Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411475 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 02:12:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsManifold Garden
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 63
Print
Author Topic: Manifold Garden  (Read 394824 times)
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: June 02, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »

Found this video that has real recursive music (not like the track that I did that is not mathematically correct):

But it's hard for me to imagine nice music composed this way...!

URL fixed; and that's a great video (awesome channel too!)

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1181 on: June 02, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »

Found this video that has real recursive music (not like the track that I did that is not mathematically correct): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq0z-sxjNlo&feature=youtu.be
But it's hard for me to imagine nice music composed this way...!

Thanks for the link. This is pretty cool. But yeah... sometimes stuff that's cool in concept doesn't always work well in practice...
One more question:  I know you mentioned in your reddit post that you'll write in-depth about the recursive portal effect with stencil but I'm wondering about one thing.  Are you using materials with the corresponding stencir "Ref" (reference) numbers?  Using RenderTexture is working fine and since my game isn't that processing intensive I might use that as it doesn't require to have extra material setup.

I've seen seen a Unity thread where someone posted a split screen done with stencil shader but didn't give detailed explanation as to how.  Only mentioned that you can write to the stencil buffer and basically any shape can be used.  I'll look into that once I have a better grasp of shaders.

We do have to have all custom shaders for all materials. As you said, there needs to be a reference number to decide what gets shown and what doesn't.

If rendertextures work for you, then that's totally fine. For Manifold Garden, we need stencil buffers to get the portals looking really smooth.

12LandsBoundlessSpace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 30, 2017, 12:48:10 AM »

Yo, are you looking for beta testers for when you've fixed some of the issues discovered in the first play-through? I'd be all for it, and as I'm looking to go into game development it would be nice to get some experience. Thanks, and I've loved everything I've seen so far!
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1183 on: July 08, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »

DevLog Update #342 - 07/08/2017

Started beta testing again. If you're interested in becoming a tester, you can sign up here: https://goo.gl/forms/18Sr5mKErTxNycgv2

Here is the latest development update video:

Also, Unfolding The Garden series is going really well! Here's a playlist of all the episodes: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNqAA0dqOV6JSqIedLhPnHjy2VWwNfSP6

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1184 on: July 09, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »

Dark skybox looking great!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1185 on: October 25, 2017, 11:46:21 PM »

DevLog Update #343 - 10/26/2017

Wow. Last update was back in July. I've been busy. Been posting updates via Stream (https://www.twitch.tv/williamchyr) and Discord these days...

Not going to go into too much detail about what I've been working on as that'll take too long.

Basically, getting really close to shipping now. Tech is pretty much done. Just bug fixing here and there and making the game run better and more stable.

Been improving art and finally starting on sound. Design still has some flaws, but got some solutions in.

Almost there!

Here are a bunch of screenshots (spoiler warning):

PsycheMac
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1186 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:31 AM »

Great screenshots! It's been very enlightening watching your stream.

Twitter: @PsycheMac
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: October 30, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »

Great screenshots! It's been very enlightening watching your stream.

Really glad to hear that!

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1188 on: October 30, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »

Devlog Updated #344 - 10/30/2017

Here is the latest development update video:

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: October 31, 2017, 12:49:36 AM »

the devlog was very interesting  Grin thanks for sharing.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1190 on: December 12, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »

Devlog Updated #345 - 12/12/2017

I'm back with another update.

I've actually changed the project's progress bar to 90%. It was 70% before. I probably could have changed it a a few months ago. But then again, at the start of 2017 I thought I was at 95% and would be done in a few months. Yet here we are...

As I've mentioned before, I've mostly been sharing development via Twitch, discord, and youtube, so I haven't been as active. It's just much easier for me to post there, as I can do it while I'm working, whereas writing devlog posts actually take me quite a long time.

That being said, I've been keeping this log going for so long, it's a shame to let it fall aside near the end.

Development Update Video 9

Been doing a series of these development update videos. Here's the latest one:

Tech

At this point with tech, we are featured-locked (thankfully). We're not adding anything new gameplay-wise, just focusing on optimization and making the game more stable.

Lots of edge cases with the game saving and loading system, but it's mostly stable now. Saving and loading games has been a big pain to get right. In Manifold Garden, there is a timer in the background running to save the game regularly. The player can also press "Save Game" to save the game, as long as it's not during specific moments where it's disallowed (during transitions, etc). At the same time, neighbor levels are loaded in and unloaded dynamically. Getting all the systems to play together nicely has been a real headache, but it's more or less there.

It's a huge relief because previously playtesters would have to leave the game running on the computer if they wanted to take a break. Now, they can close the game, and not lose all their progress.

We're working on Mac build as well, but having some problems with this as we don't have a mac machine to work or test on.

Sound Design

I've integrated FMOD into the project to begin sound design (more news on that soon). It was pretty straightforward and took much less time than I had expected.

Starting to focus on the PS4 version once again. Lots of issues initially, but this was expected as we hadn't touched the build in months.

Photography Mode

We've added photography world back into the game.

Had to disable this feature while I did a major refactor last year. We had to switch between two cameras, and it was just kind of a pain to maintain at the time.

It's currently using the new graphics pipeline that Arthur implemented, and I've brushed up on the UI. It's still pretty basic at the moment, but we're not going to add anything until everything else is done.

Here are some shots taken recently:

New Art Assets

Been working with a few artists part-time to improve various assets in the game. Mostly focusing on replacing place holder items with final assets, and also adding animation. Here's a selection of the improvements:

Level Design

I'm continuing to focus on level design. In development update #8 (

), I talked about how there were a few design challenges we were facing and some proposed solutions. These have been implemented, and it's definitely an improvement. Players get a sense of their purpose much earlier in the game, which really helps establish where they are going and what they're working towards.

Producer

I've started working with a producer to stay on schedule, and it has been incredibly helpful. I've gone from thinking "what does a producer do?" to "how can anyone get by without one?". We check in on a weekly basis, and I've found it really helpful in establishing realistic milestones and staying focus on what's important (shipping).

Release Date

Still can't give a firm release date, but I'm looking at early 2018. I will of course announce here once I have all the details.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: January 28, 2018, 04:57:57 PM »

"early 2018"
 Hand Clap

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 13, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »

We're working on Mac build as well, but having some problems with this as we don't have a mac machine to work or test on.

Yikes, don't let that stop you. They're not hard to find. Heck, you can borrow mine if you haven't found one by now. Cheesy

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1193 on: April 15, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »

Devlog Update #346 - 04/15/2018

Unity 2017.4

We recently upgraded to Unity 2017.4.

There are a few key reasons for this. The main one is that we can now use MSAA for Anti-aliasing instead of just super sampling. We’re using our own rendering pipeline, and it wasn’t possible for us to use MSAA until 2017.4.

Tech

As far as the rest of the tech is concerned, we’re not adding new features.

We’re focusing on optimization, visual glitches, and bugs - basically making sure the game runs as smoothly as possible.

There are a lot of interconnected systems, so it often feels like we’re playing whack-a-mole with bugs. We fix one, but then 2 more come up.

One of the optimizations we’ve done is we’re using a slightly different render system to render the duplicates. In the past, to create duplicates for the cube, there were 125 instances (as it was on a 5x5x5 grid). However, this meant there were 125 transforms getting updated. The new system actually bypasses the renderer component. Instead of sending information for each transform to the GPU, we store the information for one in a buffer, then just look it up and add the positional offsets.

Additionally, we’re also now doing frustum culling on the GPU.

Saving and loading continues to be a really tricky problem, but it’s becoming more stable. Testing it is rather time-consuming, as it involves playing through the game multiple times.

Audio

We've been working on audio design for the past several months. Most of the sounds in the game are currently placeholder, as we’re focusing on the technical side.

We have about 90% of the audio hooks in. The remaining hooks involve more technical complications. For example, we need to have different sound filters depending on whether you’re indoor or outdoor. This means we need a systematic way distinguish the spaces, which isn't as straightforward when there is world wrapping and complex architecture. There are also situations like having sounds play continuously when you go through a portal (The approach we are using here is to have the sound emitter on the player instead of on the door itself).

Localization
We’ve finished localization. Currently for launch we are planning on having: English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, and both Traditional and Simplified Chinese.

There’s still some work left to adjust the layout for each language and to accommodate the difference in length of words.

Level Design

Most of my focus with level design now is figuring out and refining the pacing in the last third of the game. At some point, I will return to the opening level and retweak it. I was at GDC last month and saw a lot of room for improvement when people were playing the game.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1194 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

Devlog Update #347 - 04/16/2018

Made some improvements to save system. Redundancy back up save system seems to have some bugs.

Ivan Khmel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 17, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »

Superb, been following your project on and off since seeing a GDC talk. Your game reminds me of the artwork by Jason Rogenes.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1196 on: April 17, 2018, 08:02:30 PM »

Superb, been following your project on and off since seeing a GDC talk. Your game reminds me of the artwork by Jason Rogenes.

Whoa. Did not know about Jason Rogenes until now.

I can see what you mean. The lighting in his stuff is really nice.

quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: April 21, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »

Great to see you're continuing devlog updates! Keep it going Smiley

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: April 25, 2018, 10:27:26 PM »

Great to see you're continuing devlog updates! Keep it going Smiley

Yeah, I fell off here for a while. Development got pretty busy, and I've been focusing more on streaming and youtube as my main update outlets. Will definitely keep posting here.

Kyzrati
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: April 26, 2018, 01:44:34 AM »

There are so many decent potential outlets for providing updates that it can be hard to properly keep up with them all. Sometimes focus is a good thing! (certainly healthier in the short term xD)

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 63
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic