partnership! I'm over the top about that! Will post more details soon.

In the meantime, here are a bunch of pictures of the latest level in Manifold Garden (ignore the build number we just added that).

Think Inside The Box
Level 0

Think Inside The Box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1058 on: July 14, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »

I don't know how this game slipped under my radar, but it looks simply gorgeous.  Shocked
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1059 on: July 14, 2016, 06:49:29 AM »

There are 170001.. 2 views of this thread. I'm guessing it's gonna be a big hit.

Interested in hearing your notes about Twitch partnership -- what was the minimum viewers you had? Any subscribers earning you $ yet?

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 63
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic